Action Replay and import help

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Manji

Action Replay and import help

Post by Manji »

i'm looking at purchasing a game (Metal Slug), but it utilizes the extra 1meg ram cart. i own an action replay plus and i'm wondering how it works as a switch between 1 or 4 meg ram functions as it's advertised to do and whether or not it's safe to import a title that uses the extra 1 or 4 ram cart required to play.

thank you for any help!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, I've never played a game that required the memory expansion, but as I understand it, the Action Replay Plus automatically works with any game that uses a standard RAM expansion, whether it has a 1 or 4MB requirement. There's no setting that you have to tweak; it just works.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

cool, thanks. i think our understanding about how it's supposed to work is the same because i was guessing it worked that way too. which is to say, automatically. i wanted to make sure though.

also, i think it would be helpful to make a list of games that dont work with the AR. like i'm pretty sure Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG doesnt work, along with one of those x-men vs. street fighter games. the list would be small i guess, but helpful. i found out the hard way KoF '95 won't work without the rom cart, so now i'm stuck not being able to play that one until i get a region switch modification or a japanese saturn.

anyways, thanks again! i'll let you know how it turns out.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG definitely does not work with the Action Replay. I've tried it. The Saturn starts reading the disc, but within a few seconds gives you a message asking you to remove the cartridge. After that, it dumps you back to the Saturn's startup menu. I've found Action Replay codes to override this if you're trying to play a US or EU version of the game on a console it wasn't designed for; but I haven't been able to find one for the Japanese version.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!