Obscure Saturn game: Winning Post, anyone ever heard of it?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Scooter

Obscure Saturn game: Winning Post, anyone ever heard of it?

Post by Scooter »

While browsing through a used game store today I saw a decent copy of the Saturn game Winning Post. It is apparently about horse racing. Just like a car racing game with a career mode, you buy and sell your horses, prep them and bet on, or against, them. It looks like a fairly obscure title and it was pricey at $40.

Has anyone heard of it or had an experience playing it? I couldn't find any reviews of it.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

They're still making Winning Post games, but they appeal to only a very niche market, so they don't make many copies, from what I can tell. I used to work at a video game store, and we got one or two of the newest version in while I worked there... over the course of two years.

http://www.gamespot.com/saturn/sports/w ... index.html
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sat ... games.html
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/ ... 4460/28116

There you are. A couple links that talk about or mention the first Winning Post game for the Saturn.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

It is a game more popular in Japan. A few of them ends in the US.

The US Saturn one is very expensive. But most people like to collect and don't care playing... .-.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
grolt

Post by grolt »

$40 is a good price for a complete one. It's one of the most expensive games for the system, since at this point it's still the only Winning Post game to be converted and playable in English NTSC. It's a cool sim game, too, definitely a game worthy of the price if you're into that sort of thing. Copies on eBay usually fetch like $55-75 in complete good condition.
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

grolt wrote:$40 is a good price for a complete one. It's one of the most expensive games for the system, since at this point it's still the only Winning Post game to be converted and playable in English NTSC. It's a cool sim game, too, definitely a game worthy of the price if you're into that sort of thing. Copies on eBay usually fetch like $55-75 in complete good condition.
I originally asked Scooter to buy it and send it to me for 40$ because of its interesting game play but I put 40 towards getting Bomberman at the time. I hope some day I come around to finding this.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:
grolt wrote:$40 is a good price for a complete one. It's one of the most expensive games for the system, since at this point it's still the only Winning Post game to be converted and playable in English NTSC. It's a cool sim game, too, definitely a game worthy of the price if you're into that sort of thing. Copies on eBay usually fetch like $55-75 in complete good condition.
I originally asked Scooter to buy it and send it to me for 40$ because of its interesting game play but I put 40 towards getting Bomberman at the time. I hope some day I come around to finding this.
Hey, you can't go wrong with Bomberman. I'd pick that over Post, but this is a NetLink form, so you'd think we all would. Still, definitely give it a shot if you find it cheap. I've seen a few eBay auctions go for much less than usual, since although rare the game does have a limited appeal.
That's fly.