saturn "vs link cable" (new pictures posted Nov 2n

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Link Cable over internet idea sounds very interesting.

I will try to make a video soon of Doom JP over Link Cable on Youtube as Warp was cool enough to send me a 2nd copy of Doom.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

It very well might work over the internet, but i just dont know if it will play ok or terribly slow. id have to dig out the hardware as ive got it here somewhere and maybe try it out.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

That would be great. Especially for games like Doom. If you can try it, let us know how it goes!
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I agree, if we can get doom running over the net for saturn id flip
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Yikes, cant seem to find the cables/interfaces that i had for that setup..... i might have sold it off a while back or thrown it away sadly.....

No big deal, but i cant probably re-create it easily enough and try again. only problem is ive got one saturn now....
Macabre

Post by Macabre »

A better version of doom has already been ported and made much easier to play online for the dreamcast.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

MonkeyFist wrote:A better version of doom has already been ported and made much easier to play online for the dreamcast.
True but theres a charm and cool nerd aspect to playing online on a Saturn.

Dreamcast is powerful and there is no surprise or real crazy advancement by playing it on a DC. While its still super cool, if we could get a Saturn version over the net through a versus cable, it would be an all around cool thing.

I must also add that the Saturn Japanese version of Doom is very good. The US release was rushed out by a company. A different company took their time with the Japanese release and polished it before release. Its much better.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Found the software i used for testing this out last time. just cant find the saturn serial port pinouts anymore. i had them a while back but havn't been able to find them again.

If anyone can find these it would speed things up tremendously and we might have multiplayer doom or other games on the saturn playing online :)
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Rush I dont have the items but will donate to the cause if needed. Would really like to see this!
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Well, if anyone can find me the pinouts for the sega saturn serial port id be glad to give it another try. as for donating to the cause. thats great. im not sure what you have to offer but let me know.

i really cant do any further testing without having the pinouts for a cable though and a working saturn serial link cable anyway. id have to cut the cable in half and re-wire on end to work with the PC. same for the other half.
Macabre

Post by Macabre »

I can do a continuity test on a cable if you like? I was wanting to do that just to see if it was a strait pin-to-pin for the saturn-to-saturn connection.

I'm not too familiar with a multimeter, but I'm sure I can also figure out which one is the voltage & grnd.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Sure if you want you can.

However the cable wont be straight through pin to pin. the Transfer (TX) pin on console one will go to the Recieve (RX pin) on console 2 and vise versa. along with the grounds being tied together and the +5v signals being left alone and disconnected. i im not sure if they use any other pins other than these for their communication or if its that simple...

ive got a cable rigged up for the sega genesis for zero tolerance multiplayer (connects (2) two player joypad ports on each sega together for multiplayer. im tunneling this serial connection over the internet soon hopefully. just gotta get 2 copies of zero tolerance and another genesis to test it out which shouldn't cost too much but im not in any position to freely spend on another genesis right now.

Why is that important??? its the same concept as the saturn serial link games over the internet, just a diffrent console
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I have two Genesis consoles, but I don't have that cable made up, nor do I own the game Zero Tolerance.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Whenever you see me on aim send me a pm warp and we can discuss this if you want. ive gotta snag a copy of ZT too but they can be had for like 5 bucks.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Small update guys, i just went to the local electronics store here and snagged some small things needed for testing this theory out on the internet. more updates soon in the next day or so.