The New Guy

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Canadiangamer

The New Guy

Post by Canadiangamer »

Hey Everyone!
I was so glad to find this site and connect with other active Sega Saturn Gamers. I had a Saturn when I was a young teenager and have recently bought a new console and have started establishing a collection.
I've aquired just about every US RPG and light gun game, now I'm going to try to get some netlink games, so far I only have bomberman. The rest seem pretty tough to come by!
Do you guys have any set nights where you hook up on netlink? I'd love to get involved if there is a group going.
Also if anyone knows where i can find netlink or other rare saturn games (other then ebay) post a message or send me an email at somewhereinbetween@live.com
Hope to hear from you all!!!
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Hey, welcome to the site always nice to see a new face :)

Goodluckw ith your search...you are right some of the netlink games can be hard to come by, which makes the hunt part of the fun :)
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Sweet! Welcome to the forums!

(List off some more light gun games... I only know of Policenauts and Virtua Cop 1 & 2!)

Anywho, as for finding Netlink games... your best bet that I know of... is eBay. Sega Rally Championship (Netlink Ed), Virtual On (Netlink Ed) and Duke Nukem 3D are pretty cheap and ranging from very common to fairly common on eBay. You're lucky that you have Bomberman; that one is pretty rare, somewhat expensive, and semi-hard to come by, just because of its popularity. Unfortunately, getting ahold of Daytona's Netlink version is nearly impossible. It's so rare that people rarely sell it, and when it's going, it's not going cheap. Wikipedia even notes that it goes for up to $600. :(

As it is, the only ones I've ever found outside of eBay have been Sega Rally and Virtual On, and they came in an original, shrink-wrapped box that I found on some other site online. Other possible places to hunt are local game stores (other than GameStop and EB and such), Craigslist (I'm assuming there's a Canadian one...), yardsales, hunting through websites online... there's lots of options... it's just that eBay is generally the easiest way to find them, and oftentimes you can find VERY good deals on the more common games.

We don't really have a set night for hooking up and playing Netlink games... most of the time, you just either post that you want to play and see if anyone else is interested, or you message individual people. The biggest difficulty is that playing Netlink can be difficult and/or expensive. Most of us don't live geographically close to each other, and long-distance phone calls aren't cheap... unless you're on a digital phone plan; and trying to use a Netlink over a digital phone line is extremely unreliable at best. Still, feel free to ask around; most of us want to play, it's just a matter of finding a way and a time. :)

Again, welcome to the forums!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Hey!

Welcome!

I hope you bring connection to the league! ;D
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Canadiangamer

Post by Canadiangamer »

Thanks!

I'll hopefully get a netlink soon if i can grab a few games. Are there only 5 netlink games?!

The light gun games I own are -
Corpse Killer
Area 51
Maximum Force
Scud the disposable assassin
The House of the Dead
Virtua Cop 1 & 2
Die Hard Trillogy
Crypt Killer (which was the hardest to find!)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Canadiangamer wrote:I'll hopefully get a netlink soon if i can grab a few games. Are there only 5 netlink games?!
Yeah, only 5 were released in North America.

-Daytona CCE:NetLink Edition (extremely rare and expensive)
-Duke Nukem 3D (pretty common, reasonable price)
-Saturn Bomberman (uncommon, pricey)
-Virtual On: NetLink Edition (common, cheap)
-Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition (common, cheap)

There were a few more released in Japan, but their Netlink system was a little different, and I kind of doubt that the games are compatible with a NA Netlink. *shrugs* I may look into that later.
Canadiangamer wrote:Corpse Killer
LOL. I didn't know there was a Saturn version of that game. I own the Sega CD 32X version. I hate it, but when I need a good laugh, I plug it in. XD

I need to look into getting a couple of those... probably the Virtua Cops and Die Hard Trilogy... I'll have to research the others.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
maniac35

Post by maniac35 »

i am in montreal canada and im getting netlink. if u ever interested to play , let me know. ill get duke nukem for sure. i cant do long distance so if u can or live local then contact me.
Canadiangamer

Post by Canadiangamer »

Maniac I will get a netlink soon and pick up duke nukem as well. I'll let you know when i'm all set up then we can play

As for the light gun games, VC2 is a ton of fun, I like house of the dead and area 51 quite a bit too...I haven't even unwrapped corpse killer since it looks pretty sucky, or scud...
maniac35

Post by maniac35 »

Canadiangamer , like i said in another subject , i bought Sega Rally , Virtual on and Duke Nukem netlink versions and should get them within a few weeks. I will let u know when i do. Cant wait to play them. Can u do long distance ? I dont have it for free but if u dont either we could arrange something. I hope that its gonna work because when playing local it is supposed to work fine but i guess it can be a big lag problem with long distance connection. NS is not too far but not close either. We will have to try to know it.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

There can be a lag problem over long distance, but it doesn't mean there will be. It's not always a problem.
Canadiangamer

Post by Canadiangamer »

I'm definitly going to try this out, i gotta get a long distance plan when i get the netlink
maniac35

Post by maniac35 »

Ill do the same but i have to try it first to see how it works before taking a plan or something like that. I do want to try it even if i have to pay long distance from time to time. I know that i can have free long distance with others who have Videotron but thats only in Quebec... Even if u have free long distance or a plan , it wont help if the connection is bad so i suggest to try it first.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Welcome! Nice to see another Canadian. What part are you from? I'm in Calgary, along with a few other members here. I've got all the games save for Daytona, so I'm always up for a game, although if you live on the other side of the country my VOIP connection will probably cut out on you.

Corpse Killer is crappy fun, but be warned, even though it supports the light gun on the 32X/CD, it does not support any gun on the Saturn. So lame! Crypt Killer I've never played yet, it's still one I am trying to find. All the other light gun games, though, are all surprisingly great. Even the Die Hard Trilogy segment is tons of fun.
That's fly.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Welcome! Nice to see another Canadian. What part are you from? I'm in Calgary, along with a few other members here. I've got all the games save for Daytona, so I'm always up for a game, although if you live on the other side of the country my VOIP connection will probably cut out on you.

Corpse Killer is crappy fun, but be warned, even though it supports the light gun on the 32X/CD, it does not support any gun on the Saturn. So lame! Crypt Killer I've never played yet, it's still one I am trying to find. All the other light gun games, though, are all surprisingly great. Even the Die Hard Trilogy segment is tons of fun.
That's fly.
Canadiangamer

Post by Canadiangamer »

Hey Groit!
I'm from Nova Scotia
I think I recently bought some games from you on Ebay actually, or someone with a similar name at least
I have ordered a netlink and duke nukem, i have bomberman already so when that comes in i am up for some action
I dont have a long distance plan, i'll just pay for it then if i play a lot i'll gear up a plan, i'm sure i can get canadian unlimited long distance pretty cheap

I'm going to try to upload a picture of the games i have so far, but im not sure how to do it haha