recent Daytona Netlink auction

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Going to back to the "why would people spend xxx$ on a rare game" is a case by case scenerio but to me its many things. Its the thrill of buying it, getting the original version of it, and/or realllly wanting to have the game to play.

When I paid 160$ for Panzer Saga, it was for many reasons. To own one of the 20-30k copies (complete mint btw) for my own. You can play a burned copy all you want but as a collector this is nothing like owning the original manual, case etc etc. Its almost a status symbol. Game is also fantastic btw.

But why would I spend 400$ on Daytona Netlink? Almost the same reason. There might be only 100 original copies of this game for all we know. To own one of these would be an incredible feeling. If simply burned the game its pointless to me. Daytona netlink represents mayn thing to me. As a collector/saturn nut, owning an original complete copy would be iincredible. But the fact that Im an avid Netlinker multiplies the desire to have the original copy.

As with everything in life, its all about the way you look at it.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

That was poetic ;D Yeah youre 100% correct. Its just the feeling you own something not many people have. Its just incredible reliving the original gaming experience. AWESOME
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
ameisenmann

Post by ameisenmann »

I fully understand your reasons. partly I feel the same about some of my games games although they are much cheaper. But this feeling of owning something rare or being admired by other geeks is not worth some hundred dollars to me. It is cool in a way but nothing that fulfills my life with significant meaning. Nothing to compare to laughing with my best friends or to a single smile of my girlfriend :)
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Again it comes down to what means the most to you. I enjoy my girlfriends smile too but Id trade her for a copy of Daytona (JK!).

You can place whatever meaning you want on something. There is a point where $ value is not an object. 100, 200, 300, 400, 500$ . If you want the item the dollar value is irrelevant. Although it helps that youre well off. Im not rich but spending that much $$ isnt going to ruin me :)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Just an update on the 2 auctions.

-The one auction that was at 1000$ with best offer ended without a winner. I think the seller reached an agreement with someone off ebay, maybe on message board. I offered him 300 but he countered with 800 so F that.

-The "sealed" auction ended at 405$ but the reserve was not met so the seller can choose not to sell it.

I forgot about the auction. I would have paid 450-500$. So I emailed the seller (who says hes actually sega parts) saying Id pay more in case he decides to relist it :)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Manji

Post by Manji »

cool. good luck on getting it! i have to regretfully bow out of these listings because i dont want to pay the prices right now. but what a juicy game to have on a Saturn Netlink platter!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Manji wrote:cool. good luck on getting it! i have to regretfully bow out of these listings because i dont want to pay the prices right now. but what a juicy game to have on a Saturn Netlink platter!
Manji I thought we were both going 400+ for these :). If I dont get either I know they will pop up again in the future.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Manji

Post by Manji »

xDerekRx wrote:Manji I thought we were both going 400+ for these :). If I dont get either I know they will pop up again in the future.

hehe, well i'm definitely keeping my eyes open for anytime it shows up on ebay. i've got it so i can get an email alert for Daytona netlink listings. i think these two came out of hiding for the holiday. i'm sure others will come up again in the future though so im not stressing it. i put a conservative $305 bid on the "sealed" copy, but since i saw the seller set a reserve, there was no way i'd be paying the amount they were probably wanting it for. and when i saw the other at $1000 buy it now, i knew there was a slim chance the seller would not have taken $500 or less.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Both auctions were a waste of time. This is a game that is going to sell big, so list it at $0.99 with no reserve and let it fly. Stupid the kind of money these people are expecting when, really, they probably got both copies for peanuts. There was a time when I'd pay $300 for something like this, but I'm starting to re-evaluate my priorities here, and as great as it would be to own it, there would be nobody to play it with and sitting in your collection it would look the exact same as a regular CCE!

Considering the confusion factor of it looking like a regular cheap sports game, I'm sure one day someone will find this on the cheap in a BIN on eBay...and that someone will hopefully be me. :)
That's fly.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I know where to go if I ever want to sell my copy. ;)
Daytona CCD: NetLink Edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: NetLink Edition
Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Peter

Post by Peter »

The sealed copy is back on eBay, with a BIN of $800. I would agree with many here, this is way too much, the game is not that rare. Plus, the fact that the NetLink Manual is the one showing through the shrinkwrap is suspicious.

Your opinion please: This is the 5th time in a couple of years that Daytona NetLink has appeared on eBay, however, I have never seen the demo SEGA Screams Volume 2 for sale, either alone or as part of a lot. Which do you think is truly the more uncommon NA Saturn release? I am inclined to believe it is the demo, but, I want to hear opinions as using eBay as the only indicator is not ideal.

@ yasinthomas: the game was never available in stores - you had to contact SEGA directly back in the day in order to get it. It is widely considered the rarest NA Saturn release.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Peter wrote:The sealed copy is back on eBay, with a BIN of $800. I would agree with many here, this is way too much, the game is not that rare. Plus, the fact that the NetLink Manual is the one showing through the shrinkwrap is suspicious.
If I'm remembering correctly, when I received my copy from Sega back in the day, the NetLink manual was showning. I'm pretty sure they packaged it that way to avoid confusing it with a standard copy of the game.
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Ya both auctions were a waste of time. Even as much as I want one 800$ is insane.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Well, I've gotten some fairly insane offers for my copy.....
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman