Was the netlink in ireland?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
shittybeans

Was the netlink in ireland?

Post by shittybeans »

Hello I was wondering if the netlink was in Ireland in one stage of saturn life?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I know there were some trials in Europe. Don't know about Ireland specifically. I don't think any country in Europe got it officially, though.
shittybeans

Post by shittybeans »

Warp2063 wrote:I know there were some trials in Europe. Don't know about Ireland specifically. I don't think any country in Europe got it officially, though.
Yeah i did play the dreamcast online back in the day and always wonder if there was a way to play the saturn online in Europe, is any way of play the saturn online europe?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

shittybeans wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:I know there were some trials in Europe. Don't know about Ireland specifically. I don't think any country in Europe got it officially, though.
Yeah i did play the dreamcast online back in the day and always wonder if there was a way to play the saturn online in Europe, is any way of play the saturn online europe?
It's definitely possible - there are others in Europe on this forum who have done it. You just have to use a US Saturn, US Netlink, and US copy of the game (you might also need an NTSC to PAL adapter for your TV... I'm assuming Ireland uses the PAL standard). You'll also need to know someone else with the same game and equipment. It doesn't dial into a central server like some Dreamcast games did - you dial up your friend directly. So you and that friend will also need an analog land line to connect.
shittybeans

Post by shittybeans »

Warp2063 wrote:
shittybeans wrote:
It's definitely possible - there are others in Europe on this forum who have done it. You just have to use a US Saturn, US Netlink, and US copy of the game (you might also need an NTSC to PAL adapter for your TV... I'm assuming Ireland uses the PAL standard). You'll also need to know someone else with the same game and equipment. It doesn't dial into a central server like some Dreamcast games did - you dial up your friend directly. S o you and that friend will also need an analog land line to connect.

well,my tv can use PAL and NTSC, most of Irelands land line are analog, its just saturn that set me back a few bucks and i only have one RJ port for the phone i can get a splitter, is there anywhere in US where they will import for cheap (not ebay)?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

What are you trying to import? The Saturn?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

shittybeans wrote:well,my tv can use PAL and NTSC, most of Irelands land line are analog, its just saturn that set me back a few bucks and i only have one RJ port for the phone i can get a splitter, is there anywhere in US where they will import for cheap (not ebay)?
You don't exactly need a splitter. The NetLink modem comes with a port to the wall and other to the phone (which is cut when the NetLink is in use).
If you buy the NetLink in the box it comes with a very long phone cable too.
shittybeans

Post by shittybeans »

Sorry that this reply is very very late, thanks for the help. Maybe someday i will get a NetLink ,US Saturn(or modchip) and a game and see if i know a friend that has one (very unlikely). Thanks anyway guys.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

You need a region switch not a mod chip. The Mod chip only lets you play burnt video games.

The real tricky part will be finding a buddy with all the needed hardware and software. I hope you've got some enthusiastic Saturn loving friends. :D
Game collection on my site.
shittybeans

Post by shittybeans »

JerryTerrifying wrote:You need a region switch not a mod chip. The Mod chip only lets you play burnt video games.

The real tricky part will be finding a buddy with all the needed hardware and software. I hope you've got some enthusiastic Saturn loving friends. :D

Yeah sorry region switch, might need a mod chip to play the Netlink version of Daytona USA, since I don't see my self holding a copy(apart from a burnt copy) of that in my hands anytime soon.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

No shame in that. Segastyle.com usually has Saturn modchips for $25 USD plus shipping. That's where I picked mine up back in 09.
Game collection on my site.