Introduction topic!

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I don't think I can run Virtual PC on my machine. :/ IF I could I'd try making a DC server myself.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, like I said, the other computer I have set up to act as a server is an old machine from 1996. It was just an old one that I had lying around. 200MHz, 128MB of RAM, and a 40GB hard drive running Windows 98 SE. It also has an old Ethernet card and a 28.8kbps modem in it. You could probably get away with an even older machine than that and use Windows 95 if you wanted. If you're using it with your Dreamcast, I'd recommend using a 56kbps modem, though.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

I can't get Virtual PC going....I'd like to have been able to, to set up a DC server. Oh well.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

That's why I'm saying - find an old computer and set it up instead. With the exception of the RAM and the hard drive, I got that whole thing for free back in 1998. If you don't have the parts yourself, usually it's not too difficult to ask around to see if someone has an old computer they don't use anymore.

There's more settings involved in getting Virtual PC to work in general anyway, and then more to make the server work through it, on top of the normal setting up of the server software. It's not bad, but it's still more complicated.

Right now, I can't say there's really that much reason to connect your Saturn to the internet. There's only slightly more reason to hook up the Dreamcast, but most of the internet features in the games don't work anymore. If there's a specific problem you're having with Virtual PC, I could try and help you sort it out, but it might just be easier to scrounge up an old computer and set up the server on that.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Well every now and then I check craigslist for computers and there's a seller that has a bunch of PC's for $40 bucks all running XP. I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to acquire a copy of Windows 98, wipe the HD and install it.

Besides just wanting to see the internet on my poor ol Sega's the only other reason is to get some custom tags on my Jet Grind Radio. Plus I'd be willing to play some PSO on some private servers if I was able to.

Lol I wish I bought a Dreamcast back in 2001 when they were brand new for $50 and I still had dial up. I'd always wanted to see the dang internet on that sucker.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Plus I'd be willing to play some PSO on some private servers if I was able to.
Without a Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, you're going to need to get a CodeBreaker to override PSO's attempts to connect to the official Sega servers. And you would still need to create your own dial-up ISP. :?
JerryTerrifying wrote:I'd always wanted to see the dang internet on that sucker.
Me too. But now that I have the full capability to pull it off, I haven't bothered. =P
JerryTerrifying

Yeah I've looked into playing PSO on private servers and have a pretty good idea on what to do for that. The biggest hurdle is getting the dang Dreamcast oline.
maniac35

Post by maniac35 »

I dont really see what is the use of having a Saturn , a Dc , or any other old system to go on the net for surfing when you have a pc which goes much faster and can do whatever you want without problems. I can understand for gaming because i got the Netlink for it myself , but not for the browser part. Its like driving a junk with oil leaks and mechanical problems when you have a nice Ferrari in your garage.
JerryTerrifying

Becuase I can. I want to use it for gaming purposes too though. I just want to see all the features. I have the internet hooked up on my Wii but I never play online with that and rarely web browse on it. My ps3 on the other hand I play online, browse the web and all kinds of crap.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I would like to see all the internet features of all the Dreamcast games as well, but I'm sure many of them don't exist anymore. :/
JerryTerrifying

Well for Jet Grind Radio you just need to be able to go online and save a jpeg to your VMU for custom tags. I really want to do that. But all I need's a good free Dial up ISP that's not long distance.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think I've seen one or two other ways of getting pics onto your VMU for Jet Grind Radio... one of them involving a link cable with your computer, and one of them involving a homebrew program.
JerryTerrifying

Hmmm I might have to do some googling.
JerryTerrifying

Woooo I got my netlink in the mail a few days ago. Now I just need to actually go see if I can find Duke Nukem in one of the used game shops around here. Then I can start looking to test this bad boy out.
maniac35

Post by maniac35 »

You are lucky if you can find this at your local store but you should find it easily on Ebay because there was many the last time i checked. Thats where i bought Duke Nukem with Sega Rally and Virtual ON and i am waiting for them to get here but it takes a while due to the holidays... I also got my modem last week. Cant wait to try this! If you want we could give it a try. Just let me know.