Custom console w/ netlink & wirless controller questions

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Macabre

Post by Macabre »

While I'm browsing I might as well update;

I've had a little distraction from this project as I wanted to finish a few other fun ones;

~Crazy Taxi ps2 (in the shell of a crazy taxi toy car)

~Dreamcast wireless remote receivers (ems adapter + receiver from a katana ps2 wireless remote & v1 logitech ps2 wireless remote) fitted in, again, Crazy Taxi toy cars (slash'es and axels, i still have the third out of the toy set Angels from the third game, and am considering putting my SRC wireless dreamcast gun's receiver in here, but unlike the others, its infra red and I would have to cut out the toy car's grill).

I've been working on these projects the last month pretty strong, and I just need to finish wiring everything together (stupid LED's for the car's headlights / remote access light are taking FOREVER to get to me). I've also had some trouble getting the PS2's disc door to open properly (trying to retrofit it under the "hood" of the toy car)

Back to this thread;

Massive multi-console project;
~I've received and tested a slew of genesis & saturn wireless controllers, both Doc's & Naki's, and after play-testing out of 4 pairs, I found a suitable set of 4 that do NOT interfere with eachother - I will have what appears to be the exact same four wireless remotes for the single console (except one has saturn shoulder buttons).
~I've been slowly working on the pcb to pcb converters for each controller, as this is taking a very long time (not really, i'm just lazy and slow and have to be in a particular mood to want to do this sort of work).

Bomberman Saturn project;
~I've nixed the idea of having a pair of units, and decided to focus on one unit with 1 single wireless controller, 1 socket dedicated to the second controller port for a multitap, and hard-wiring 3 controller plugs near this socket from a built-in multitap (this idea is purely to leave 4 open sockets, as cosmetically, less = prettier)
~as noted here;
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&p=25013
I had done some experiments with making a wireless phone modem for both my dreamcast & netlink. (I post as Macabre there) I found someone with the linked bluetooth adapter and did some testing, and although the idea of just turning on my cell's bluetooth and then playing netlink was brilliant, the conversion of digital to analog is far to horrific for video game online play. Thus, this console will have a telephone line connecting to the built in netlink modem.
~I've also obtained a wireless AV sender & receiver, and am going to incorporate the transmitter inside the console (to further reduce wires going to it / plugs / stuff on the exterior). I'll try to also make a tiny "bomb" shell for the receiver as well.

IMPORTANT to those who have been posting here recently;

http://saturnleague.com/mxbb/index.php? ... =viewtopic

I'll be play testing this serial cable alot once I get it, and also compare it to my official japanese saturn link cable. Your efforts are strong but might have been over-exerted. Its also a mere cable, no pcb / wiring / anything special, and can easily be home-made.

~if the cable is fun / has merit, I'll also leave a serial port on my bomber console.