What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
shinoco

Post by shinoco »

I recently bought about 30 genesis games and 30 saturn games as big packages, for around 70 dollars total. This includes many classics like Streets of Rage 2, Sonics, Grandia, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Cool Spot, and many more. Considering the following information of why I make my purchases of old gaming and perhaps some ideas that may interest others in old gaming as purchases.

My greatest recent purchase besides the Neo Geo is now an Apple 2E. This amazing 80's computer has hardcore RPG experiences that rival even today's rpg in actual gameplay depth. You can buy a modern rpg but the thing is other than better graphics the gameplay is actual more basic and dungeons are linear, there isn't much to the common themes and stories. The Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games for Apple 2E are rather deep in story and gameplay functions, the battles take precise thought and planning, and it is a very complex experience. It's like comparing AD&D to modern D&D 4th edition, AD&D from 1989 has like 50-100 more rule ideas and more complex systems for rules and is entirely more complex. It has become more casual in gaming because the computer RPG's of the 80's were never popular, and people shun depth for some reason generally. Also there are classic action games, such as Miner, the prequel to and Lode Runner, the original releases, and many others. The Apple 2E has games that are actually a lot more challenging than modern games. For this reason alone I bought one, yet the RPG's are the main reason. Their depth and complexity make it much more involving and there's actual role play rather than battle battle read a story watch a scene. These 360 and modern computer RPG's are more like virtual stories, while AD&D and others on Apple 2 have role play and choices that can change the story and more. You really play the role and make decisions, hence the name, role playing game. It's lost it's meaning of name since about 1992.

Honestly I did not buy the Neo Geo or any old games for nostalgia. I don't buy anything for that. With old 2d, the challenge is immense over any 3d. It's obvious, when dealing with dodging and attacking in every direction, mega challenge. 3d you aim forward and are always seeing forward, you never have to worry about more than basic direction, forward. 3d will always be technically way easier than 2d game.

I bought the Neo Geo because of it's great library of Shooters, mostly, and Fighters. The 2d shooters have such challenge, that first person shooters can simply never have. FPS pares in comparison, I make major accomplishment by mastering a 2d shooter, where in fps, there's virtually no dodging, it's aim and shoot. One idea, while 2d is a whole different field. When there are 20 bullets aimed at me from geometry of 15 different angles, literally one false dpad press and I lose. These games require mega talent on hard difficulty, and FPS is just so basic, 2d shooters are basically some of the most difficult gameplay that can possibly exist on a monitor or TV screen.

What I'm getting at, is with buying an old console, anyone looking for challenge can have loads of fun. With new consoles, it's mostly theme and story, even the beat em up styles, the 3d models are so big you can hit from 10 different ranges, where in Streets of rage, I literally have to be practically parallel, it's very common for people to miss a lot of attacks, usually every few attacks they miss one because of the exact placement required to hit. Because of this most rely on easy difficulty in a lot of 2d games, although if you play Streets of Rage twice a day for a month, you just may complete it on hard. Most give up very easily on challenge. Games have become suited and are just glam and showcase that people get into now.

If you were to buy a Neo Geo, don't worry about any kind of nostalgia, if you enjoy challenge of video games it is one of the best systems to have, because you get not only that yet some huge 2d sprites with gorgeous animation and the best part, no loading. These carts almost hold as much as a CD on the later carts, literally, huge 2d graphics with almost perfect animation, sometimes seems perfect as though it has every frame possible for paticular movement, and yeah, never loading because it's huge mega carts. Maybe research Neo Geo at this point, you just may find a great load of fun. Emulation is just not good enough or accurate, the sound is off, the display tears and ruins it for me, with my real arcade board that connects to my TV it not only looks better and less pixelated, it's on 27 inches of TV and without graphic glitches which I experienced in every emulation I tried long ago. I can't ever get 60 fps perfect smooth animation of the screen scrolling or sprite movement in any emulation, it always looks slightly torn and about 40 fps, which makes 2d look terrible. I have tried it on recent powerful computers, it's just a flaw with emulation of any kind. To truly get the full experience, a real system is definately a must.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Its been about a year since I made a large investment on a Saturn Game. So I thought it was high time!

Ended up getting a mint copy of Guardian Heroes off Ebay. Paid 65$ which seems to be the average fair price for a copy in this condition.

The motivation of getting this ahead of games like Dragon Force and Burning Rangers was the fact that I finally found someone with a heavy desire to play it. A friend of a friend has actually wanted to play this since he saw it in a magazine back in 96 when he was younger.

I was never sure when Id actually pull the trigger on Guardian Heroes. I guess I always figured if I bought it I would only play it co-op with someone to get that full enjoyment out of it. Alas that day has come. Very excited to play it for the first time. Ive only heard rave reviews.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I must say Guardian Heroes is fantastic with 2 players. A friend and I got through only 1 scenerio before he left on his trip but it was great. There are still many other story paths we have yet to do. This game would have been insane for Netlink play.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

wip3outguy7

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Speaking of Guardian Heroes, I finally got a complete one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TuG0DfVfEw
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Nice video. I got a copy that is practically mint like yours for around 65$ but I paid for overnight shipping so a friend and I could play before he left for 5 months.

Great game. Him and I remember reading about the game 12 years ago... 12 years later we are 24 years old and finally we able to play the game. Its quite a treat even though we have no nostalgic connection to it.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Picked up a complete copy of Silpheed on the Sega CD for $3 today.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Oh, yeah. It had been a while since I'd purchased anything classic-gaming related, so I forgot about posting in this thread. I've already talked about some of the stuff in my Tokyo thread, but I'll sum it up here:

-Super Famicom controller
-Super Famicom AC Adapter
-Tokimeki Memorial: Some Kanji subtitle that will take me a long time to translate (SFC)
-Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (SFC) (an "everyday use" copy, rather than my nice boxed one)
-Magic Knight Rayearth (SFC)
-Shin Megami Tensei IF (SFC)
-Shin Megami Tensei (SFC)
-Shin Megami Tensei II (SFC)
-Ranma 1/2: some Kanji subtitle (SFC)
-Ranma 1/2: another Kanji subtitle (SFC)
-PC Engine (destined for Jerry)
-Twin Operator RG-VC2 (PhotoCD and VideoCD MPEG decoder card for Saturn)
-Doom (Saturn)
-Tokimeki Memorial drama series volume 2 Irodori no Lovesong (Saturn)
-something something Utena something something (Saturn)

Kanji takes me a painfully long time to translate, so please forgive me for not doing it. The only exception was that Tokimeki Memorial game for Saturn - the title was conveniently printed in English on the side of the box. I should also mention that these are all "imported" Japanese games, except for once, I'm the one doing the importing. =3
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

I'm way jealous man. :D You're living the dream!
Manji

Post by Manji »

hey everybody. i bought Quake for the Sega Saturn today. found it for $10. i might have played a Quake game at some point in time, but i dont really remember. is Quake on the Saturn pretty good? i dont have my saturn hooked up right now so i haven't had a chance to play it.
JerryTerrifying

I bought this sweet spy camera disguised as a car alarm remote and it's the coolest thing ever. Ran me just a few bucks on ebay. Totally the coolest thing ever. The newest video on my youtube was filmed with it and it actually looks pretty damn good.

I've also been getting into the 360 more and have really gotten into Mass Effect.
Manji

Post by Manji »

not really game related but i bought my brothers Cadillac tonight. i think ive had only 2 other cars in my lifetime besides this one, so it's my third car ive owned. it's a black '94 Cadillac Seville STS. paid $1200, it's got about 180k miles though. still looks really clean on the outside and runs good too, but i'll need to spend a little more money making sure its going to last me for at least 2 or 3 more years.
JerryTerrifying

Pciked up Battle Monsters and Wipeout for the Saturn. $5 for both complete in excellent condition. Alsio pickedu p a long box version of NiGHTS for a friend.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm in the process of acquiring some parts in order to fix up/mod the Game Gear I bought a while back and the Dreamcast with the bad controller port that my brother found for me. I'm also thinking of building an SD card mod.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Macabre

Post by Macabre »

DO IT! The sd card mod is so easy, and its far more important that most people realize;

~Yes it can play normal iso's, but without the space limitation of a cd-r, it can play a full backup
~With a 32 gb sd card you can literally hold about 20 dreamcast games in the palm of your hand.
~the current software even supports ripping your legit games to the sd card! You can borrow your friends library and have a complete copy of it! (this would have been perfect when games where rent-able in blockbuster)

And by far the best thing about this mod;

~Repeating! Being able to play games on larger space than a cd-r, larger than a gd-r...larger than a dvd... Its dependent on the sd-card, and i'm fairly sure that 32 gb is a rather large amount of space (compared to a single-layer blu ray with 25gb, or a duel layer with 50).

And the 32gb sd card is just what i happen to have, they do make them with 64gb, although it's a bit pricey.

Thats important because it removes one of the limits most home-brew and cross-console porters have regarding the already-impossibly-easy-to-program-for dreamcast.

Granted larger files have longer loading times... but still!

If you like, I've already successfully made one, and once I get another serial cable part, i'll be making a step-by-step video guide on youtube of me turning a vmu into a sd-card reader that literally plugs in the back of the system, complete with exact parts required, soldering, testing, how to download/burn the software, and use.

I saw someone wanting to make these and sell them for $99. The parts to make the most basic reader (no serial cable, one literally attached to the dreamcast) is less than $10, assuming you have a soldering iron.

It was cheaper for me to buy a package deal of components off ebay (package of 20 or 50), and after I post my video, I was going to post it on the dc-talk forums, with an offer of shipping a few envelopes of the 3 parts to those who wanted it for free.

This is something that A.) should become readily available to any dreamcast owner without charge, and B.) should be shared by everyone TO everyone to spread its use!

edit; there is only one known downside to the sd-card, and that is some games just don't seem to work nicely with it (typically cinematics that are kept "farther away" from the center of the iso...i think, iirc those who made the software are looking into it).

edit edit; you know, there's a serial port on the back of a saturn too. How cool would it be if those same software developers made their program work on a saturn? You could literally hold a massive % of saturn games just in the palm of your hand on one sd card.

Most likely won't work - the program was made easy for dreamcast due to it running a sort of windows.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm betting the serial port is slower on the Saturn, too, but I could be wrong.

I had already decided to go ahead with it before you responded; I had already ordered a 32GB SD and a cheap SD reader to cannibalize a few days ago. It wasn't until after I posted that I decided to buy a Neo Geo Pocket link cable - I'd really rather not have to perform any modifications to my system if I don't have to. I plan to modify the cable so that it will retain it's current abilities in addition to letting me use it for SD cards.

I haven't ordered the other components yet - I'm still compiling a shopping list for my other projects. Then I'll order all the other components at once.