Now Playing...

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

Warp2063 wrote:
dbdrummer88 wrote:Other than that i am recieveing a sega Team Player for my genesis new in box!
Nifty!

... What games use it?
well the games i have that arent sports games are, acme allstars and mega bomberman, and i will use my older teamplayer until i need to open the new one :)
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Man I'm still sucking at the last boss fight in Metroid Prime. So I'll put that off for some months or years hahaha. I started playing The Bard's Tale on ps2, man it's awesome! Also I've been messing around a little bit with Alien Vs Predator on SNES. I've been kicking that games ass way more than I ever have before, so that's cool.
Game collection on my site.
Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight

Post by Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight »

What what WHAt? AVP on the SNES??? I gotta get a copy of that!
I lost all my teeth in a deathmatch because... I'm straight teeth are for gay people, that's why fairies come and get 'em.

Duke 3D & Bomberman
JerryTerrifying

Yeah the SNES AVP game is pretty bad ass. It's a side scroller beat 'em up but it's only one player. But you can throw spears through aliens and use your shoulder mounted laser canon so who cares!

Now I've been playing The Bard's Tale on ps2. Man I should have started this sooner. It's a refreshing change of pace. I keep dying on that last boss fight on Metroid Prime so I wanted something different. The Bard's Tale is just what the doctor ordered, it's a silly action RPG with some decent humor and some great songs.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm out of town until Tuesday, so my only means of playing games and/or surfing the internet is on my Nintendo DSi. I'm taking the opportunity to replay the second Phoenix Wright game, as well as completing my first playthrough of Professor Layton. I brought a few others with, but those are the two I intend to play most.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

have fun Warp! i've been thinking about getting DS or PSP lately. not sure if i will make the leap however.

i guess that AvP game for the SNES is a port of the arcade game? the arcade game rocks :D . maybe they took out the two-player in the SNES version though which is kind of strange.
JerryTerrifying

I hear its not even close to the arcade game...most people think it sucks. I love it though...but it was the first SNES game I ever played so that might be why.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I hear its not even close to the arcade game...most people think it sucks. I love it though...but it was the first SNES game I ever played so that might be why.
I remember playing it thinking it was going to be like the arcade game. There are so many variations of the game.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
JerryTerrifying

After fixing the battery in my copy of Zelda II I've been playing it and am about to start the last dungeon. I'm doing a little level grinding in preparation for the last Palace and only have one more level to go before maxing my stats. I've never made it this far before...I don't know why people don't love this game more. I've been liking it much more than the first.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

There are a number of interesting features in Link's Adventure. Unfortunately, many of them are detrimental to my overall gaming experience while playing, which in turn makes me not enjoy it very much.

Let me count the ways:
- Random Battles - I can't think of this feature in any other Zelda game. It's a classic method of leveling up in RPGs. Unfortunately, it's also very annoying. Repetitive battles with randomly generated foes is fun in some games; in this one it plunges you onto a battlefield of obstacles. You can't even simply select a "Run/Escape" command - you have to literally avoid the obstacles to get away. It's very repetitive, and makes overworld exploration very tedious. I was forced to use a guide to plot my routes in order to avoid as many encounters as possible. If a game at any point makes me seriously want to look at a guide and bypass portions instead of solving the problem at hand, it's a failing in my book.

Y'know... that's actually the only thing I can think of that I really hate. The combat, while sidescrolling action (and I'm not very good at sidescrollers), is quite exciting. Not again until the 3D Zeldas do you really have to utilize so many unique acrobatics to beat some bosses. You come close in Link's Awakening, but it's a different feel. While finding hidden items and spells are difficult, it's not dissimilar from some of the item hunting (with very few clues) that you find in the other games.

I guess that's really it. It's a very interesting, if different, Zelda experience. It influenced many of the later games quite a bit, despite its not being very popular. If I didn't have to fight/avoid random battles on the overworld, and there was a better way to level up besides straight grinding, I'd enjoy this game quite a bit more.

Heh, this post was supposed to be quite a bit more impressive when I started writing it. I just couldn't think of anything else that I really didn't like, so.... yeah.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

I actually like the way the random counters work...almost. If they were just a tad slower it'd be fine. As long as you stick to the path there's no random encounteres and if you're really quick with your D padding you can avoid rancom encounters like 70% of the time. Once I got a handle on it though whenever I got into a random fight I could get out of there without getting hit like 99% of the time.

And you don't have to grind that much...just playing the game you'll be leveled to where you need to be most of the time and after each boss you go up to the next level by default. I did do some grinding to be ready for the last palace but I found the perfect place to do it. There's two enemies that drop 200point bags of exp and give 150 themselves and will drop magic whenever you're low on life or magic and are really easy to kill without taking any hits once you master the jump n slash.

I like the Palaces...I can see why Zelda fans don't becuase there's not much puzzle solving or that old familliar Zelda formula. you kow where you go through half a dungeon, get an item and then can get through the other half of the dungeon with your new found gear. It's just run around, kill things, find the keys then beat a Boss. But I really didn't mind and still found the Palace's to be fun....I never needed to look at any guides to beat any of the Palaces. Some of the items in the overworld though...like the heart containers and magic bottles I needed to look up. If this game had a modern localization with good English and full sentences, the game would be amazing.

The only true complaint I have about this game is that I can't just save. I think you can do something with a second player controller, but I'm not rootin' around looking for one of my other controllers just to do that. So I die often whenever I needed to save, so the little number next to my guy on the load screen is a little inflated. Instead of it showing the 30 deaths I have now it'd probably show like 20 deaths instead from times I just played to gain a level or get an item and wanted to save afterwards.

Other than that one very small gripe I absoloutely am loving this game. More than I thought I would, more than the original. I really like how big the world seems with its multiple towns with multiple screens and all the little cookie cutter villagers running around.

Like in Link To the Past that world seemed so small to me. Like smaller than a tiny village if it were scaled up to real life. The only town in the game has like 4 houses. There's not many NPC's and it just feels a little devoid of life. Same with Oot....it feels really small. Like if it were scaled up to real life that would be like half the size of the town I live in which isn't huge by any stretch of the imgaination. Going from the castle to the desert takes like two minutes and this is supposed to be the huge vast kingdom of Hyrule? It just feels so small.

But I do understand now amount of huge posts on a forum is ever going to change anyones opinion about any game. I'll probably never care for the N64 Zeldas no matter how many dorks on the interwebs praise it. And no matter how vocal the tiny minority of Zelda II fans are the majority will consider it the black sheep of the series.
Manji

Post by Manji »

i was playing some Sonic Jam and completed the 3D Sonic world missions and was really taken by just how awesome that little area was. forget Sonic Xtreme, they should have expanded on this Sonic World thing! why did Sega not pursue this!? it could have totally been a super contender against Mario and Sony's sort of platformer mascot of the time - Crash Bandicoot.

man but this Sonic World was way cooler. it's exactly how i would have hoped and pictured a 3D Sonic game to be. i never really played Sonic Adventure on DC too much, but i have played it and i like this Sonic World thing better.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think all three were awesome examples - Sonic Jam's Sonic World, Sonic Xtreme, and Sonic Adventure. I beat the mini-missions in Sonic Jam forever ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Actually, Sonic World is a lot like Sonic Adventure's exploration modes, while Sonic Adventure's action stages are like (at least similar to) Sonic Xtreme's gameplay. So Sonic Adventure was kind of a fusion of the two.

Right now I've mostly been playing Dissidia Final Fantasy on my PSP, and Fallout 3 and Valkyria Chronicles on my PS3. I've been wanting to play Zelda Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Twilight Princess again, or picking up where I left off on the Phoenix Wright series and continuing... And getting back into Snatcher on my Sega CD. Oh! And I just got a MSX emulator... maybe I should try the MSX version of Snatcher... :D
grolt

Post by grolt »

I have no desire to play modern games...with one exception: Valkyria Chronicles. That game looks beautiful, and it's nice to see SEGA back doing traditional RPGs. Whenever they try their hand at it they seem to have great success - why they don't do it more is beyond me! I don't have a PS3 though, and am comfortable waiting until the current generation is eclipsed by a new one so I can pick the system and games up at a cheaper price. The new SEGA All-Star Racing looks like it could be good fun, too, what with both Ryo from Shenmue and Alex Kidd making appearances as playable characters. Sumo did a great job remembering the heroes from SEGA's past with SEGA Superstar Tennis, and I'm sure they'll do it again here.

I haven't had time for games for awhile, but I did play a little Master System via my Playpal portable this morning while trying to get out of bed. Astro Warrior was the game, a fun early shmup from 1986. One of the Master System's first releases.
That's fly.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Valkyria Chronicles isn't an RPG, really... it's a turn-based strategy game. It's not 100% turn-based, as there is a little bit of real-time action involved when you're moving a character on your turn, but otherwise... turn-based strategy. I'm enjoying the story and the characters. Originally, a couple of them were grating on my nerves, but they're growing on me. My biggest frustration with the game is probably my lack of skill with turn-based games. That and a truly spiteful enemy character who not only brutally murdered one of my characters, but then spitefully stole the corpse so that I can never recover her. I just quit without saving. And I was doing so well on that battle... Next time I'm saving my progress every turn. I keep forgetting that I can do that.

I went ahead and bought Valkyria Chronicles a few weeks back on Amazon, because I didn't trust it not to disappear forever. I don't regret that purchase, even though I had chances in the past to buy it for cheaper... although that would have been before I bought my PS3 slim.