Sega Saturn S-video?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Manji

Sega Saturn S-video?

Post by Manji »

did Sega ever release a first-party brand s-video cable for SS? i think standard composite is good but i do like the sharper, cleaner look of s-video. i also like to use officially licensed sega products on sega consoles to ensure long lasting quality. i've seen s-video cables on ebay, but those are generally 3rd party brands that have nothing to do with sega.

iirc i've seen sega japan s-video cables, but never seperate from a console or something else. also wondering if anyone knows any good places to check or to keep checking?

thanks
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

There were several different video cables that Sega never officially released in the US. I suspect that the S-Video cable was one of them. Japan definitely got it, as you said, and they also got an official VGA cable on top of that. Europe got SCART, but that's to be expected.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

thanks warp. i will have to be patient and hope one surfaces eventually. 8)
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I wish i could get an official s video for my saturn, or maybe even the vga cable. That would be one of the greatest things i could buy for my saturn.

-Also:
Would anyone know where to fairly easily find a vs. link cable or video cd card?? If know one knows what they are, here is a quick link for pics:

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/sega_saturn_faq.html

These would be great things to add to anyones collection. Please let me know if anyone has any info on either of these items.
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The DirectLink cable should be pretty easy to get... there are a lot of Japanese games that support the cable and also contain said cable as a box-in... just check various eBay auctions and other sites. I found several links from a simple Google search. You could probably pick up a game and cable for under $20.

The VCD card, though, will probably be a little harder. I haven't searched very hard for one, as I have very little interest in obtaining one. I only have one disc that it (the VCD/Photo CD version) might come in useful for, anyway. I did find a couple sites that claimed to sell it, again, from a Google search, and if the first site I looked at was legit and not outdated, I don't think 16 British Pounds is a bad price.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

Thanks for the info Warp. I am just trying to get as many things as i can for my saturn without going overboard. I want to get those 2 things, multitap, steering wheel, light gun, and maybe a few more basic contollers.
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

dbdrummer88 wrote:Thanks for the info Warp. I am just trying to get as many things as i can for my saturn without going overboard. I want to get those 2 things, multitap, steering wheel, light gun, and maybe a few more basic contollers.
No problem. Do you also have the Mission Stick?

I'm also thinking of picking up a light gun for the Saturn... is there any light gun that I simply shouldn't get for the Saturn? One I should lean towards?
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I do not have the mission stick but i have looked at them before. What type of games works with it?

And it looks like there are 2 different light guns for the saturn. The virtua gun and the predator gun. It seems like the virtua gun is more "official" because the predator can be used with the ps1 as well.
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

dbdrummer88 wrote:I do not have the mission stick but i have looked at them before. What type of games works with it?
Panzer Dragoon, Congo, Virtual ON...

I haven't found a full list yet. I believe all of those that I just listed are compatible with it. I might be wrong about Virtual ON... that may have been a different controller...
grolt

Post by grolt »

The Mission Stick basically works with all the flying games (Wing Arms, Black Fire, Sky Target), the Panzers and the other games mentioned as well. It's a really cool device, like the rest of the first-party peripherals. Really well thought out and adaptable. It works really well gameplay wise for games like Panzer Dragoon especially. Really, you can use the stick with virtually any game (especially all the analog ones, so any racing game or later 3D control pad game), so it's nice to have. For the experimental, two sticks can be plugged into each other and used simultaneously on Panzer Dragoon Zwei, which is really awesome. That game was just packed to the brim with really obscure bonuses. Like how a save file from that game would automatically give you money when you loaded up Panzer Dragoon Saga. Andromeda rules.
That's fly.