new member netlink/modem advice

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
humbug

new member netlink/modem advice

Post by humbug »

Hi guys

I have a white sega saturn which i've chipped, region switched plus a VCD card and RGB out through XRGB3 and SPDIF audio out plus nice white controllers and a white programmable pro controler too.

I wanna get the saturn online but I'm not sure of the best way to do so. I would like to use only the jap spec stuff as its white/gray colour and matches the rest of the system, however it looks abit different from the netlink add on... as its got that extra cart slot on it.

can anyone explain to be the difference and give me a recomendation?

Thanks alot

also can someone tell me about this action replay here?

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about the Japanese XBAND modem. I don't believe their modem is compatible with the US games, or vice versa, as there was a fee to use the service in Japan. You would insert pre-paid cards into the slot on the modem.

I also don't know if the Japanese modem can be used for internet browsing like the US's NetLink.

As for the Action Replay, it looks like another version of the 4-in-1 Action Replay that I own. The port on top of the cartridge was used to connect it to a special development card for the PC, so you could write segments of code and test them on the Saturn without having to write a whole new disc. It was limited in how much data you could send via that method, though. Another person later built a USB converter box that plugs into that same parallel port on top of the cartridge. It offered more features than the old PC card which is hard to find, and I'm sure harder to find a PC for nowadays.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
humbug

Post by humbug »

Thanks for the reply.

looks like I wouldn't really need the action replay... i don't mind using just the cd rom for custom programs/emulation.

i looked up the jap modem on wiki, and it essentialy says its an online network link for 2 machines only, so it doesn't run off a server as such... would anyone be able to play me online if i got it? i'm guessing my chances are slim. Also, do you know what games support it? I'm a little confused with the prepaid cards too... how does that work? if no one can play me without the hardware, do you think it would be possible to patch those jap games to use the netlink instead so more people can play?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of the games that support online play please (jap & eng)?

On a seperate issue, how do you guys connect to the internet normaly? I was thinking about using a router with serial output (supports external modems) as apposed to connecting to the internet directly. i don't want to go down the path of setting up a dial up connection. it would be nice if i could use the same connection/network architecture for the megadrive and dreamcast too.

any help is most appreciated ^^

thanks again
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey, welcome to the forums!
humbug wrote:i looked up the jap modem on wiki, and it essentialy says its an online network link for 2 machines only, so it doesn't run off a server as such... would anyone be able to play me online if i got it?
As far as I know, the Japanese modem is not compatible with USA NetLink games, meaning you wouldn't be able to play anyone with a USA NetLink modem (us). Also, I have read that the Japanese modem used the Xband matching service, which required it to connect to a server for the sole purpose of finding other players (direct dialing between two machines would take place only after connection to the server). That service is no longer functional.

Same for the Genesis. You won't be able to get online for the Genesis, as the Xband service is long dead. Unless of course, you're talking about the Telegenesis modem, which pre-dated the Xband and was not released in the US Info here.. Pretty sure that as a 1200 baud modem it wouldn't be too useful today.
humbug wrote:I'm a little confused with the prepaid cards too... how does that work?
They worked to add credits to a player's account when the Xband service was functional.
humbug wrote:if no one can play me without the hardware, do you think it would be possible to patch those jap games to use the netlink instead so more people can play?
Those games were built exclusively for Xband use, as far as we know, and it would be rather difficult to make them work otherwise.
humbug wrote:Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of the games that support online play please (jap & eng)?
Try looking at this NetLink FAQ on GameFaqs.
humbug wrote:On a seperate issue, how do you guys connect to the internet normaly? I was thinking about using a router with serial output (supports external modems) as apposed to connecting to the internet directly. i don't want to go down the path of setting up a dial up connection. it would be nice if i could use the same connection/network architecture for the megadrive and dreamcast too.
For NetLink direct dial play, with two American modems, which is still possible, there is no way to play without a direct dial connection. This connection doesn't take place with a dial-up ISP... the call is direct from one player's home to another, like any other phone call.

Browsing the web, unlike game play, can be done without a phone line. There is a method to connect a phone cord between the NetLink/Dreamcast to a modem-equipped computer, to use an existing broadband connection. I don't have the details, but it involves setting connection sharing between the PC and NetLink/Dreamcast.

Hope that helps!
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.