Sega Saturn Floppy Drive and Printer

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

The best Saturn accessory is the GPS unit. Here's one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HITACHI-SATURN-GP ... 3003r26144

http://nfggames.com/games/hisaturn/

There's a link that talks about the Saturn Navi. Totally awesome. I want one. Just because it's cool.
Game collection on my site.
Yart

Post by Yart »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I'd love to have a Saturn floppy drive just because I'm secretly questing for all the Saturn crap I can get my hands on. But I always thought you could transfer the saves to a PC. Are you sure there wasn't some PC software that allowed you to save it to a PC?

But as long as you can save any game to the floppy that'd be a cool way to archive saves.
100% positive. I even popped the CD that came with the drive into my PC and nothing but a .BIN and three .TXT files. Altogether only 573kb.

Here. You can have the files: http://yart.moose.cc/saturn/SaturnFloppy.zip
Or here, even the BIN/CUE: http://yart.moose.cc/saturn/SaturnFDD.zip

I wish I had the floppy drive sooner to be honest. Two full memory carts of mine already got corrupted (once from drop kicking the system out of frustration). :/ The main reason I picked up this device. You can take old floppies that's been laying around the house for forever and use them to make multiple backups and to store them neatly away in a small box in a closet.

So I guess there IS some use for it afterall. :P Plus it holds about 3000 more blocks than a memory cartridge.

The only game I know of that supports it directly though is Dezaemon 2, a Japanese only shmup maker. Each game takes up about 2000+ blocks.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Whats the advantage in having a GPS Saturn? I mean: WOW I can see where I am wohoo I dont think youll gonna get this into your car... (Even though its cool)
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Oh the Saturn Navi was intended for car use. Read the article about it. It talks about how it won't let you put in info unless the parking brake is on. I'd at least like one of those Saturns and one of the LCDs. But I will never have that kind of money to waste on something that rare and expensive. You never know thogh... some day.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'd love to take a look at a couple floppies with save data. I have to get ready for work right now, but I'll be able to talk more later.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Arrrgh, sorry about taking so long to get back to you.

Two floppy discs would be great to have... preferably one with a single save file on it, and another with multiple ones... maybe five or so. I'd need as much data as possible about the contents of each save file to help me understand what I'm looking at... file size of each game save, any specific numbers you can give me (item counts, play times, race times, player name, things like that). If I can reproduce a save on my own, that will be pretty useful too.

I have Sonic Jam, NiGHTs, Sonic R, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, and all of the NetLink games. It may help me if some of the save files were of those games, if possible, but it's not absolutely necessary.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Damn, now I want a Saturn floppy drive xD
Yart

Post by Yart »

It's alright. Sorry for my absence. College work got heavy.

Sure thing. PM me a mailing address and next time I get paid I'll ship them out to ya. (The friday coming up, not today)

I have Sonic Jam, Sonic R and Virtua Cop 2. I got a non-Net Link Saturn Bomberman I could use to save to a disk though, and a non-Net Link Sega Rally and Virtual On. Would it matter?

I'll be sure to use disks that were blank from the factory too.
Yart

Post by Yart »

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to bump this back up with an update so people who looked in here already can see the new post too.

I made a video of the floppy drive in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HHvj6FmCg

Enjoy!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I don't think that it would make too much of a difference if you used non-Netlink versions of the games. I'm fairly sure that the Netlink versions don't save any special data in the main game's save file (although it might have a different save name... not sure.) Either way, throw whatever saves you want on there... just remember to tell me as much as you can about each save file... such as the exact filename, number of blocks it takes up, and as many specific details you can about the contents of the file... for example, in a racing game, race completion times, initials, what place that person came in at... Hopefully that kind of information will help me better figure out what's what on the disk. It would also be helpful to have save files that don't have any specific details in them... just as fresh of a save as possible. That will make it easier to make an identical file on my Saturn. I have the capability of dumping my own Saturn's memory to my computer, which would give me one more thing to compare against.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Since I posted this back in the day Ive found it hard to get any of the cool Japanese accessories. Just all too expensive. The GPS is tight though.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

This is soooooooo awesome ;D