which Saturn controller do you like best?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Manji

which Saturn controller do you like best?

Post by Manji »

so, there were a number of controllers released for the Sega Saturn. There's Model 1, Model 2, Analog controller, Virtua Stick, etc.

do you have one you prefer over others?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I love the Model 2 controller. By far, it's my favorite out of all the Saturn controllers. The Model 1 was too chunky, lumpy, and the shoulder buttons were horribly conceived. The 3D controller is too boxy and circular, although not uncomfortable to hold. I do like the analog joystick... while weird, it's strangely comfortable. I think other sticks should have been like that.

I've never tried any of the other controllers outside of those three. But the Model 2 for me is just about perfect.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

I like the Model 1 controller most. I just like it. Even though the pad looks a little bit weird but definitely a masterpiece.
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I liked the D pad on the first one and though it was an over all great controller. Then I got ahold of the model 2 and and preffer ot use it now. I still like the first ones D pad though.

the Analog controller is awkward. Like when I use it the way it's held makes it hard to hit the two face buttons that are all the way to the right. The Dreamcast controller has the same problem where it's slightly awkward to hold on to and gives me hand cramps when playing certain games.
Game collection on my site.
Manji

Post by Manji »

to be honest, i've only ever used the Model 2, so i wanted to get some idea about how other people feel about the different kinds available.

i really like the Model 2 for sure though.

i've been wanting to get a quality arcade stick. there's a black, U.S. Virtua Stick and then there's this Japanese Virtua Stick with green buttons and looks a whole lot nicer (albeit more expensive).

i need to get a few more controllers anyway because i like having them for back up.

thanks so far for the input everyone!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Hmm... maybe I should dig out my Model 1 controller and test the D-pad... I don't remember anything special about it, but if everyone else is saying good things...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I have all the controllers and hes my rating list. Partially not fair since some do things others cant but Ill do a list anyway!

1. Knights 3d pad
2. Model 2
3. Stunner
4. Model 1
5. Arcade Stick
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

3D pad all the way.
Daytona CCD: NetLink Edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: NetLink Edition
Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Ah. If the Stunner is being included... it's comfortable to hold, but it's really large. Model 2 controller is still my favorite.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Scooter wrote:3D pad all the way.
3d controller is the only one I use now. For every game.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
salsays

Post by salsays »

Well if it counts I love the Saturn Virtua Sticks but the Japanese ones with the Astro City design. I play a lot of shmups and fighters so to me its perfect.