Now Playing...

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
grolt

Now Playing...

Post by grolt »

We have a thread on purchases, but I'd rather read about the games you're all playing and the opinions you have. So voila, "Now Playing..."

Me? Right now I've picked up SHINING THE HOLY ARK with full intent on actually finishing it. I played it pretty gung ho over Christmas, but sort of lost interest after one too many crawls through the dungeon. I've got the bug back, though, partially because some of the music came on my iPod to remind me of how great Motoi Sakuraba's music is. Playing through it further, I have to say I really love the battle interface. Kind of like Panzer Dragoon Saga, they've added a bit to the traditional turn-based formula to include reflex button tapping to get those extra hits off the start with your little fairy dudes. Fun stuff!
That's fly.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Umm... the game I'm closest to actively working on beating right now isn't on a Sega system...

Final Fantasy IV DS. I'm kind of semi-stalled right now, because there's a really tough boss that I'm stuck on, so I'm going to have to run around and grind until I get my party leveled up.

That and a minor addiction to World of Warcraft. >_>
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I'm sorta rotating between 3 games at the moment. Three Dirty Dwarves on Saturn, Bomberman on my TG16 and Star Ocean First Departure on my PSP. Haha probably couldn't be playing 3 more different games if I tired.

Three Dirty Dwarves I just got in the mail last Friday and it's really awesome! Bomberman is always great for quick bursts of play. And I'd been most focused on Star Ocean....I'm close to the end of the game but I've died like 3 times so I need to do some grinding for the last dungeon. Well it might not be the last....but it really feels close to the end.

I've really been into SO:FD. Amazing RPG....but whenever I get super into a game I usually burn out and have to move on to other things for a long time before going back. This one though I really want to stick with but I keep dying or doing something stupid lol.
Game collection on my site.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Warp2063 wrote:Umm... the game I'm closest to actively working on beating right now isn't on a Sega system...

Final Fantasy IV DS. I'm kind of semi-stalled right now, because there's a really tough boss that I'm stuck on, so I'm going to have to run around and grind until I get my party leveled up.
That's actually the other game I gave up earlier this year and need to sit down and finish after SHINING THE HOLY ARK. Last year I made it a mission to get all the FF games on the PlayStation/PS2, so now that I have them it's a matter of sitting down to finish them. I always find myself having a tough time completing the games just because there are so many side quests and extras, I never feel right not doing everything so I just end up abandoning it half finished. I've done that with FF8 as well, and FF7 I've probably played through to the third disc about six times because I love the game so much, but it just gets so open at that point I never want to buckle down and finish it.

I bought my brother a DS for his birthday earlier this month, and you can bet that I'll be snapping up those FF remakes at some point. They look awesome!

As for THREE DIRTY DWARVES, it's as if SEGA was trying to just scream "the beat'em up is dead!" It's a fun game, but it's all so absurd, right down to the fact that it's a three player game. Like, what other games can you think of that support three - not four, not two or not ten, players? Just imagine marketing that back in the day "Kids, go out and buy a multi-tap for $60; it'll let one more of you play THREE DIRTY DWARVES!" :D

I don't think I've gotten further than the first few levels, but it was fun while it lasted. How far are you in the game, Jerry?
That's fly.
JerryTerrifying

The Lost Vikings supports 3 players I believe! And Lost Vikings 1 and 2 on SNES are my favorite games as well as the best co op ever. This does kind of remind me of that with the three player thing and selecting the characters with the shoulder buttons.

Anyway...this game's a fucking blast! It's hilarious. The bosses are great and the absurd plot is amazing. I had to beat up gym AND a fire breathing dragon! I'm on Stage 12 right now. I like that if one of your guys gets hit you can revive them so it's really not that hard or annoying really.
Manji

Post by Manji »

grolt wrote:Like, what other games can you think of that support three - not four, not two or not ten, players?
the first one that comes to my mind is Secret of Mana. what a fantastic game...

as for what i'm currently playing on Saturn, the last game i played was the same one as you grolt: Shining the Holy Ark. it's definitely a dungeon crawler. i go back and forth between games and unfortunately my Saturn is taking a bit of a vacation right now but it's never far away.
JerryTerrifying

I just got Splatterhouse for the TG16 in the mail today! Got it on ebay for $10.50 SWEET deal! So i'll probably be playing a lot of that and Bomberman for the TG16....I'm close to finishing Star Ocean First Departure on the PSP so I'll finish that up before moving on to Panzer Dragoon Saga.
grolt

Post by grolt »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I just got Splatterhouse for the TG16 in the mail today! Got it on ebay for $10.50 SWEET deal! So i'll probably be playing a lot of that and Bomberman for the TG16....I'm close to finishing Star Ocean First Departure on the PSP so I'll finish that up before moving on to Panzer Dragoon Saga.
I always wanted to play the Splatterhouse games. As a kid (and I guess still today) I was obsessed with Jason - the NES Friday the 13th was one of the first games I ever bought. I used to read the gaming magazines about Splatterhouse and thought it looked great, but by the time I got a TG16 it was on liquidation and you couldn't find any games for it other than a few used shooters at the local video store. I finally got around to playing that other game with a dude in a hockey mask - Kid Chameleon. Not quite everything I had hyped it up to be, but still a fun SEGA platformer. Splatterhouse, though, looks great, as do the sequels.

There's a great YouTube video on the franchise by the Happy Video Game Nerd here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfkDRnuaYVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E532ORgkTZM
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Grolt I actually made a what is everyone playing thread in General a month ago :). JK not that it matters.

I took a break after beating Panzer Dragoon Saga. Its hard to play another game right after that.

Ive been trying to acquire Dragon Force and Burning Rangers of the past 2 weeks so one of those two will likely be my next game.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
JerryTerrifying

I love the Happy Video Game Nerds videos! He's the reason I bought D for the Saturn. The only problem is the months and months in between videos! My other youtube guy makes a video a day...some times two...that's the pace I preffer haha.

Splatterhouse is pretty fun! Even the sound it makes when you pause is great.
grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:Grolt I actually made a what is everyone playing thread in General a month ago :). JK not that it matters.
Heh, my bad. For some reason I haven't even seen or posted in that thread. I guess this is a more suitable location for it, though, since it's for Saturn games as a whole rather than anything NetLink specific.
xDerekRx wrote:I took a break after beating Panzer Dragoon Saga. Its hard to play another game right after that.
Yeah, I took a break after that one too. I find I like to tackle an RPG and then just play through a few light platformers in the interim until I get enough energy to tackle another. Which is why right after Shining the Holy Ark I'm going to play Kung Fu Kid on the Master System. :)
xDerekRx wrote:Ive been trying to acquire Dragon Force and Burning Rangers of the past 2 weeks so one of those two will likely be my next game.
Two solid picks. Honestly, I haven't given either enough of a chance yet. Dragon Force I've only just skimmed the surface to see what the gameplay was like, but Burning Rangers I at least played a few levels in. Rangers, despite the novel gameplay and the great graphics, is tough for me to play because it's like a NiGHTS in sheep's clothing. I just can't help but comparing the dark, moody visuals to the colorful surrealism of NiGHTS. The two games couldn't be any more different despite sharing the same engine.
That's fly.
grolt

Post by grolt »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I love the Happy Video Game Nerds videos! He's the reason I bought D for the Saturn. The only problem is the months and months in between videos! My other youtube guy makes a video a day...some times two...that's the pace I preffer haha.
Who is this other fellow? I still need to check out a bunch more video reviewers, but from the ones I've seen I can really only stand AVGN and HVGN. Irate Gamer used to be good for a few laughs and some good production value, but now his calculated obscenities just come off as embarrassing and derivative. Spoony I find to be really obnoxious...so who else am I missing?
That's fly.
JerryTerrifying

The guy that posts every day his user name is Inecomcompany. It's just 5-10 minutes of gameplay and him talking about the game...I like his hardware reviews especially the one where he tapes him going out to buy a Sega Saturn.

MN12bird is also someone I keep up with. Usually just him talking about what he's bought and occasionally a few games shown here and there.

Lukemorse1 posts a lot too, he's in Japan and and has a pretty sweet game room. I recommend watching his videos about "Super Hard Off" which is an electronics store hahaha. It's name sounds awful but they've got bins and bins full of every awesome console in various conditions.

I still keep up with the AVGN but I don't really care for his stuff. It's just not as good as it used to be. The older videos where it was just him, a TV and some old games were really fun to watch. But with the more research he puts into it, the extravagant skits that take up a tousand hours of each video....I don't know...I just don't care for it as much as I used to. It's too scirpted...like the insane cussing isn't funny when you put thought into it. When the cameras just on and you're shit talking a game on the fly its good.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I pulled out my Atari 130XE today and the floppy drive and loaded up some Last Starfighter and Getaway. Also Wizard of Wor. :D
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Angry Game Nerd is classic. I love his 32x video where he goes on a rant about having to plug in the 32x, sega cd, and genesis to a power strip.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!