How To Connect With Web Browser

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
lisalover1

How To Connect With Web Browser

Post by lisalover1 »

I just got my Netlink in the mail yesterday, and I'm itching to see what the Saturn can do on the internet. The first thing I want to do is use the web browser. It likely isn't compatible with the majority of the sites on the internet, but I still want to try it. The only problem is that I don't have dial-up. However, a while back, I did successfully connect my Dreamcast to the internet via a free dial-up service. I looked up the tutorial for that, and tried to apply it logically to the Saturn's web browser, but it didn't work. Is there a tutorial specific to the Saturn about how to get it connected to a free dial-up service?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I haven't ever seen a guide for the Saturn. I used this guide:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... cwin98.php

It's not for an existing dial-up ISP... it really just lets you simulate your own. I don't know how many dial-up services out there will still work with the Dreamcast, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those that did just wouldn't work with the Saturn.

If you want, I can fire up my Saturn and look at the settings I put in back when I simulated my own ISP.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
lisalover1

Post by lisalover1 »

That would be great if you could get those settings. I've tried setting up a PC-DC server in the past, but it's quite complicated. I had no idea it would work for the Saturn, too!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, it was quite an adventure. I booted up my primary Saturn, only to find that I didn't have the Internetcfg file on there. So I stuck in my backup memory card. The Saturn reported that there was nothing on it. So I dug around under my bed and pulled out my first Saturn. I checked its memory - the battery was still good and the config file still there. So I plugged in the backup memory card - oh, look, all my files are actually still on there... >.< So I put the original Saturn away, put the memory card in my primary Saturn, copied the config file over, and booted up the browser. Fun times. =P

Okay:

General Preferences:
User Login: DC
Password: *****
(You need to fill these with whatever your username and password are. I just used the same name that the Dreamcast server called for.)

Network Preferences:
Your Area Code: (I left this blank. I didn't need it for the DC server.)
ISP Phone 1: 123-4567 (You'd put your actual ISP's access number in there.)
Modem Init: AT&F0 (I don't remember exactly what this means, but I could look it up again.)
DNS1: 192.168.55.1
DNS2: 192.168.55.1 (Again, I believe the DC server called for this. You'd want to find your actual DNS addresses from your dial-up ISP.)
Tone Dial: X
Blind Dial: X (Important for the DC server, not so much for normal ISPs.)
Other boxes left blank.

And that was it. I don't know how much that will help you in connecting to your dial-up ISP, as a lot of the stuff I used for my settings were either dummy data or stuff specifically required by my DC dial-up ISP.

Make sure your ISP doesn't use any security settings or require any software that the Saturn doesn't support. Which at this point, is almost everything.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

You meen software that comes with anti virus scanners and a disc to install.. The thing is when I had netzero.. It would connect to my access numbers but would not log in kept telling me invalid user name and pass when the info was correct. But I dunno thinking about useing att or just some other middle man dial up that doesnt cost a arm and a leg. I am going to try a dial up service for the saturn called basic isp and see where the wind takes me on that.. If I can connect and surf then I have confirmed that my experiment works lol.

Everybody is super sonic race-in try to keep your feet right on the ground!!

Netlink games owned: Duke Nukem3D more to come in the future
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

IT’S CONFIRMED! BASIC ISP.net WORKS!! Though most of the links do not work on the sega plant web browser and neither does netlink zone on the netlink games.. So during these times only direct dial works to play someone but surfing on the web is something you really can do but most of the websites you go to planet web browser does not support being it is from 1997. You can use email on there and I belive game faqs has certain stuff for you download like instant replays and stuff. Hey at least I found a legitimint isp provider that supports it basic isp.net. It’s still cool to connect and try and surf the saturn though I will miss the days when you could on the saturn and I wish that servers where still operational such as catapult and netlink zone. Anyways this is me chaosomega signing off. I am depressed as all hell but hey I got it to work which should be a achievement of mine anyhow just wanted to get word out that basic isp.net works on Saturn, and that is the isp that works for it for, 6.95 with out having to mod.Lisa I reconmend you dont try and surf the web on there it does not work anymore and the servers sega hosted are unplugged that go to most of there’re sites. So I cancelled my isp with no regrets the webbrowser is eneffective.

Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey, don't get too down about it. I signed on in 1999 and by then the NetLink Zone was already out of date. The best part about the NetLink, the ability to direct dial others and play them through the Xband interface, is here to stay. Be happy :)
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

Yeah man, it saddens me to see the state the browser is in at least there is direct dial to play with others at least heh. I just couldent belive it I found a isp that worked with it and the browser dident even support the sites and the sites sega had on are gone lol. one day I wanna play someone on direct dial lol so I can show off my mad skills on duke 3d lol. With the browser I couldent even update it a little on sega netlink just about everything is unplugged but hey, at least email still works on it lol. When I first connected it went to sega's site but it was real choppy showed the sega logo and 3 links to sonic 4 and alien vs predator lol. other than that nothing else showed most sites I tryed to go to showed nothing but web script code lol. Other than that for a dial up modem its pretty darn quick for 28.8 kbs lol.

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It seems fast beacuse it can't load most of the site. It's only getting the HTML and gif files, of which there aren't many. That's pretty much it.

Thanks for sharing the ISP you found!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Ineresting. Would that ISP work with the Dreamcast?
Game collection on my site.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

Well jerry, I believe so if it would work on the Saturn I believe it would work on the Dreamcast as well to. Let me know if it does work with that isp there is no commitment and contract, and canceling is immediate and if it does not work out they refund you as well when you cancel. Plus they are better than netzero.. the're pretty much as basic as it gets as dialer with dial up.

JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Yeah for less thank $10 bucks its worth a shot.
Game collection on my site.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

yeah man, it sucks cuz I thought the netlink zone would at least be still working lol I always wanted to see what is was like but now I wont ever get that chance. If could some how convince sega to rehost those sites lol then where in buisness lol. At least I found a cheap isp that works for both saturn and dreamcast with out having to use the phone line mod. To bad I don't have the source code for those sites cuz I would host them my self lol. At least xband still works I am thankful for that. Just when ever I move to my dads house I know he has a analog phone line cuz he lives waay out in the country and has long distance on it too. Anyways in late november or so I will hook it up with you all on duke 3d or virtual on.

lisalover1

Post by lisalover1 »

Is there a guide for doing this without a PC-DC server, and just with using NetZero? I appreciate all the help, but I just want to find a simple way to browse the internet on my Saturn.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Have you tried the basicISP.net? What about hostned.com?

It is that hard to find a free isp in USA? A quick search on bing and a lot of ISPs appear. Just try a couple of them...
Also: http://www.ispcompared.com/dial-up-internet.htm

lol, I really need to setup my Saturn again. It's so cool. =)
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D