more HELP

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
phatgamer

more HELP

Post by phatgamer »

I also own the PAL Software PHOTO CD OPERATING SYSTEM.

How the hell do I use this.

All I know is that the enclosed CD is a Photo Utility you can use for viewing photos and slide shows, etc., on your Saturn, while playing music in the background.

It works with A STANDARD PHOTO CD.

WHAT defines a STANDARD PHOTO CD. Is such a CD available today ?

Can someone tell me more, so I can use this Saturn SOFTWARE Operating System at least ONCE before putting it back on the shelf to collect dust.

Do I need to insert an ACTION REPLAY PLUS to enable this PAL game/package to work on my USA Saturn ?

As you can all see I NEED help again from you guys.

And THANKS very much again, whether you help me or not, this site is a blessing for us Saturn Enthusiast.
PHATGAMER
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I have a Saturn VCD/Photo CD Twin operator card, the JVC RG-VC20. Because the VCD cards were never (to my knowledge) released in the US, either a modded console or an Action Replay Plus is required to load it.

Photo CDs are a special kind of CD developed by Kodak and released back in 1992 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_CD ). When developing film, you could optionally have them create a Photo CD with all your pictures on it and return that to you as well. Basically all it is is a CD with a proprietary photo storage format, so all a Photo CD card (or the Photo CD viewer software) does is act as a glorified photo viewer. I own only one Photo CD myself, and I had to order it specially from Japan. It came as a pack-in bonus with an art book.

Photo CDs were never very popular, due to the fact that you had to have software or hardware licensed by Kodak to read the files, and therefore Photo CDs aren't overly common.

As for what you have... it sounds like you have a disc, not a card. Because you claim it's PAL software, then yes, at the very least it would require that you use a modded console or an Action Replay Plus to get around the region protection. Depending on the requirements of the software, you might even need to use a console capable of outputting video at 50 Hz (either a PAL system or an NTSC system modified with a video frequency switch), as well as a monitor capable of displaying video at 50Hz. As I understand it, once you load that disc and start the application, you then would swap in a Photo CD, and the software would enable you to view the pictures stored on that CD.

I'm sure you can find a Photo CD if you look around. However, at this point, the Photo CD format is rather outdated, so it's not something you're likely to see used anymore. I once saw a whole Photo CD system at a PTSA sale for maybe 20 bucks. It looked like a really old CD player... huge and like it would fit in with the rest of your entertainment center. It would plug into your TV.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
phatgamer

PHOTO CD OPERATION SYSTEM

Post by phatgamer »

Yes it is a PAL CD. It was housed in the same type black cases as the Saturn PAL games were sold in.

It comes with the Photo Utility CD, which you load into the Saturn, the Users Manual and of course the forementioned case.

I will see if I can hunt down at least one of these STANDARD PHOTO CDS.

Thanks much.
PHATGAMER
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Photo-CD-Samp ... 3a4d4af3ce

There's one. Not something I'd want... but at least it's a PhotoCD.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
phatgamer

YOU are

Post by phatgamer »

the MAN. I will tell you.

gary
PHATGAMER