What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

Wow, that shipper was retarded. Anyway how's the Netlink over the internet project going?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Not really the right thread for this, as we're getting really off topic... but it's kind of stalled. I still think about it, and have just about everything I need... except the telephone line simulator. I can either fork over $100-$250 bucks to buy one, or I can spend (an educated guess) $35 or so and hours and hours of effort to build one. And I'm going to need two in order to test everything. On top of that, everyone who will want to use the program will need one. Theoretically, under the absolute best circumstances, only half of the people would need them (one person per connection), but the other person would need a voice-compatible modem. On top of THAT,I still haven't figured out how to control the voice portions of a modem.

I'm still researching to see if I can't find telephone line simulators more cheaply; but it's not going well. Or if I could find an easier, faster way to build them... Either way, it's not a great system; if the program works, somehow everyone's going to need to get one of these simulators, and they're either going to have to fork over a bundle of cash, build one themselves, or someone's going to have to volunteer to build and sell them. I'm not going to be the one to mass-produce these things by hand.

In saying this, I've thought of another possibility... I have seen somewhat cheaper line simulators, but they aren't as automatic. There would need to be a point where one person would have to press a button on his unit in order to make it work. If people would be willing to buy one of these units and respond to an on-screen prompt to push the button... that would be another option. I'm not 100% sure that they'd work, though. I'll go back and look at the sites again to see if they'd work for what I have in mind.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
dbdrummer88

New stuff

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I guess i will have to get this back on topic lol

I currently have
-Baku Baku
-Astal
-Night into Dreams
-Daytona USA: CCE
-Sonic R
-Virtual On
(I also have the web browser 2.0)

I would like to get advise on games that are fun and somewhat easy to find/buy.

I am open to all types of games, so let me know what you think is good! :)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm looking for awesome games for my Saturn as well. Something that really hooks me. I think that Panzer Dragoon has come the closest to accomplishing that, but not quite. Maybe I should play Nights more; maybe that will get me into it. Right now it just doesn't make much sense to me. Any recommendations for other games?

And what are Baku Baku and Astal?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
dbdrummer88

Games

Post by dbdrummer88 »

Baku Baku is a puzzle game with animals and food.

Astal is a platformer.

I havnt played that much of astal, and the couple times i played baku baku it was pretty fun.
Manji

Post by Manji »

bought rockman X4 for $7. i guess there is a limited version and a regular one. regular version has the blue disc, limited has the red disc and some text on the front cover. im not sure about the content, but i wonder what the differences are. i got the regular version. it was a lot cheaper than what megaman X4 would have cost me.
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

I bought one of the like foot long Saturn fighting/arcade pads. It's sooo BIG., but awesome.
grolt

Post by grolt »

dbdrummer88 wrote:Thats a great all-in-one system Warp2063, i have the same thing and am working on getting more games for th 32x and sega cd :)
No, the great all in one would have the Power Base Converter to play the Master System games. Seriously, man, the Master System is where it's at. Probably my favorite system library of games. Playing some of those with the 3-D glasses is an experience unrivaled. And Wonder Boy III? Masterpiece.
That's fly.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Warp2063 wrote:I'm looking for awesome games for my Saturn as well. Something that really hooks me. I think that Panzer Dragoon has come the closest to accomplishing that, but not quite. Maybe I should play Nights more; maybe that will get me into it. Right now it just doesn't make much sense to me. Any recommendations for other games?

And what are Baku Baku and Astal?
Baku Baku is a pretty cool twist on the ol' Tetris formula. My favorite part of the game is how FAST you can go from having a clean playing area to a filled game over. It is such a fast back and forth game, that's why I really prefer it multiplayer to almost any other puzzle game. Usually, in Dr. Mario or Tetris or whatever, it's pretty clear who is going to win after a certain point and you just wait it out. With Baku Baku, though, you could be winning one minute and then fighting to avoid touching the top of the screen the next. Very fun.

Astal is a true classic. My favorite platformer for the system, and with some of the most beautiful graphics ever. Keep in mind this was a launch title, too! It is relatively short, and not overly tough, but there are a number of fresh gameplay advancements that keep it a notch above the usual 2-D platformer. Astal himself has a ton of attacks, and the interactivity between him and the bird (which can be optionally controlled by a second player) is really creative. The bosses kick ass, and it has one of those really nice cheesy Sega stories much like NiGHTS. Seriously, don't ever pass this game up!
That's fly.
Manji

Post by Manji »

today i picked up Dark Savior and King of Fighters '95. however i got KoF because it was a KoF game and only $15, come to find out it wont play on my SS because it requires the rom cart that comes with it (not just the action replay im using). so basically i need a japanese system or region switch mod my saturn to play that :/ oh well. still have the game! :D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Did you get the ROM cart with it? Because I believe it's useless without it. I think that was one of the games that had textures pre-stored on the cart.

If you do have both parts, could you use the swap trick to defeat the region protection? Personally, I'd go region switch mod, but that would require me to take my Saturn further apart than I ever have before. I should pick up some parts... it would make playing my imports so much easier.

On topic:
I picked up a memory card for my Saturn. Despite the seller's claims that it was "official", it ended up being one of those cheap Interact ones that tend to work very poorly. Also, you can't save directly to it, so I'm quite disappointed. My AR 4-in-1 could already to that.

I also picked up an official and an unofficial memory card for my Sega CD, as well as Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3 (complete with case, instruction manual, poster, and official strategy guide)!

Only a month and a half until Pier Solar! :D
Manji

Post by Manji »

Warp2063 wrote:Did you get the ROM cart with it? Because I believe it's useless without it. I think that was one of the games that had textures pre-stored on the cart.

If you do have both parts, could you use the swap trick to defeat the region protection? Personally, I'd go region switch mod, but that would require me to take my Saturn further apart than I ever have before. I should pick up some parts... it would make playing my imports so much easier.
thankfully it did come with the Rom cart, however i thought it was a 1 meg or 4 meg ram thing. i don't know how to do the swap trick, maybe you could explain it to me but if it could possibly damage my saturn then i might not use the method.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Manji wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:Did you get the ROM cart with it? Because I believe it's useless without it. I think that was one of the games that had textures pre-stored on the cart.

thankfully it did come with the Rom cart, however i thought it was a 1 meg or 4 meg ram thing. i don't know how to do the swap trick, maybe you could explain it to me but if it could possibly damage my saturn then i might not use the method.
It could potentially damage your Saturn, but so could the region switch mod (if done wrong or flipped during operation). Region switch is safer. Basically it involves defeating the door open/closed sensor so that it always reads the door as closed (taping the sensor in the closed position), putting a disc from your region in, pulling it out after the Saturn has decided it's a legit disc, then swapping in your foreign disc before it starts reading the game data.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

New post for new stuff!

I ordered five Saturn games today! :D

Grandia
Shining Force III
Magic Knight Rayearth
Panzer Dragoon RPG
Sakura Taisen

I'm so excited! Granted, all are the Japanese versions (which saved me a bundle; people charge too much for the US versions of those games).

I should get around to doing that region switch mod; the Action Replay is bothersome.

I can't wait until they arrive!
Manji

Post by Manji »

those are some sweet rpg's you picked up and you're right about the prices people charge for those games in english, it's kind of insane. in fact, i've given up hope that i could even play panzer dragoon saga in my lifetime because the game costs $250+ and i'm simply not paying that much for a game. it's pretty sad, but i haven't given up on shining force 3 yet.

by the way, which scenario did you pick up?