Now Playing...

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Manji wrote:played some tower of Doom/Shadow over Mystara and Dracula X for Saturn this weekend. but... man, i had to spend literally 5 hours trying to situate the 4MB ram cart in just the right way for my Saturn to detect it. i took my Saturn apart and everything :?

i'm never moving it again.
Ha that sucks
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

xDerekRx wrote:
Manji wrote:played some tower of Doom/Shadow over Mystara and Dracula X for Saturn this weekend. but... man, i had to spend literally 5 hours trying to situate the 4MB ram cart in just the right way for my Saturn to detect it. i took my Saturn apart and everything :?

i'm never moving it again.
Ha that sucks
... I found that the easiest way for me is to push my cartridge in all the way, then lift the right side eeeeeever so slightly. Maybe a millimeter. Maybe not even a millimeter.

It took a lot of finagling the first time to get it right. After that I began to see the pattern.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Cartridge port hell... why are these ports so damn finicky?
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Xranger60 wrote:Cartridge port hell... why are these ports so damn finicky?
Because they weren't designed to be used. They're there in case they needed to be used; but most games didn't need them for anything. And they probably figured, once you've got one in there, you won't need to take it out for any reason. It's not likely that the end user will have several games that require different cartridges...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

Warp2063 wrote:
salsays wrote:I'm actually playing Magic Knight Rayearth on the Saturn right now.
Sweet!

I love the theme songs and animation to that series... but I've never actually watched much of it, nor have I played more than a few minutes of the game. It looks fun though...
salsays wrote:The game is amazing its one of my fav games of all time. The series as well is one of my all time fav I consider it one of the best anime of all tiime.
xDerekRx wrote:I hear Magic Knight was a so-so game? I know it was the final US release so ill have to get it one of these days.
i recently bought Magic Knight Rayearth, was playing last night into today and all i can say is wow, i'm sorry i missed this game when it was released. its definitely one of those games where you can see the potential of the Saturn (meaning if the Saturn had lived a longer life and sequels were made, they would have been incredible i bet) and even as it is, the game is extremely fun. i'm a big fan of the 2D stuff of course and MKR is super colorful. the characters move around very smoothly and all the mechanics feel spot-on. the writing/dialogue is pretty good Working Designs material and keeps things entertaining.

i'm only so far into what seems to be near the beginning still at the Ice cave. at first your character's weapons range is short but eventually things get better. i'm really happy with this game. :)
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Ill have to try it then. I enjoy colorful 2d games. Part of the reason Astal is so good.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I should sit down and play it. Magic Knight Rayearth is one of those situations where I own a legal Japanese import copy and also have a backup of the US version. I loved the first few minutes that I played.

I love the bonus materials from the Japanese version. :3
salsays

Post by salsays »

I'm also playing Rayman its a great game, I like the 2d version better than the 3d version of 2.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

salsays wrote:I'm also playing Rayman its a great game, I like the 2d version better than the 3d version of 2.
I acquired a copy of Rayman for Saturn at a garage sale this year and have yet to play it. Looks fun.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

salsays

Post by salsays »

Its one of those games that has great 2D visuals and imo having great 2D visuals is greater than most of the 3D out there.
Manji

Post by Manji »

i've been playing a couple of Saturn gems lately. Shining Force III and Darius Gaiden.

SFIII is really fun if you like that kind of game. Shining Force and SFII were staples during the days of Genesis, but SFIII came out so late in the Saturn's lifespan that unfortunately i had to miss it (i didnt have a Saturn back then anyways). i guess looking at it now, the 3D characters in battle are rather blocky, but different spell effects are pretty nice. i'm only about 5 hours in at a town called Railhead. it works great with the analog pad because you can move your character around fast or slow (even though im at a full sprint most of the time just to move around faster) and even with the shoulder/trigger buttons, you can turn the camera fast or slow too. the more i play it, the more it reminds of a great Shining Force game that Sega doesnt make anymore.

Darius Gaiden is fun too. the first Darius game i played was Darius Twin on Super Nintendo. for DG, i think the graphics are really good and enemies have a neat look to them. individual stages sometimes seem very short, but the bosses are interesting.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm currently playing Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on the PSP, and 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors on my DS. I also pulled out my PS2 to play some Robotic Alchemic Drive the other day, and my GameCube in order to play some Wind Waker.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

I actually wanted to buy Peace Walker, but for some reason I never did. Great game though! Im currently playing COD:WaW's Zombie Mode and playing through Shenmue for (I think) the 24th time. Really cant stop playing this lovely gem.
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Hey Warp do you have a PS3? If you do I wouldn't mind playing some Peace Walker with you over Ad Hoc Party. :D Peace Walker is really meant to be played as a multiplayer game.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yes, I do have AdHoc Party on my PS3. Both the Japanese and the English versions. =P