SONIC R - your thoughts?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

SONIC R - your thoughts?

Post by xDerekRx »

I remember back in the day when Sonic R was first released, the reviews were bad.

People said A. Bad controls B. Bad draw in C. Bad Music.

I finally obtained Sonic R.

The first time I played it I couldnt believe how odd the controls were and the levels were easy to fall of. So Im like, maybe they were right.

However! Literally the 2nd time I played each map, and when I learned the L and R drift buttons - The Controls were no problem at all. In fact I think the controls are quite easy. It helps to play each map 1-2 times before to get a feel for when a hard turn is coming but after that I had 0 problem getting around the levels. I dont even notice the draw in when racing and I think the music is very catchy. Its that cool Jap Pop you get in these type of games.

Overall I really like Sonic R alot. As much as my N64 copy of Mario Kart. Its fun and I like looking at the polygon Sonic environment. I think most of the bad review givers just needed to give the game a second chance.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've been meaning to get Sonic R and give it a try... just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Its quite fun. Ill admit that its a bit easy and the tracks arent as robust as Mario Kart or as memorable. But it has all the sonic characters, levels, features (like coin and emerald collecting).
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I had picked up this game a few months ago, and i enjoyed it. Music was probably the best part of the game,(which i beat in less than 2 days)
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

dbdrummer88 wrote:I had picked up this game a few months ago, and i enjoyed it. Music was probably the best part of the game,(which i beat in less than 2 days)
Im seeing in the end Sonic R is really a short game. Also I keep feeling the tracks could be more... memorable. Like Mario Kart there are tracks that are very solid. There are 2 that I enjoy playing again. After beating all the tracks with Sonic I felt I beat the game but found the coin and emerald collecting add to the replay value a bit. The time attack modes do as well as I cant seem to find the 5th baloon in 2 of the courses.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Sonic R is a great game - probably one of my favorite sonic games next to the Master System version of the original and Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. It really "gets it" when it comes to what makes Sonic such an interesting property. I know it is made with a racing container in mind, but really, it functions very well as the kind of 32-bit 3D upgrade that the franchise needed. The levels are intricately designed, and all the multiple pathways provide a lot more replay value than your typical racer, even compared to Mario Kart standards. That's what the old school Sonic games were all about - tearing through a level and settling on whatever pathway felt most accessible at the time. There aren't a lot of tracks, but like NiGHTS, the levels are so nicely designed that replaying them over and over for time attack purposes really makes for a lot of fun.

The drift control works great, and is again another reason why this game stands out from most other Mario Kart clones. There's quite the technique to controlling it, and while it doesn't have the easiest learning curve, once you master it it's a hell of a lot of fun.

There's a fair degree of challenge to it too, getting all those chaos emeralds. There were a couple tracks I had to play a good 50 times before I could finish in first while getting all the five gems - and even then I'd sometimes lose the face-off race. Unlocking Super Sonic was awesome, though, and made it all worth it.

Accolades abound for the score, which is the light, poppy fun that makes this game so easy to pick up and play on a whim. Traveller's Tales also deserves due credit, for their work graphically on this game is no doubt benchmark for the system. The use of transparencies here in unparalleled and totally convincing on a system that supposedly could not handle it. The light sourcing, reflective surfaces, and fully polygonal environments, all at a solid frame rate, are all some of the best work done on the Saturn, period.

ScrewAttack recently ranked it as the worst Sonic property...pfft. Fools.
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Grolt all I heard about Sonic R was bad things before I got it.

When I finally played it I loved it. The control are great, the graphics are very cool and the music is top notch.

The added 5 coins, 5 baloons and emerald collecting adds almost an adventure element to it. I think its a very cool game. It doesnt stack to Mario Kart but if people stop comparing it to that and take it for what it is, its really fun.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:It doesnt stack to Mario Kart but if people stop comparing it to that and take it for what it is, its really fun.
Well, it's certainly a prettier game than the sprite-based Mario Kart 64, and the A.I. is much more realistic and challenging. It's not that stupid "catch up no matter how good you are doing" kind of crap Nintendo pulls with MK. In Sonic R, if you light it up one round, you'll leave your competitors in the dust.
That's fly.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

*starts searching harder for the game*
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

grolt wrote:
xDerekRx wrote:It doesnt stack to Mario Kart but if people stop comparing it to that and take it for what it is, its really fun.
Well, it's certainly a prettier game than the sprite-based Mario Kart 64, and the A.I. is much more realistic and challenging. It's not that stupid "catch up no matter how good you are doing" kind of crap Nintendo pulls with MK. In Sonic R, if you light it up one round, you'll leave your competitors in the dust.
I just spent the last 2 hours unlocking stuff. Very cool as I didnt know Gold Sonic was an unlockable! Im glad I did the the emeralds first.

Grolt my real only complaint I have about this game that would have put it at a 10/10 for me is the 2 player. I wish the draw in wasnt that apparent. In the single player, the draw in is no problem whatsoever and doesnt get in the way. But in 2 player split screen , unless you know the course, its tough. Only reason I complain about that, is because now I know all the maps and shortcuts, and I wanted to school my brother. But Id almost feel bad subjecting him to the 2 player split screen unless he learned the map very well before hand.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:
grolt wrote:
I just spent the last 2 hours unlocking stuff. Very cool as I didnt know Gold Sonic was an unlockable! Im glad I did the the emeralds first.

Grolt my real only complaint I have about this game that would have put it at a 10/10 for me is the 2 player. I wish the draw in wasnt that apparent. In the single player, the draw in is no problem whatsoever and doesnt get in the way. But in 2 player split screen , unless you know the course, its tough. Only reason I complain about that, is because now I know all the maps and shortcuts, and I wanted to school my brother. But Id almost feel bad subjecting him to the 2 player split screen unless he learned the map very well before hand.
The problem with retro gaming is that you often don't have subjects to play against. It's been forever since I've given it a shot in two player, but I can imagine the frustration since nearly every other Saturn racing game (Daytona, Sega Rally, etc.) all suffer from some pretty noticeable draw in in split screen.
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I agree. But even with say Sega Rally.. which Ive done split screen recently, its bareable.

Sonic R would have been a really cool for Netlink or 2 system link. But what game wouldnt have been good for netlink :)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:Sonic R would have been a really cool for Netlink or 2 system link. But what game wouldnt have been good for netlink :)
Myst. :D
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

grolt wrote:
xDerekRx wrote:Sonic R would have been a really cool for Netlink or 2 system link. But what game wouldnt have been good for netlink :)
Myst. :D
I think we are bringing up Myst too much :)

I actually just got it for 1$ the other day. I never beat it but played through alot of it when I had my saturn back in 97
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Macabre

Post by Macabre »

xDerekRx wrote:Id almost feel bad subjecting him to the 2 player split screen unless he learned the map very well before hand.
Thats the best part! There's nothing more amusing than being around your friends and having a pretty rough match of halo or unreal, and when they win and boast that you "suxorz" you bring out something like Sonic R or NiGHTS pvp and set them strait.