What did you buy today?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp2063 wrote:I've always wondered how Myst turned out on the Saturn. The only other console version of a Myst-series game I've played was Myst 4: Revelation on the original Xbox. It worked well, but the loading it took to go from one place to another or click on anything was REALLY irritating. It just took too long to do anything. I much prefer the PC versions.
Myst was one of the first games I would borrow from my friend back in 97-98. It was the first time I played it too. Its very cool and interesting. Alot of thinking but the environments and the surreal nature of the game were something so original.

I havent played the game since. Getting older now I dont know if I have the patience to play all over again. Its very long and quite difficult at some puzzles. I did just pick it up but a guy threw it in with Resident Evil and Primal Rage.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

This is a compilation of stuff I bought over the last 3 weeks since I got the itch to re-collect saturn games. A few I had before or when I was younger that I had to get again. It helps I got a sweet tax return but I told myself Im done spending for now!

1. Panzer Dragoon - I never played any of the Panzer games when I was kid and had a saturn. Boy was I missing out. I beat this in a week but it was fantastic and I have teh second one coming in soon.

2. House of the Dead - Paid 60$ but the game is the best condition saturn game I currently have now. Almost better than my sealed games. Guy said he opened it a week before selling and I believe him. 100% complete and mint. Awesome game. My 2nd fav light gun Saturn behind Area 51.

3. Doom SEALED - Doom is on my All time top 10 games ever list. Yeah I know people say the Saturn version is a letdown but its Doom!! and its on the Saturn!! Theres no way I could not own this. And it was 9.50 sealed on ebay!

4. AMOK Sealed - Same guy that I got doom sealed from. It was only another 5$. A game I saw at Toys R Us when I was kid and wanted to play but never did so for 5 brand new no way I can pass up

5. Hexen Sealed - 9$ on ebay. I was a big FPS fan when the Saturn came out so any FPS on the system is worth my time. hexen is a little more fantasy/fps but still worth 9 sealed to me easily. I was almost going to buy it used days before for 8.

6. Resident Evil - Great condition. Coolest version of RE in my opinion. Ive beat all the RE except for the first. I got halfway through it when I played it the first time on Saturn but sold it. So I cant wait to play again. Battle mode is a cool saturn only feature.

7. Primal Rage - One of my favorite fighting games from when I was a kid. A dino/creature fan but also a fighting fan. Fun game overall for those looking for a different fighter.

8. MYST - Tossed in with Rage and Res Evil on a deal. But I was looking to get this again. Myst was a game I spent alot of time on when I was younger but never came close to beating it.

9. Saturn Bomberman - 40$ off ebay, mint complete. Never got to play this when I was younger but wanted to. Now that I have Netlink I cant wait to try it out. Also have a friend who likes bomberman who never played this. Cant wait.

10. Nights Long Box - I had the cardboard one with controller but for collection reasons I always wanted the plastic case one and I bought a brand new 3d controller in box for 15 to go with it. Looks better on the shelf!

11. Sonic R - Another game I never got to play. Ive read the reviews and heard all about since its release but I love Sonic and its like his version of Mario Kart. Videos on youtube look cool even if its not Mario Kart fun.

12. Die Hard Arcade - One of me and my brothers favorite arcade games ever. I had before but sold it. Its cool its also Saturn only game and one of the most fun beat em ups on any platform

13. Galactic Attack - Pretty much the only US released 2d shooter which is unfortunate. I had to buy it because I never played it and it was only 10$ at my local shop

14. NHL 97 sealed - 5$ shipped on ebay. Plus Im trying to collect all the hockey games for Saturn in general. Big hockey fan.

15. Accessories - Netlink Modem, Stunner NIB for 15, 3D contr NIB for 15, Saturn backup official memory cart in box for 35
Manji

Post by Manji »

wow, a lot of great games! you really cleaned up on some ebay saturn shopping.
13. Galactic Attack - Pretty much the only US released 2d shooter which is unfortunate. I had to buy it because I never played it and it was only 10$ at my local shop
i agree it is unfortunate. japan got all of them of course (e.g. cotton, radiant silvergun). however, darius gaiden is a shooter i've been looking to get.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Manji wrote:wow, a lot of great games! you really cleaned up on some ebay saturn shopping.
i agree it is unfortunate. japan got all of them of course (e.g. cotton, radiant silvergun). however, darius gaiden is a shooter i've been looking to get.
Ill have to get Darius next. Only thing I wondered is if you can turn the camera in Darius to go bottom to top. Its a mini pet peeve of mine with 2d shooters, i like when they scale up
grolt

Post by grolt »

That's quite the haul, Derek. Nicely done.

I never played the original Panzer Dragoon as a kid, either. When I bought my system I sent away for the free demo, got it, played it to death and then decided to wait to spring for Zwei instead. Well, Zwei was and is amazing, but after getting the first game anew five years ago or so, I was pretty amazed by how good it both looked and played. As far as colors and level design goes, I think I actually prefer some levels in PD to anything in Zwei. It's actually a real blast to play with the Mission Stick, too. What a fun peripheral that thing was. I still play Congo with it!
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

grolt wrote:That's quite the haul, Derek. Nicely done.

I never played the original Panzer Dragoon as a kid, either. When I bought my system I sent away for the free demo, got it, played it to death and then decided to wait to spring for Zwei instead. Well, Zwei was and is amazing, but after getting the first game anew five years ago or so, I was pretty amazed by how good it both looked and played. As far as colors and level design goes, I think I actually prefer some levels in PD to anything in Zwei. It's actually a real blast to play with the Mission Stick, too. What a fun peripheral that thing was. I still play Congo with it!
You can play Congo with the mission stick Grolt?

I laugh that you mentioned the Congo game. I thought I was the only person in the world that liked that game. Im afraid to tell people Congo is one of my favorite Saturn games :)

Basically the story behind that game is back when the Saturn came out I was a HUGE FPS fan. This was back when the genre FPS actually meant something. Now there are so many that its not fun just to play a game beacuse its an FPS.

I had beat Quake, Duke (for the first time on Saturn not PC). Played Alien Trilogy, Powerslave, Doom (all versions of doom are loved regardless), Hexen. But I always would read this gamepro review for Congo. It said it was awful but the pictures looked great. It was the only FPS I hadnt played, it was Saturn exclusive. And I love jungle settings. Match made in heaven for me. I got it about 5 years ago for the first time. Its tough but I just enjoy running around in the jungle in an FPS for once.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:
grolt wrote:That's quite the haul, Derek. Nicely done.

You can play Congo with the mission stick Grolt?

I laugh that you mentioned the Congo game. I thought I was the only person in the world that liked that game. Im afraid to tell people Congo is one of my favorite Saturn games :)

Basically the story behind that game is back when the Saturn came out I was a HUGE FPS fan. This was back when the genre FPS actually meant something. Now there are so many that its not fun just to play a game beacuse its an FPS.

I had beat Quake, Duke (for the first time on Saturn not PC). Played Alien Trilogy, Powerslave, Doom (all versions of doom are loved regardless), Hexen. But I always would read this gamepro review for Congo. It said it was awful but the pictures looked great. It was the only FPS I hadnt played, it was Saturn exclusive. And I love jungle settings. Match made in heaven for me. I got it about 5 years ago for the first time. Its tough but I just enjoy running around in the jungle in an FPS for once.
Heh, you're basically describing my history with the game, too. I still have that Gamepro mag, and yeah, despite the pans I thought it still looked like fun (and that all those sprite-based graphics weren't all that horrendous). I used to play Quake to death on the computer, so I was all over FPS games at the time too. I even had a Congo poster in my room that I snagged from a theater when it left. I was pretty jazzed about the game, especially since it was produced by SEGA themselves. Hell, it was even featured on the back of the system box at launch. Unfortunately, I never could find it whenever we'd take the trip into the big city and my brother and I would pit stop at Toys R Us.

Flash forward a decade and I'm in the midst of trying to acquire a full first-party Saturn set. Even then, Congo was a game that eluded me. It ended up being one of the very last games I got for the system before I got my set. When I finally did get it, I threw it in right away. I don't care what the haters say - it's a fun game! The control is pretty good, and the on-screen maps and secret areas really help make things interesting. The presentation is really solid, too, with all those FMV transmissions from that dude lost in the jungle. It's like a good version of Corpse Killer.

Believe it or not, Congo is one of the very few games that was actually designed for play on the mission stick. Look on the back of the box, it has the mission stick icon there. It's certainly an experience with it, at any rate. But yeah, I'll stand by the game for sure. Congo is great fun, I hope to finish it soon once I get all these RPGs out of my system.
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Grolt that is so funny its like mirror stories.

I tried to find Congo 1997-2000 and everywhere I looked I couldnt get it. I even called a few phone order places that said they were out.

Id literally read that Congo GamePro review once a month when I had a saturn just dreaming of how the actual game would play. Minus the review the pictures kept me wondering. I still have that Gamepro. In fact I just sorted out my Gamepro Mags. I have all issues from 1996-1999. All of the Saturn reviews covered.

I guess us FPS people thought alike back then. FPS games were few still, more so on console, so regardless the game had to be played!

I like the movie as well (Jurassic Park is my #1 all time movie) but I just remember when I finally got the Congo game, like you, I put it in right away. 5-6 years of looking at 2 pictures (and the quick video on the sampler disc) I had to play the game to satisfy a letdown from childhood ha!

Ive played the game alot. Every time I play I like the dept in the jungle, the weapons are cool. Just like you said the secret areas off the beaten path are really cool. My favorite level, not sure if you got there yet, but its 3 or 4. It has a river that runs in the middle and multiple bridges. That level is loaded with secret paths all over including the river itself if youre brave enough to jump.

Too funny I meet someone who followed the Congo trail as I did. before I was too embarrassed to admit my longing to play it.

The fact that its the ONLY Saturn exclusive traditional corridor shooter makes it pretty cool, and the mission stick thing makes it even more fun to collect.

I consider the traditional FPS gameson the Saturn to consist of these 7 games only. Games like mech and other half arsed ones dont count.

Quake, Powerslave, Hexen, Doom, Alien Trilogy, Quake... and Congo!

Unlike you I didnt get into PC until 1999ish. When I started level designing and playing Kingpin/Half life religiously.

But before that I played Doom whenever I had the chance. I didnt play Duke or Quake until Saturn and both are in my Top 15 games for the system easily. I always wished they would have converted Shadow Warrior to Saturn for us FPSers!
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Manji

Post by Manji »

received Metal Slug yesterday! it works beautifully with my 4 in 1 cart, although there is a ton of wonderful sprite work going on at once during some parts, and seems to make the game slowdown but it's hardly an inconvenience. in fact, it's quite helpful since everything is so chaotic at times. i'll have to get one of my friends to play this with me in 2P mode.

the art gallery is nice and so is the time attack stuff in the combat school mode.

i also think i got quite the deal too. i paid $18 for an absolutely mint copy, although it is incomplete without the spine card. i recommend Metal Slug for all of your fast, arcade-style, 2D action shooting needs.
Manji

Post by Manji »

i have officially joined the Astal owner's club. i have to say, it's an awesome side-scroller. controls are good, i love the sound and of course the graphics are bold and beautiful. simply wonderful :D. and i also picked up D along with it. two games most of you already have in your collections here :wink:.

i'm still looking for those official s-video cables, but the good news is i have connections that should be coming through for me sooner than later 8).
grolt

Post by grolt »

Glad you like Astal! Ahh, such a beautiful game. I should throw it in again soon. I could always go for more of that second level.

"Get away from me you stupid bird!"

Oh, and D is another game I need to play. I haven't played that one since when it first came out. Very scary stuff though - it freaked me out more than all the Resident Evils. The story is pretty rich, too, which adds to the fright, since the doctor seems like such a believable menace. That part with the severed hand in the box still manages to scare me even without playing it.
That's fly.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I should give D a try... I'm still looking for another horror game that I'll actually enjoy. The only one I ever got into was Eternal Darkness on the GameCube. Maybe D will be the next one?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

Warp2063 wrote:I should give D a try... I'm still looking for another horror game that I'll actually enjoy. The only one I ever got into was Eternal Darkness on the GameCube. Maybe D will be the next one?
maybe, but D has an interesting twist. small excerpt from a guide:

RULES OF THE GAME - There is a two-hour time limit in this game. If you fail
to complete it within that time the game will terminate. Laura enters the
hospital at three o'clock, so you must finish up before five. You cannot pause
the game during play.

so basically you'll need at least 2 free hours to complete the game or if you can get through it faster, then that works too 8)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Manji wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:I should give D a try... I'm still looking for another horror game that I'll actually enjoy. The only one I ever got into was Eternal Darkness on the GameCube. Maybe D will be the next one?

the game during play.

so basically you'll need at least 2 free hours to complete the game or if you can get through it faster, then that works too 8)
I'm not good with time limits. =P I have to explore every single corner that I can.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
grolt

Post by grolt »

Warp2063 wrote:
Manji wrote:

the game during play.

I'm not good with time limits. =P I have to explore every single corner that I can.
D's scary enough that you'll actually want to avoid all those dark corners.
That's fly.