Introduction topic!

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Introduction topic!

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Hey guys. I just registered an account here yesterday and have been poking around a little bit. A little bit about me and my Saturn, I bought one on Ebay last year with the rest of the Sega consoles because I never owned any of them. I haven't really gotten around to getting any games for the Saturn yet, I ordered one of Amazon yesterday and after finding out about the Netlink snagged one of those too. Anyway I'm hoping someday to get my ass kicked in some multiplayer games...or at least see the Saturn webbrowser in action.

So hey, what's up!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Great to see another face - well... figuratively anyway - around here! Relatively close geographically, too!

I'm not very good at versus games; so you probably don't have too much to worry about from me. :D

And if you want to set up the browser, we can help you get that working too!

Welcome to the forums! And if you've got any questions about anything, just ask. We're pretty friendly around here, and usually someone will get back to you fairly quickly.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

heya jerry. nice to hear about your new saturn and netlink.

what game did you order?
JerryTerrifying

Well I was watching the Happy Video Game Nerd (look him up on youtube that guys great) and he mentioned the game D. Which is a kooky little japanese survival horror/point and click/CGI movie game and I thought it sounded interesting. It was either get it for the Saturn for $4 or for the playstation for $40. So I went with Saturn, as I need some games for it and you know common sense cheapness.

I'll probably pick up Duke Nukem 3d since I can snag that either at a brick and mortor store or cheaply off Amazon/ebay easily. But the biggest hurdle is going to be getting a phone line in here first lol. But I'm working on that.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Is your console Japanese? Or modded? Or do you just plan on doing the swap disc trick?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

It's an American Saturn and unmodded. Uh oh, what don't I know?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Don't worry. As long as you got the US version, you'll be fine. When you mentioned that it was a Japanese survival horror game, I was concerned that you meant it was a Japanese copy of the game, in which case you'd need to find a way to play it using one of the methods I listed before. However, now that I've researched the game a bit further, I see that there were US and UK releases of D as well. So, as long as you're using a US Saturn with a US disc, you'll be fine. Sorry to alarm you. >.<

I'm rather a fan of Japanese games, so most of my Saturn collection consists of Japanese imports. However, all my Saturn consoles are US region-encoded, so I had to buy a cartridge that lets me play games from any region on my Saturn. Other options involve swapping discs (which can damage your system over time and requires a certain amount of practice to pull off), or modifying your system (which I'm currently working on, as one of the games I own is capable of detecting the import cartridge and won't let me play.)
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I tried the swap trick a few years ago just for kicks. It's not too hard to get right, you'll pick it up after a few tries.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
maniac35

Post by maniac35 »

Warp how do u deal with japanese text ? I also have a few japanese games and they are almost impossible to play because i dont understand it. Can u also tell me which cart are you using to play imports ?

Jerry , i think you will be dissapointed with the web browsing with the Saturn. It is only a 28.8 modem and you cant save anything and many features are no longer available from what i saw. Unless you dont have other methods of connecting to internet , i would not invest in an isp for it. If you really really need the Saturn for web browsing , you should also look for a keyboard and a mouse because it must be a pain to use a controller to go on internet. :roll:
JerryTerrifying

Yeah I didn't mean it was a Japanese region game just that it's kooky and something that would be more popular in Japan where it was made. I know about that 4 in 1 cart to play imports. Haven't bought one yet but I'm sure I will eventually. Because there are some imports I would love to play but I'm focusing on USA junk for now.

I just want to use the Netlink and browser because it's a feature that I can still use on my Saturn and I think that's kinda cool in itself. I've always been interested in using the net on consoles ever since I heard about it for the Dreamcast. Speaking of which I'm having a problem getting the old DC online. I actually worked on that project last night. I had to move a lot of crap to get to my long lost phone jack that I haven't used ever since I've had a cell phone. My DC dials every thing correct but it nevet connects. Is it because I'm trying to use Netzero and it's not compatible or what? Any of you dudes have any suggestions?
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Hmm... NetZero. I just did a little research on it to supplement what I remembered... do you have their HiSpeed service? The Dreamcast's web browser wouldn't have the software to decompress the data that NetZero sends out for HiSpeed subscribers, so that could be the problem. I don't know if you can turn that feature off or not without changing your subscription plan, though, as I've never used NetZero. It's possible that something is not configured correctly, or maybe the PlanetWeb browser just isn't compatible with your ISP. But that's just a short list of general possibilities. I haven't had a dial-up ISP for years, and I've owned my Dreamcast for less than one, so I've never had to configure it to connect to anything other than my computer or another Saturn.
JerryTerrifying

I have high speed internet for my computing/online gaming needs I couldn't live with dial up. I just made the free basic netzero account for the purpose of playing with my Dreamcast. I've seen the tutorial out there for making the DC server on your computer and that looked a lot harder than just making a free dial up account. So I pretty much just want to see both my Saturn and Dreamcast online doing their thing just because I can.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Using your computer as a dial-up server is somewhat difficult, but not too bad. However, one of the secondary goals of the project I'm working on is to make such connections easier. As it's only a secondary objective, it probably won't be one of the first things I finish, but it is on my mind.

As for the NetZero issue:
http://www.netzero.net/signup/requirements.html
Some of the operating systems that are not supported include: Windows 3.11 or earlier, Windows CE, Palm OS, Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 2, Microsoft X-Box, Web TV, Unix/Linux for Mac, and Mobile Phone Web.
I can't tell if that relates only to their 3G service, their Platinum service, or all of their services. However, it looks like connecting through them may not work. If the Dreamcast won't work, I don't think you're going to be able to make the Saturn connect through them, either, as both the Saturn's and the Dreamcast's browsers work pretty much the same way, and both lack the ability to be updated.
JerryTerrifying

Well I'm pretty sure netzero won't work with the Dreamcast. As far as I can tell I'm enterting all the information correctly. There is one reason I want to get my DC online besides seeing the browser in action. I really want to have custom tags in Jet Grind Radio. I used to write graff when I was a dumb kid so I'd like to do that in a less risky/destructive manner. hahaha.

What operating system are you using for your DC server?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

My current ones? Win98 SE. I have my old computer from 1996 set up to act as a dial-up ISP for my Saturn. I haven't bothered to set up my Dreamcast with it yet. I also have a newer computer running Virtual PC, and I'm running Win98 SE inside of that. I have the same dial-up ISP configuration set up in that copy of Windows as well, so I can use either computer as the server simply by moving the phone line to the other computer. It's more convenient to use the newer, faster one... especially because having the server running on a virtual computer means that it isn't hogging that computer's whole internet connection, so I can use a web browser on the same computer at the same time.