Sega Saturn Linux?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Reno214

Sega Saturn Linux?

Post by Reno214 »

"The Linux kernel contains code specifically designed for the Saturn; it is unclear if this effort was ever completed." This is a quote I grabbed from wikipedia, so you cannot be sure of it's veracity but I would be very interested in finding out if there is a version of linux capable of running on Saturn.

Furthermore, I'm wondering if anyone has tried updating the browser on the Saturn as I'm thinking about purchasing a Netlink pending an answer about long-distance phone calls and the ability to use phonecards to reduce international call costs.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

No idea about the Linux, but I've heard the same thing. I don't think a fully working version exists, though.

As for updating the browser - your browser version is dependent on the browser disc version you have. The browser isn't in the actual NetLink cartridge. It is possible to temporarily update the browser- there are certain patches that you can load into memory. I think Xranger was planning to set up a page on this site where you can download the patches. Unfortunately, as soon as you turn off the Saturn, you lose the patch and have to redownload it next time you want to update the browser. It also takes a while to download the patches... The modem is pretty slow.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!