Mod chip

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
JerryTerrifying

Mod chip

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I got myself a 3rd Saturn for around $8 and it works great. The special thing about it is it's the one with the round buttons and of the ones with round buttons it's the one that's easiest to instal a mod chip...so that's exactly what I'd like to do!

I checked Racketboy and they've been out of stock every time I've looked in the past 8 months at least. But they charge to much anyway.

Then there's www.segastyle.com I bought my S video cable from them a few months back and they had mod chips then for about $25 but I didn't buy one as I didn't have the right Saturn at the time...but now they're sold out. Does anyone around here know where I could order a mod chip?

I think the Sega Style guy might get some more in and I wouldn't mind doing business with him again but I'm really excited to mod this bad boy.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I got both of mine from Racketboy. They weren't cheap, but I was willing to pay the price because of their rarity. I've never seen them in stock anyplace else.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Well there was a post on 6-10-09 on Sega Style about getting some more in in about a week so it should be any day now...I hope. And I like his $25 pricing lol. I'm just really impatient...I finally got the right Saturn for the job and for just $8 bucks! I wanna play PDS damn it!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Well there was a post on 6-10-09 on Sega Style about getting some more in in about a week so it should be any day now...I hope. And I like his $25 pricing lol. I'm just really impatient...I finally got the right Saturn for the job and for just $8 bucks! I wanna play PDS damn it!
So you're trying to play a backup copy then? Because that's all a modchip will do - let you play backups. Just checking.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Yeah....I just can't justify $150+ for one game no matter how good it is. Unless it came with a hooker or something. I know about the 4 in 1 cart for playing imports. I'm not a huge import gamer really.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Yeah....I just can't justify $150+ for one game no matter how good it is. Unless it came with a hooker or something. I know about the 4 in 1 cart for playing imports. I'm not a huge import gamer really.
Jerry I still thank you for showing my the copy of PDS I now own. No matter how much I tried to tell myself it was NOT worth the 160$, it simply was. Such a fantastic game and knowing you own one of the 30k copies ever made is something special to look at on the mantle. Youll like the game either way. It basically comes with a hooker ha.

As for mod chip let me know when that site gets more in. I know people that can install them or Ill just show up at Warps house and he can do it for me :) Im still one of those guys (or idiots) who wants all the games complete and original copies but I wouldnt mind having 1 of my 3 saturns modded just in case. Maybe for Daytona CCE netlnk or to test a home made game etc.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
JerryTerrifying

I'm glad I could help! I'd love to have a real copy of PDS too it's just right now I can't afford to spend that much on one game. I'd still be interested in picking up a real copy if I found it for maybe $100 or so someday just to have as a collector. I'm just more interested in playing the damn thing as of now. Snatcher is the only game I'm really willing to cough up a huge amount of cash for. Because of my Metal Gear collecting disease.

Depending on which Saturn you have it can be really easy. Mine's the easiest with the highest success rate and I'm very confident I can instal it. all you have to do is make a solder bridge on the chip itself to connect two points, take out the ribbon cable from the Saturn plug it into the chip, plug the chip into where the ribbon cable was then solder in the power wire. Really easy stuff. And I've only ever soldered one thing before but I'm positive I can handle this with ease.

I'll send you a PM or IM you on aim whenever the site gets more in. I email the dude but haven't heard back yet but I'd imagine it will be soon. Since the update on his site was posted on the 10th of this month saying they'd be shipped in about a week. So I don't see it being much more than another week or two. I hope anyway.

I would also like to try out some bootlegs of the two racing games for Netlink matches. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It'd be fun to test out.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I have Model 1 and Model 2s.

I have 0 experience with soder but I know people who have so that might be ok.

The bootleg over netlink for Daytona should work fine. Id have no problem spending money to buy the game but you can never find it even if you wanted to again. At this point I just want to try the darn thing.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

xDerekRx wrote:I have Model 1 and Model 2s.

I have 0 experience with soder but I know people who have so that might be ok.

The bootleg over netlink for Daytona should work fine. Id have no problem spending money to buy the game but you can never find it even if you wanted to again. At this point I just want to try the darn thing.
Soldering the modchip for a model 2 is easy-peasy. Even if you have no soldering experience, unless you're an idiot and cover everything in solder or burn holes in things, or have a debilitating problem like Parkinson's, the targets that you'll be soldering are relatively large. It's pretty tough to mess it up. I'd say you'd be more likely to fry the chip by installing it incorrectly or a static discharge than messing up on the soldering aspect.
JerryTerrifying

For anyone else interested I got an email back from the Segastyle.com guy and he said he's gotten shipping confirmation for his next batch of mod chips. I can't wait to get mine!!!!!!!
JerryTerrifying

The chip came fast. Shipped on a Friday here on Monday. But that guy was in PA and I'm in OH so no big surprise. Anyway I've got it all installed and had no problems whatsoever. Burned disc 1 of Panzer Dragoon and some time soon will probably embark on my own PD Saga. Of course I won't have a sweet case to keep it in or any amazing art work. :( Boo. I hope to have the real thing someday damn it!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Jerry I wish you well on your saga. Its a bit of journey. And like me, you have to lock yourself away for a couple weeks and not return to these very forums until youve conquered it.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

JerryTerrifying

Well I finshed disc 1 in one sitting....didn't take long at all. So I hadn't had disc 2 burnt....and the ISO I'd downloaded was bad so I had to search high and low all over the interwebs to find disc 2! But I FINALLY managed before I had to go to bed to get a working disc 2 burnt. So before I dive into that I'll at least get disc 3 burnt.

Disc 1 ended in a great spot. Right after some good epicness. I'm definitely excited to see where it goes from here.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Yeah if you think the first couple discs go fast its not uncommon. The game takes a little bit to get going but gets pretty dense after a while.

I suppose the game isnt particularly long. I think my final save was 13-14 hours. Im also one of those gamers who takes a little longer and explores the environments a bit more or I suppose you could get through in shorter time.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On