Capturing Saturn Footage Problems!

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
tomlad

Capturing Saturn Footage Problems!

Post by tomlad »

Hey all, im hoping to start making my own video game reviews and suchlike, and one of my main consoles of focus plans to be the saturn.
Now, ive got an ADSTech DVD XPress2 USB video capturing device, which captures via svideo and composite and for the LIFE of me, i cannot get the saturn to record anything into this program which is called CapWiz (supplied with the hardware).

Ive got every type of saturn cable imaginable, and ive tried the following to no success;
direct from saturn to capture device via svideo - sound but no video
direct from saturn to capture device via composite - sound but no video
direct from saturn to vcr to capture device (via saturn scart lead in and composite out)- sound but no video
recording the saturn onto a vhs and then recording the vhs onto the capture device, sound and _some_ video.

The last method is giving me the best results, (if you can call them best). Basically i always seem to get audio no problem, and via the vhs tape i can get little bits of saturn video during playback (it recorded perfectly). But if i fast forward or rewind the tape, i can see everything clearly in the software program! only when i go to play the tape as normal that i experience problems.

the usb capture device works fine with vhs as i have converted a couple of old videos before, and it plays the old programmes that are recorded onto the tape i used fine, but when it gets to the saturn footage, it doesent want to play.

Phew! anyone got any suggestions on what to do? ive tried almost everything i can think of. is the saturn transmitting pictures at a higher frequency than my capture device can record? i.e. 60hz or something?

p.s. im from the UK and have a UK PAL console.
any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
thankyou!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think I'd need some pics of the setup and maybe more information... but it sounds like a video setup problem.

A PAL Saturn should be outputting a 50Hz signal unless it's been modified to do otherwise. If you're trying to use an NTSC game, even with a card that lets you play games from other regions, you might still have problems, no matter what type of video cable you were using.

Is your capture device currently set up to receive PAL input? I'd assume there's a physical switch or a software setting.

If none of this works... double check that you can capture from other video sources.

Let me know if any of that helps.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
tomlad

Post by tomlad »

hi mate, i have tried to capture using every possible region setting availiable in my software, PAL I,B,M etc... and NTSC and SECAM variations to no success. all the games i have are PAL and display perfectly on my television (37" HD LCD) but i do recall having a similar problem in regards to saturn playback a couple of years ago on an older 21"LCD TV, i could again get sound but no video via the s-video connection.

unless its just my saturn? but i find it weird that it works fine through a tv, and works fine played thru the vcr and into my tv and records fine onto vhs, but the software just doesent pick it up?
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Hey T, welcome to the site.

Its great to see this interest. Im doing the same thing currently. Ive making videos and doing Sega Saturn reviews for Youtube (hopefully 4-5 reviews up in the next 2 weeks)

But this wont help much but I use a DVD recorder I got for 30$. I hook my saturn up through the back, and then hook the recorder to the TV so I just press record. I rip the DVD and edit in Final Cut and Avid.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
tomlad

Post by tomlad »

hey dude, thanks!

thats not actually a bad idea, i do have a dvd recorder but its in the living room of the house, a room which is forever occupied. ive been able to record dreamcast and ps2 footage already using this device, im just really annoyed that ive not been able to get any saturn footage!

i dont like the idea of using an emulator when i have a saturn and a pretty big collection of games that are all asking to be played!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I agree. Id never use an emulator

If you wanna see the quality of a video recorded with a DVD recorder, then ripped to a computer and edited, this is a link to my Bomberman Netlink video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99BMVSgtX2s
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

tomlad

Post by tomlad »

xDerekRx wrote:I agree. Id never use an emulator

If you wanna see the quality of a video recorded with a DVD recorder, then ripped to a computer and edited, this is a link to my Bomberman Netlink video

that actually looks really good! how did you manage to upload it into HD? what cable did you use to input your saturn into your dvd recorder?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

S-Video is a pain to get hooked up right, anyway. You'd think it would be as easy as plugging in the cable, but that's not always the case.

Did you double-check to make sure it will import from other devices right now? It's possible something broke since the last time you tested it.

I'm willing to bet that something just isn't configured correctly. Most likely, if your Saturn is working correctly and the video will display on the screen, it's not the Saturn at fault. Also make sure to try several games.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

tomlad wrote:
xDerekRx wrote:I agree. Id never use an emulator

that actually looks really good! how did you manage to upload it into HD? what cable did you use to input your saturn into your dvd recorder?
Very simple Tom

All you do is hook the saturns red white yellow cables into the LINE IN on the back of the DVD recorder. Then you hook the DVD recorder into your TV like usual. So basically all youd have to do different is hook the Saturn into the Line In. It will display on your TV through the recorder so you can play and record at the same time.

As for the HD, I actually just saved my edited video in 720p HD quality. Its a huge file but it preserves the highest level of sound and video quality for viewers
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

tomlad

Post by tomlad »

warp;
the capture box is brand new and works with my vcr and dreamcast fine. just not my saturn for whatever reason. ive tried a few games to the same result. sound but no video!

derek;
ah right nice one! i think i might have to get a dvd recorder myself and use that for footage. i love the results!