Video Capture

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
dbdrummer88

Video Capture

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I am thinking about getting a very cheap device to do some video game capturing and maybe some reviews.
-I found this little thing that may work just fine:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1428

Does anyone have any suggestions if i am only wanting to spend under $50??? High quality is not necessarily a big deal for me, that device listed does have s-video which should be good enough quality if i wanted to put it on youtube.
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Hehe everyone wants to do reviews it seems like. DB not sure if you ready my little blurbs about my videos but I simply use a DVD recorder and hook my saturn to it. Record it, rip on the computer and edit with voiceovers. But again thats a little off topic but figured Id throw that out there in case you had one of these devices.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I bought a cheap capture device for like $15 and it wouldn't capture video...just audio so I sent it back and bought a DVDr too. I've been recording a ton of videos that'll land on youtube eventually...I still need to snag a better video editor so I can do voice overs. But it's been extremely easy using the DVDr...but I spent $100 on it.

Derek has very nice Netlink vids and should be checked out if you search for them on youtube you'll find them along with my vids about Duke Nukem 3d made before I had a capture device. I'll eventually redo the Duke vids but I've got to get back to playing Netlink games I've been busy the past few weeks. I really want to continue my Coop game of Duke with manji!
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

And this is one of the reasons I heart my Mac.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I bought a cheap capture device for like $15 and it wouldn't capture video...just audio so I sent it back and bought a DVDr too. I've been recording a ton of videos that'll land on youtube eventually...I still need to snag a better video editor so I can do voice overs. But it's been extremely easy using the DVDr...but I spent $100 on it.

Derek has very nice Netlink vids and should be checked out if you search for them on youtube you'll find them along with my vids about Duke Nukem 3d made before I had a capture device. I'll eventually redo the Duke vids but I've got to get back to playing Netlink games I've been busy the past few weeks. I really want to continue my Coop game of Duke with manji!
Jerry Id like to do Co-Op. we should try again see if our connection is better these days.

But agreed DVDr is the way to go. I use AVidFreeDV for editing. Its great. Windows Movie Maker which is a cheap POS is very easy to use for Saturn and youtube videos and does voiceovers decently.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

JerryTerrifying

I wouldn't have a problem with Windows Movie Maker if it let you add voice overs. But that's really the only editing I want to do! I have to dig around my house and try to find my mic....it's not where it should be!

And yeah I'm definitely willing to get some more netlink matches going with you. I've just been busy with other games lately lol. I sort of wander around from game to game and get super hyped on it for a while and ignore everything else. I'd really be interested in some more Bomberman too.

I bought Wario Blast Ft. Bomberman for the Gameboy....amazing game! They stuck Wario in there as a marketing ploy to make sure the game sold well lol.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Jerry Movie Maker does let you do voice overs! Theres a little button on the far left that looks like a Mic. Its called Narration. You record your voice then just use the saved voice clip in the audio track.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

JerryTerrifying

Aww hell I was going off something I either read or saw on youtube. I'm going to have to poke around with Window's movie maker tomorrow. I just want something easy to use lol. I downloaded that program you mentioned and it looks a little cumbersome...then I downloaded Adobe Premier pro 1.5 which seems to be about in the middle in terms of ease of use. But Window's movie maker is pretty easy and any retard can use it so if I can get away with using it I'd rather do that lol.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, and AVid are all going to have a simple learning curve that will require tutorial reading.

Windows Movie Maker does not, its so easy to use. I used it for the Duke Video. I used a different program for Bomberman. The only difference in the nicer program is that the sound quality is better and the HD upconvert which isnt really important. Window MM works just dandy.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

JerryTerrifying

If I wasn't going right back to bed I'd definitely poke around WMM to find the narration tool and to mess around with it. I'm a huge fan of easy but I am willing to learn to use better programs but I'm not worried about audio quality for videos intended for youtube.
JerryTerrifying

Yeah that's awesome I tested out the naration tool and everything works pretty damn simply. I could use a better mic...this thing is like 10+ years old and cost like a dollar when I got it.
retro

Post by retro »

I know some very good capture devices, but for $50 you're looking at an old capture card (WinTV or such) with an S-Video input.

The cheap alternative is to use an emulator. :wink:
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

retro wrote:The cheap alternative is to use an emulator. :wink:
A little hard to do that for certain Saturn games. =P
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
retro

Post by retro »

Well, I've not had any problems so far! I've even had betas running on them. :D
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Im going to go with Warp here. Saturn has been the hardest emulated system. Youre not going to get the performance of an actual console. I say if youre already into emulation and want to play games, might as well just burn them and mod your system. At least youll get the real experience. I just play originals so Im not experienced with any new saturn emulation.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On