Croc: Legend of Gobbos glitch

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Manji

Croc: Legend of Gobbos glitch

Post by Manji »

so i put in Croc, turned on the Saturn, started the game to find Croc and lots of the level was totally glitching.

to get around this, you have to turn the Saturn on first and then load the game through the Start Application option for it to play normally. weird huh. :?

or alternately you can hold L+R buttons as you turn on your Saturn to get to the memory manager/clock/language setting screen, then exit from there and the game starts normally.

if you have the game in first and simply turn it on, Croc and enemies will be somewhat invisible and the level will have trace effects in lots of places.

did anyone know this? i didn't until today. i can't believe the game got released with this glitch. i wonder if it hurt sales or back-fired in some way on the developer.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Is that glitch in all versions of the game, or just yours? (I'm not referring to your copy alone, but the manufacturing run that yours came from.) Maybe there was a bad press of the discs or something. Did you read that solution somewhere, or did you figure it out yourself?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

no idea Warp.

i found out how to "fix" the glitch by typing in 'Croc sega saturn glitch' (or something similar) through a simple google search and reading a random post on a forum. i only read you have to start up the Saturn system first and load the game manually, but i didnt read anything about the holding L+R button option. just thought i'd try it and it worked!

kind of interesting though. i dont know if it's present on all copies of the game or not. i'm curious about it now.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Ha thats weird.

I played Croc maybe 6 months ago and did not notice this problem. I remember playing a good 3-4 levels.

Ill have to check it out again. Always thought it was one of the best platformers on Saturn. Kinda underrated in the world of Spyros, Crashs, Marios etc
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
grolt

Post by grolt »

I never had any problems with Croc, but that's interesting nonetheless. I've always been a fan of the game, although I haven't really played it since it first came out. At the time it was exciting to have a lush 3D platformer on the system, since we were still waiting for Sonic Xtreme. It's too bad the sequel they so obviously advertise never made it on the Saturn...
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

grolt wrote:I never had any problems with Croc, but that's interesting nonetheless. I've always been a fan of the game, although I haven't really played it since it first came out. At the time it was exciting to have a lush 3D platformer on the system, since we were still waiting for Sonic Xtreme. It's too bad the sequel they so obviously advertise never made it on the Saturn...
Grolt we are the same on this as well. When Croc first came out for the Saturn is was pretty exciting (even though now it may seem hohum). It was a real 3D polygon platformer. It was a must get for me one Christmas and despite its so-so reception, its one of the best on the Saturn. We didnt get Spyros, or marios, or crashes, or even 3d sonics (sonic R being the closest really) but Croc did well to at least grace the system.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Manji

Post by Manji »

grolt wrote:It's too bad the sequel they so obviously advertise never made it on the Saturn...
yea on the back of the instruction booklet, it says Croc II coming christmas 1998 :(

and after trying it a couple more times, it doesnt seem like the L+R combination works all the time, but it did at least once or twice. the most reliable way is to turn the system on with the drive door open or with the game not inserted into the sytem.