saturn "vs link cable" (new pictures posted Nov 2n

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Cool. It would be great to one of these days get a 100% list of link games. Even the buggy ones like Hexen.

I finally have 2 copies of the Japan Doom. Been meaning to make a youtube video of that and the Hexen unfinished US link mode.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
rush6432

Re: saturn "vs link cable" (new pictures posted Nov 2n

Post by rush6432 »

Hey guys, i know its been AGES since this link cable thread has been replied to and its sort of a necro-bump..

Anyhow i wanted to update this as i had a list of game consoles i was toying and testing my serial over ethernet device that allows you to play link cable games over the internet.

The first console i tested this on was the atari jaguar which worked for doom and another game called aircars with a VERY crappy setup (crappy is an understatement). The tests were done locally over a LAN and not the internet but never the less had the setup been simplified and less conversions along the way to the other console i would have had a MUCH faster connection.

Ive since then found better parts and cut alot of middleman stuff out and im working on testing again with quite a few consoles (atari lynx, jaguar, saturn, psx, neogeo, turbo express (tg16 handheld).

I should have parts here soon in the next few days to continue on the atari lynx testing and if all is well this SHOULD work just fine on the saturn assuming the serial port on the saturn doesnt communicate at something REDICULOUSLY fast that its over the standard serial port speeds or the games communicate at non standard baud rates.

Stay tuned, if all is well ill be posting in this thread again updating on my results and possibly testing the saturn sooner than later with the same device... :)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

That's great.

Any new game someone manage to add to the online list is a great addition.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Would be crazy if this works. Would add Doom (Jap edition despite what the US version box says) and a few other US games (even hexen debug mode)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Apparently these are the only link cable games...

gun griffon 2
gebockers
steeldom
hexen (in debug menu)
doom jap version
daytona usa championship circuit edition (jap only version)
daytona usa demo (has option for it)
wipeout (apparently but not confirmed) (heard from multiple sources)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Yeah, that's just 7 games. Wipeout I've never seen listed as a compatible title.

So, for USA, it's just Hexen.
For PAL, Hexen and Doom.
And JAP, all the others.

Even this way, that's cool.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I have personally tested the Hexen Debug link cable mode and its not stable whatsoever. Cool they left it in but you can see why its unofficial. It crashes pretty quick. Every now and then you can get a bit of a Co-op game going.

I was making a video to show it off last year but didnt get all the footage, this has reminded me to revisit that and post it.

I also have 2 versions of Saturn Jap Doom (thanks to Warp on the 2nd one) and will complete that video after the Hexen one.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Awesome!! Id love to see that stuff for sure....
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Hey derek, you going to post the hexen vids ? id be interested in seeing it, im sure others would too.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Thanks for the push rush!

Basically where im at now is Im literally figuring out a new editing and capture software/hardware.

My other two video on youtube of me playing Netlink games (xDerekRx is the username) were done sort of the old school way. Trying to make the Hexen one look better.

Everything is set though. I still have my link cable, 2 copies of hexen, 2 tvs etc.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

rush6432 wrote:Anyhow i wanted to update this as i had a list of game consoles i was toying and testing my serial over ethernet device that allows you to play link cable games over the internet.
Pics or link?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Figured Id throw up another update, just because I miss posting on this forum.

So I now have my editing software, video stuff. I also have 2 copies of both Doom JP version and Hexen. I plan on making link cable videos for both hopefully in the next few weeks. If I dont then at least I can look back at this post and reflect on how much of a procrastinator I am :)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

xDerekRx wrote:Figured Id throw up another update, just because I miss posting on this forum.

So I now have my editing software, video stuff. I also have 2 copies of both Doom JP version and Hexen. I plan on making link cable videos for both hopefully in the next few weeks. If I dont then at least I can look back at this post and reflect on how much of a procrastinator I am :)
Can't wait! =P
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!