Sonic X-Treme

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Okay, technically all this Shenmue stuff is off topic... but here's some footage from the Saturn version of Shenmue, anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUe9ASlu9Us
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

look at that masterpiece :( .

Sega had always been ahead of its time even up until the Dreamcast faded away. i miss the old Sega.
Trip Mercy

Post by Trip Mercy »

xDerekRx wrote:
Trip Mercy wrote:I love Sega it's because of them that I'm a software programmer myself. The Saturn was technically more capable than the PS1, because of it's two main processors and 6 additional cpu's. However, it was EXTREMELY difficult to program for so it lost A LOT of third party support so it failed. and yes, shenmue was on the dreamcast, but shenmue is a 16 chapter story and only up to chapter 7 is covered up to shenmue 2. My point is that Sega has a bad habbit of letting down the people that love it so passionately. Myself included. Did you know Shenmue 2 was voted number 10 on IGN's list of top 100 games of all time? but shenmue 3 will never exist.

but yes, Sonic Xtreme is game that absolutely should have been seen through to the end, and the Saturn could have been great, if only SEGA would have been smarter about the whole thing.
I see what you were getting at Trip. I agree

Shenmue 1 for DC is one of my all time favorite games. In my Top 10. I would have personally enjoyed seeing it for the Saturn like it was kind of planned for, just to see it really push the systems limits but the DC version was amazing. It was so ahead of its time when I first played it.

Youre right about Shenmue 3, it seems with each stepping down that happens at Sega, the less people involved in making the 3rd Shenmue. I really think that will get done one day. Too many fans of the series.

You could even say SOA dropped the ball on Shemue 2. That game should have came out in the US but yet the UK got it?? I paid a little more to get it but I made sure I played Shenmue 2 on DC instead of Xbox but glad they made that version for people in the US.

We can always dream.
You know I've thought about making a Saturn game because I want to see how hard they actually are to program for. I would be very interested in making a new Saturn game, I actually would like to start my own software company. You know there is a new game for the dreamcast that was just produced by a third party, I'm not sure if it's out yet or not, but it's new. I was thinking about doing something like that with the saturn, I have a concept for a neat game, but the problem is I'm still in college and am not ready to take on such a project, but if you wanna be patient, I'll be more than happy to assist you in making a game.

I hope you didn't buy a european version of shenmue 2 and I hope that you bought the regional code converter for the dreamcast instead!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Someday I'd like to tackle writing a Saturn game, but I'm involved in a couple other Saturn and Genesis-related projects at the moment. I'm waiting until those are done first, at least.

I even bought some of the stuff I'd need to develop for the Saturn, already.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Trip Mercy wrote:
xDerekRx wrote:
Trip Mercy wrote:I love Sega it's because of them that I'm a software programmer myself. The Saturn was technically more capable than the PS1, because of it's two main processors and 6 additional cpu's. However, it was EXTREMELY difficult to program for so it lost A LOT of third party support so it failed. and yes, shenmue was on the dreamcast, but shenmue is a 16 chapter story and only up to chapter 7 is covered up to shenmue 2. My point is that Sega has a bad habbit of letting down the people that love it so passionately. Myself included. Did you know Shenmue 2 was voted number 10 on IGN's list of top 100 games of all time? but shenmue 3 will never exist.

but yes, Sonic Xtreme is game that absolutely should have been seen through to the end, and the Saturn could have been great, if only SEGA would have been smarter about the whole thing.
I see what you were getting at Trip. I agree

Shenmue 1 for DC is one of my all time favorite games. In my Top 10. I would have personally enjoyed seeing it for the Saturn like it was kind of planned for, just to see it really push the systems limits but the DC version was amazing. It was so ahead of its time when I first played it.

Youre right about Shenmue 3, it seems with each stepping down that happens at Sega, the less people involved in making the 3rd Shenmue. I really think that will get done one day. Too many fans of the series.

You could even say SOA dropped the ball on Shemue 2. That game should have came out in the US but yet the UK got it?? I paid a little more to get it but I made sure I played Shenmue 2 on DC instead of Xbox but glad they made that version for people in the US.

We can always dream.
You know I've thought about making a Saturn game because I want to see how hard they actually are to program for. I would be very interested in making a new Saturn game, I actually would like to start my own software company. You know there is a new game for the dreamcast that was just produced by a third party, I'm not sure if it's out yet or not, but it's new. I was thinking about doing something like that with the saturn, I have a concept for a neat game, but the problem is I'm still in college and am not ready to take on such a project, but if you wanna be patient, I'll be more than happy to assist you in making a game.

I hope you didn't buy a european version of shenmue 2 and I hope that you bought the regional code converter for the dreamcast instead!
I did buy Shenmue 2 for DC because I really wanted to have it OEM original.

As for making a game. I would be 100% for the project. It would be cool to kick around an idea and actually get the game done. I can do all kinds of design/level building if someone would be the main programmer. Id say we could just make a game using C and not have to worry about maxing out both processors. If we could somehow tap both processors it would be pretty cool.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Trip Mercy

Post by Trip Mercy »

xDerekRx wrote:
Trip Mercy wrote:
xDerekRx wrote: I see what you were getting at Trip. I agree

We can always dream.

I did buy Shenmue 2 for DC because I really wanted to have it OEM original.

As for making a game. I would be 100% for the project. It would be cool to kick around an idea and actually get the game done. I can do all kinds of design/level building if someone would be the main programmer. Id say we could just make a game using C and not have to worry about maxing out both processors. If we could somehow tap both processors it would be pretty cool.
Indeed it would be, again, I lack experience to really be a lead or main programmer just yet, but I would be more than willing to take on a programming role after a few more classes. Maybe I'll start a new thread here and find out how many people are actually interested, and we'll see what we can come up with.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Go for it trip. Be cool to keep the team small like 5-6 people so everyone feels attached and wont bail.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
grolt

Post by grolt »

I weighed in on Sonic X-treme on the other Sonic thread, but I just want to again throw my two cents in on the demos. The game was initially designed on the straight Bug! engine, but the initial problem was that they could not emphasize the speed that's part and parcel with Sonic. Bug! was a beautiful game for its time, but it's a slow, platform-heavy game that just does not fit the Sonic template. The real innovation on the whole X-treme project was to introduce the wide angle perspective to the proceedings. As you can see in the demos, it really enhances the feeling of speed, and not only that, but it allows you to see far off into both sides of the screen, making it possible to actually play with a sustainable speed without running into enemies, walls and holes at every turn. It really was quite genius.

I think the demos look phenomenal. The speed is just awesome, and the level design is actually quite unique and a far ways from just copying Bug! Look at those transparencies, too. The Saturn can't handle those though, right? I must add, though, that these demos are running on the PC and there is word that the biggest challenge was reaching a playable frame rate on the Saturn version. Many believe it would have had to be tweaked considerably to get it to run on the Saturn. Still, what was there was a wonderful start, and SEGA of Japan was just foolish the way they bullishly let this project slip away.

SEGA of America was equally at fault for their total lack of organization, constantly flip flopping on approaches and engines. There's a playable Sonic X-treme with the NiGHTS engine, and it's pretty awful. They kiboshed the Bug! engine version for that? Weak.

Shenmue wasn't the only hot Dreamcast property to start life on the Saturn - both Sonic Adventure and Virtua Fighter 3 were both first started for the Saturn before quickly being rushed to the Dreamcast when Bernie Stolar pulled the plug. Considering how long the PlayStation thrived, there was certainly still a lot of unexplored life left in that big black Saturn box.
That's fly.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The Saturn could do transparencies... it just didn't have built-in support for them.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Warp2063 wrote:The Saturn could do transparencies... it just didn't have built-in support for them.
Oh, I know that, just a facetious dig at the common claim against the Saturn. Games like Sonic R and Panzer Dragoon Saga made it pretty clear that with the right programmers the flaws of the architecture could be tweaked for fine results.
That's fly.