Saturn game: Astal Ever hear of it?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Scooter

Saturn game: Astal Ever hear of it?

Post by Scooter »

I saw an odd game at the used game store the other day and bought it. It is call Astal and is a fairly basic 2D platformer. The graphics are real pretty. The thing that kind of caught my eye is that the spine card does not contain the name of the game, only the Sega Saturn logo. It's the same on both edges of the spine card. I've never seen a game that didn't display the name of the game on the edge of the box, in fact, that's kind of what drew my eye to the game in the first place. The disc and box and instructions were all in nice shape too.

Daytona CCD: NetLink Edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: NetLink Edition
Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yeah, there was a little talk of Astal on the forums a month or two ago when someone else picked it up... It was recommended to me, but I still haven't gone looking for it yet.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Wikipedia says the game is somewhat rare, guess maybe I'm lucky I got it for $4.69.
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I wish I could go to this store you speak of... it sounds awesome.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

We're a friendly bunch, you can visit any time. There are actually two stores in the small chain in my area (Lincoln) and three more in Omaha, about an hour away. I visit them all when I can because I usually can find a few gems here and there.
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Astal is one of those games I used to see at my Blockbuster all the time but never rented it.

Its generally considered one of the best Saturn games and one of the last of the good side scrolling 2d adventures.

My local game store has it as well but for 10$. Id like to get around to playing it eventually.
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I have this game, its a platformer.
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
Manji

Re: Saturn game: Astal Ever hear of it?

Post by Manji »

Scooter wrote:The thing that kind of caught my eye is that the spine card does not contain the name of the game, only the Sega Saturn logo. It's the same on both edges of the spine card. I've never seen a game that didn't display the name of the game on the edge of the box, in fact, that's kind of what drew my eye to the game in the first place.

i remember grolt was selling some of his games on ebay, Astal being among them. he had some very in depth item and game descriptions and i remember reading about Astal being the only saturn game to have this anomaly. it's certainly interesting :) .
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Manji wrote:
Scooter wrote:The thing that kind of caught my eye is that the spine card does not contain the name of the game, only the Sega Saturn logo. It's the same on both edges of the spine card. I've never seen a game that didn't display the name of the game on the edge of the box, in fact, that's kind of what drew my eye to the game in the first place.

i remember grolt was selling some of his games on ebay, Astal being among them. he had some very in depth item and game descriptions and i remember reading about Astal being the only saturn game to have this anomaly. it's certainly interesting :) .
They probably finished everything up and said, "Okay, let's send it to production!"

...And then they saw that they forgot to put the title on the spine. =P
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

Yea this game is pretty fun, it was supposed to show the great 2D capability of the saturn. I have heard that it is quite rare.

Also a little off topic, i just recieved my sealed xband modem in the mail today :)
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp2063 wrote:
Manji wrote:

They probably finished everything up and said, "Okay, let's send it to production!"

...And then they saw that they forgot to put the title on the spine. =P

I wonder if thats as good as DOOM for Saturn. Back of the box says 2 Player capabilities. Yet the feature is missing from the game entirely.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Scooter your post made me look into Astal and buy it. I found it for 8$ at my local shop. Ill have to give a whirl tonight.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Manji wrote:

I remember selling it, too. :)

I've said this in threads here before - Astal is really a great game. Buy it. It was a 2D game right when all the rage was on texture-less polygons, so it got completely swept under the rug by all game reviewers and players at the time. I actually never would have got it were it not from a blunder on SEGA's part, where they sent me Astal instead of my requested Bug! as the bonus game of choice for the promotion they were running when I bought it. Wanting 3D gaming, I was pretty miffed about the whole thing, but after popping the game in I was totally wowed.

Each sprite looks like a piece of a painting, and the gameplay really holds up with enough variety in attacks and uniqueness in working with that bird to elevate it above most other platformers out there. The story, too, albeit cheese on the same level as NiGHTS, is still pretty captivating and innocently effective.

My only gripe with it is the lack of a save feature, although there's a code for a level select, so it's not a total loss. Still, it's that small setback that makes the game feel more like a 16-bit platformer than anything else. As one of the Saturn's launch titles, though, you need to cut it some slack, because as others have pointed out today, it has now endured as one of the most beautiful games on the system. The score is great too. Get it!
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Just played Astal for the first time. My gawd Grolt you werent lieing.

The game is gorgeous. I only made it through 5 levels but so far the first initial level was the most beautiful so far. The sound is great as well. The whole flow of the character and his bird makes the story and combat pretty fun if not basic. Another gem I never played before.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
grolt

Post by grolt »

Glad you like it. I really like the second level a lot, how it gets dark and all you hear are those swarms of birds flying above you. Couple that with the music...very atmospheric. Each and every level has its own wonderful design quality, though. It's a shame they never got the game in Europe.
That's fly.