Netlink problem

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
maniac35

Netlink problem

Post by maniac35 »

I just got a Netlink modem and i cant make it work. When i tried the browser (without installing the phone cable) , it said that the cartridge was not detected or not inserted or something , but it was inserted. Also , i didnt see a Netlink menu when powering my system without a disk. Does it mean it doesnt work or am i doing something wrong :?:
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've noticed that the Saturn's cartridge port is rather finicky. I usually have to try inserting my carts in several different ways before I get the Saturn to fully recognize them. For me, most of the time it works if I insert the cart normally, then raise the right side of the cartridge juuuuust a little bit. Turn off your system before you make any adjustments, though, then turn it back on to test. Then be sure not to touch the cart after you get it working, or you may have to adjust it again.

Also, there is no Netlink menu for when you start up the system without a disc. It just boots to the Saturn's normal system menu.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Yeah, it's not 100% realiable. But almost.

Actually, is good if it's displaying that message. Sometimes you are doing something, reading something, and the modem stops working. There's no message for that, the message appears only in the startup.
But that happened to me like two times, and never happened when connected, only when reading something offline, setting-up, etc.

Just turn the Saturn off, take out the modem, insert it again, and turn it on. If you don't see any message, it should be working.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
maniac35

Post by maniac35 »

Thank you for the help. I will have to try it online to see if it works.
grolt

Post by grolt »

I'll echo these comments - it often takes several tries to finally get the modem to register with the system. It's the same way with memory cards with me. I'm not sure if that was always a Saturn problem, or only one that's materialized with age. I only started sticking things in the cartridge slot in these past couple years.
That's fly.