Sega games on Saturn

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Manji

Sega games on Saturn

Post by Manji »

Sega released a lot of great games on Saturn and the list is pretty long. Nights, Panzer Dragoon, Shining series, Virtua Fighter, etc.

but my question is, what game or game series should Sega have developed for the Saturn that they didn't?

i'd pick something like: new Streets of Rage w/netlink, new Toe Jam & Earl or Altered Beast and of course Sonic. some After Burner, Outrun or Fantasy Zone done in Saturn fashion.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

This question requires too much analysis. =P

I think a multiplayer NiGHTS would have been fun. I also would like to see a multiplayer adventure where you could save your progress.

Dial-up MMO! Phantasy Star! :D
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

Warp2063 wrote:This question requires too much analysis. =P

I think a multiplayer NiGHTS would have been fun. I also would like to see a multiplayer adventure where you could save your progress.

Dial-up MMO! Phantasy Star! :D
Sega was always ahead of their time, so a Phantasy Star dial-up would have been too cool. it didn't take them long to make it for Dreamcast, so i'm sure the plans were already there, in the vein of games like Shenmue being brought over to the DC.

i can think of other great Netlink game ideas - RTS games like Warcraft II, Command & Conquer would have been perfect.

Sega themselves should have made a Golden Axe or Streets of Rage though. i'm a big fan of side-scroller action games like that. i was thinking they could have made it like Fighting Force 1 but a whole lot better and with Golden Axe, a really cool fantasy-medieval theme. They could have made it 3D like Fighting Force or 2D like Guardian Heroes and i would have been happy. either way, seems like adding Netlink option for 2 player games would have pushed the Saturn to where the Dreamcast was when it came out.
Peter

Post by Peter »

An original 2D Sonic or a 2D Ecco. Liked Sonic and especially the highly underrated Ecco on Dreamcast, but new 2D games in this series using the Saturn's hardware would have been awesome.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Sonic is the easy answer. No question.

I know most disagree with me but I thought Sonic 3D blast wasnt simply a conversion of a Genesis game. It was a largely slick upgrade that showed off better graphics and a great soundtrack. Game was a bit repetitive but I enjoyed it once through... Sonic R was great and Sonic Jam gave us teases...

Sega CD even at least got an original Sonic 2d game so thats Segas biggest mis step. I still dont think Saturn totally ignored Sonic but it needed another game.

They did a great job doing as many Netlink games as they did but a few more would have been even more awesome now. Sonic R among their other first party titles would have rocked. Congo deathmatch!! (jk)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Manji

Post by Manji »

Peter wrote:An original 2D Sonic or a 2D Ecco.
I almost forgot about Ecco! good call on that :) .

they could have made a very inviting 2D underwater adventure with Ecco on the Saturn.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've always meant to try the Ecco games; just never got around to it.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I couldn't stand Ecco for more than like 2 minutes. I'll give it another shot but I just wasn't diggin' it.

I actually kind of like the Saturn Shinobi game...but they could have done way better.

And Manji if you like Side scrolling beat 'em ups have you ever played Knights of the Round for SNES? I loved that game when I was a kid. When you get treasure out of the chests you can cut it in half to split points with the second player..which I thought was pretty unique. One of those Capcom collections on the PSP have it and I plan on picking it up one day specifically for Knights of the Round.
Game collection on my site.
Manji

Post by Manji »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I couldn't stand Ecco for more than like 2 minutes. I'll give it another shot but I just wasn't diggin' it.

I actually kind of like the Saturn Shinobi game...but they could have done way better.

And Manji if you like Side scrolling beat 'em ups have you ever played Knights of the Round for SNES? I loved that game when I was a kid. When you get treasure out of the chests you can cut it in half to split points with the second player..which I thought was pretty unique. One of those Capcom collections on the PSP have it and I plan on picking it up one day specifically for Knights of the Round.
Shinboi is another great one that could have used some Saturn finesse. i haven't played Legions yet but definitely need to.

as for Knights of the Round, yes! loved that game, i used to rent it a lot, but i'm not sure i ever purchased it. this was back when i didn't have a job of course. i like the leveling up aspects in Knights of the Round and how their armor got heavier and more detailed.. Capcom did another cool one called King of Dragons.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

^ I just remember playing it at my next door neighbors house for hours. Not sure if he rented or owned it...but man I loved that game. That's definitely the next game on my SNES hit list and that Capcom collection is next on my PSP hitlist. I just remember thinking it was SO cool that I could cut the treasure in half to split points and crap.
Game collection on my site.
Manji

Post by Manji »

i dont want to totally deviate from the topic, but i had to mention i pulled out my Xbox today (only having 5 games for it: Doom 3 collectors edition, Doom 3 Resurrection, Final Fight Streetwise & Capcom Classics Collection 1 & 2), and played some of the Capcom Collection vol. 2. they've got on there: Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, Magic Sword, Black Tiger and Captain Commando. have you played Captain Commando? that one is a blast to play :D

and to stay on topic, does anybody remember a game called Chakan for the Genesis? i wonder if Sega could have revived that one on Saturn.

so far we have:

Sonic
Ecco
Shinobi
Streets of Rage
Phantasy Star
multi-player Nights
Altered Beast
Outrun
Afterburner
Golden Axe
Fantazy Zone
Chakan

wow, looking at those makes me realize Sega missed a lot of good ones :wink:
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

2 Games that I really like that havn't been mentioned are Pitfall and Vectorman. Both having 2 games each they could have easily kept each series going. I would have also liked to see a sequel to Hard Drivin' personally.
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
Manji

Post by Manji »

yea, a new Vectorman would have been awesome to see on the Saturn :D
grolt

Post by grolt »

The beat'em up definitely got neglected on the Saturn after having been so successful on the Genesis with Streets of Rage, Altered Beast and Golden Axe. We got Three Dirty Dwarves, but who really cared about that? I think of all the ones mentioned I would have liked to have seen a polygonal Altered Beast. That's one franchise I'm really surprised SEGA never mined. We only got the one game despite it being one of the most iconic games on the Genesis and one of the major staples of the arcade scene. I'd still like to see a new Altered Beast! It was simple and addictive, nothing beats that.

It probably would have sold like shit, but I most would have wanted to see a new Alex Kidd game. He was SEGA's answer to Mario before Sonic and it was sad to see him buried after being a launch title for the Genesis. I'm liking how SEGA is including him as a character in their Superstars games, but enough supporting roles...bring him back to the forefront! Wonder Boy would be swell, too.

I hope one day we can get a Phantasy Star 5. No more of this online stuff, just a simple return to the traditional RPG roots. The Saturn really could have used that considering how big the RPG became after the smoke of Final Fantasy VII. I'm not complaining too much though, because we still got a bunch of really great RPGs.
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Vectorman died to quickly. Great game that should have had a Saturn release. Good call on that.

I agree Grolt, despite whats-his-face hating RPGs and refusing to put them on the Saturn, the system still ended up with some gems and system only titles that havent been reproduced even to this day.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!