Swap trick for Imports?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

Swap trick for Imports?

Post by xDerekRx »

Ive never done the Swap trick. I really dont have a hhuge urge or need to do it but I my Action Replay cart wont be here for a couple days and I really wanna play this Jap game I have. Id probably only attempt it on my #3 backup saturn.

Was wondering if the swap trick will allow import games?
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yes.

At least, I'm 99% positive it should.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp I meant Import original copies. Not just import burned games. Unless thats what you meant. Im going to try it today. I could oddly not get a solid answer online anywhere beyond people saying to soder the circuits to allow jap region.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I was talking about originals, not backups.

And I REALLY wouldn't recommend soldering any of the jumpers unless you A) know what exactly you're doing, and B) want to permanently change the region of your system. Most people solder switches to the jumpers in order to quickly change the system's region code in the future. That's kind of what I'm doing, except I'm doing a switchless region mod.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
grolt

Post by grolt »

I don't think it works, since the whole reason for the swap trick is to bypass the authenticity check of the disc. Japanese discs are of course also authentic, so really, the swap trick is doing nothing other than damaging your system, since you've still in effect done nothing to change the region of the console. Plus, the swap method is pretty glitchy as is, it never worked right for me - I'd do it, get a good 20 minutes of play, and then the game would lock up during a big load. Just wait for your cart; play some Dark Savior in the meantime. ;)
That's fly.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTmXsAFwGuA

It's not in English, but they demonstrate an import disc being played on a Model 1. You can do the same thing on a Model 2; you just don't have the advantage of a disc access LED to help you know when to switch. You just have to listen to the drive motor and lens motor.

As for the swap trick always causing a crash for you, were you performing both swaps? It can be important to get the import or copied disc's TOC loaded into the Saturn, then get the security ring.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

grolt wrote:I don't think it works, since the whole reason for the swap trick is to bypass the authenticity check of the disc. Japanese discs are of course also authentic, so really, the swap trick is doing nothing other than damaging your system, since you've still in effect done nothing to change the region of the console. Plus, the swap method is pretty glitchy as is, it never worked right for me - I'd do it, get a good 20 minutes of play, and then the game would lock up during a big load. Just wait for your cart; play some Dark Savior in the meantime. ;)
Grolt Ive been playing Nights, trying to change my scores on certain levels :) I have D's on a couple of her later levels that I left for a long time.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp2063 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTmXsAFwGuA

It's not in English, but they demonstrate an import disc being played on a Model 1. You can do the same thing on a Model 2; you just don't have the advantage of a disc access LED to help you know when to switch. You just have to listen to the drive motor and lens motor.

As for the swap trick always causing a crash for you, were you performing both swaps? It can be important to get the import or copied disc's TOC loaded into the Saturn, then get the security ring.
Thanks Warp. I didnt know this was possible. Its my #3 saturn so Im not too worried about doing anything wrong. Ill probably give it one try and then if not just wait til my cart arrives.

I dont know how to Soder either. I wish I could send you mine to soder the region to Japanese. Would be nice to have an easy method of using japanse games without any cart etc.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm not terribly adverse to doing the mod to another Saturn... but there's a good amount of risk involved, and I'd be concerned about doing it to someone else's system.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp unfortunately the video is actually not using an import original disc for the swap trick. His import disc is simply his "decoy" hes just playing the CDR. The Swap trick must be done by putting the game you wanna play in first, then the decoy second.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

xDerekRx wrote:

Warp unfortunately the video is actually not using an import original disc for the swap trick. His import disc is simply his "decoy" hes just playing the CDR. The Swap trick must be done by putting the game you wanna play in first, then the decoy second.
Oh, well. *shrugs*

Just wait for the AR. It's so much easier.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I agree. And I can see myself scratching the disc trying the swap trick anyway.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:
grolt wrote:I don't think it works, since the whole reason for the swap trick is to bypass the authenticity check of the disc. Japanese discs are of course also authentic, so really, the swap trick is doing nothing other than damaging your system, since you've still in effect done nothing to change the region of the console. Plus, the swap method is pretty glitchy as is, it never worked right for me - I'd do it, get a good 20 minutes of play, and then the game would lock up during a big load. Just wait for your cart; play some Dark Savior in the meantime. ;)
Grolt Ive been playing Nights, trying to change my scores on certain levels :) I have D's on a couple of her later levels that I left for a long time.
Work on those NiGHTS scores, man! You'll find very quickly that getting A's isn't really much of a challenge at all, save for a couple of low scoring mares. The real challenge, though, becomes beating your high scores. The scoring on that game is so good, I'm always coming back to it. I'm by no means great, but I actually have a worldwide record on one of the mares on Soft Museum. Had to work like a banshee for that one, but it was pretty gratifying to see it through.

Check'em out here:

http://www.scoreattack.net/scoresm.php
That's fly.
retro

Post by retro »

If you want to play imports, installing a switch is best (at least it is if you import PAL games too and want to run 50hz - as mad as that makes you!).

The mod is actually very easy, although you'd want to brush up on your soldering skills first. You should be able to get a soldering kit at Radio Shack for very little cost. They'll also sell you a length of equipment wire and the switches.

If you just want to play the games without worrying about "proper" speed / only Japanese games, then an import adapter will work fine. Best bet is an Action Replay - save having to keep changing carts, plus you can use games that need extra RAM!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

retro wrote:If you just want to play the games without worrying about "proper" speed / only Japanese games, then an import adapter will work fine. Best bet is an Action Replay - save having to keep changing carts, plus you can use games that need extra RAM!
It works for most games, with at least one noticeable exception: Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG / Panzer Dragoon Saga.