Adjusting Saturn laser POT

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Xranger60
Site Admin

Adjusting Saturn laser POT

Post by Xranger60 »

So I've had a 2nd Saturn for about 4 years now... I got it cheap, and when I first bought it, it had some problems with sound/movies skipping. Adjusted the POT, and everything was fine. Two issues though:

1) I don't know how much I adjusted it. It may have been too much
2) I don't know where it was when I started.
3) How much does this reduce laser life?

Is there any way to get a baseline as to where the POT usually is, using a multi-meter?

Would appreciate any input you guys have.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Unfortunately, I don't know any specifics. However, as I understand it the goal is usually to adjust it as little as possible so that it juuuuuuust works.

As for how much it'll reduce your laser's life, there are too many variables. How well it was manufactured, how long it is used at a time, how old it is, operational conditions throughout its life, storage, hours of operation, how accurately it was set up initially...

Basically, yes, you're shortening its life, but you're never going to get any kind of real estimate. The more you adjust it, theoretically the shorter of a life it'll have, but it could still go on for years.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hmm. Yeah, I don't think I adjusted it that much at any rate, but it's been years, so who knows. I might either leave it alone or just keep working backwards as far as it can go while still doing fine with originals.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.