My Saturn game collection

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Personally, I'll go as early as 16-bit. It's very difficult for me to deal with 8-bit systems. There are very few exceptions I can make for anything older than SNES/Genesis/etc.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
grolt

Post by grolt »

Warp2063 wrote:Personally, I'll go as early as 16-bit. It's very difficult for me to deal with 8-bit systems. There are very few exceptions I can make for anything older than SNES/Genesis/etc.
Then you're missing out, my friend. The Sega Master System is filled with an amazing catalog of games for a system with such a short run in the States. It has some innovations, too, that even systems today can't touch, like the shutter 3D glasses and games. Games like Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe Warrior, Rescue Mission and Space Harrier 3-D are amazing games that you can't find on any other system. Do yourself a favor and give it a shot - the system and games are dirt cheap these days.

Nice collection, Scooter. You've got a pretty solid foundation of most of the great core Saturn games. If you like Quake and Duke Nukem, then you have to get Powerslave, since that's the Lobotomy engine that powers both those games, and it's a totally unique take on the FPS. To date I'd still say it's the best console first person shooter out there. More Working Designs is always a good thing - Magic Knight Rayearth comes from the same team behind parts of Phantasy Star, and it's notable as being the last official release on the US Saturn. Sega Ages has some good nostalgic fun, and Albert Odyssey is a pretty solid action RPG. Winter Heat/Decathlete are two big sports recommendations, too - great party games! Mystaria/Blazing Heroes is a solid example (and I believe the first) of the early polygonal RPG. Astal you've added, but where's the Bug! love? Both those games are great fun, and to this day still unique since nobody else really capitalized on that 3D/2D gameplay.

Before going off for too long, my last big recommendation at this point would be Dark Savior. I'm obsessed with that game right now, and I'd say it's easily one of the most intricately thought out games out there. Such an epic, and with five different endings depending on how you handle certain aspects in the game, it's one that demands to be played again and again. If you get only one more game, make it that!
That's fly.
Manji

Post by Manji »

i had dark savior for a while and didnt enjoy it quite the same. i mean, it is a really nice looking game, i love the graphics and everything, i think it controls pretty well but the battles are weak. its like one on one fighting and it's not very balanced. the battles really took me out of the game and while it does have all those different endings, i think i was confused on what i had to do to. maybe i should give it another shot.

it's not a bad game though and i'd still recommend checking it out too.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Manji wrote:i had dark savior for a while and didnt enjoy it quite the same. i mean, it is a really nice looking game, i love the graphics and everything, i think it controls pretty well but the battles are weak. its like one on one fighting and it's not very balanced. the battles really took me out of the game and while it does have all those different endings, i think i was confused on what i had to do to. maybe i should give it another shot.

it's not a bad game though and i'd still recommend checking it out too.
Ahh man, you have to give it another shot! There are some good FAQs on www.gamefaqs.com pertaining to the game should you get lost. They also point out a number of cool easter eggs too, like the small mini-game that is playable if you go in the kids room at the start of the game.

I actually like the fights too, since they are quite a bit different than any other RPG out there. It's basically Street Fighter but with the added depth of being able to charge up magic and send out fighters better suited for the opponent at hand. While it still comes down, to a point, to button mashing, there is still quite a bit of strategy there. If anything, it's definitely unique.

What I really love about the five different endings is that not only are the endings different, but so is the entire course of the game. You're not doing the same thing twice (other than a few bridging portions). It's essentially five different games in one...how cool is that? I've even stumbled upon a parallel that is not documented in any books - it just goes to show the depth this game has, despite its accessible action/platforming spirit.
That's fly.