Netlink [NTSC-U] + Saturn [NTSC-J] = Supernova?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Isaac [GER]

Netlink [NTSC-U] + Saturn [NTSC-J] = Supernova?

Post by Isaac [GER] »

So I want to buy a modified Saturn (modchip etc.) but it is [NTSC-J]. I dont want to use a japanese Netlink, so Im asking you guys ;D
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The cartridge ports on the Saturn are not region-specific. In fact, the only region-specific part of the main board is a series of jumpers that inform the BIOS as to what region the Saturn is supposed to be. That's why it's so easy to change your Saturn's region by installing a region switch. By changing the voltages on those jumpers, you can set your Saturn to any region that the official ones were built for (including some that didn't exist - be careful!). Other than that, most of the Saturns were identical in function.

A Japanese NetLink wouldn't help you anyway, as a Japanese NetLink had a card slot that you had to insert prepaid cards into in order to link up to other players (similar to the X-BAND service). The US version omitted that feature. The Japanese version also had a 14.4 modem in contrast to the US's 28.8.

Long story short: as long as your Saturn can play US games, your Saturn can use US cartridges. Almost any peripheral will work on a Saturn from another region, as long as you can run the software to operate it.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Cool, thanks. I never really knew that the Saturn is hackable so easily. ^^

-closed-
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!