Duke Nukem Forever

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
xDerekRx

Duke Nukem Forever

Post by xDerekRx »

I figured Id try to make a splash in this forum after some quiet time.

But I just played the Duke Nukem Forever demo and got really excited.

I still remember the first time I ever played Duke Nukem 3D all the way through was on the Sega Saturn when I was younger. Went to Toys R Us and got it for my Bday.

Then 10+ years later was able to play it on Netlink with some members here to complete the experience.

Now after 12 years DNF is finally coming out. Anyone else a bit excited?
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I was excited a few months back. I'd planned to pick it up just to have a game that took over a decade to come out. However... I don't think I'm going to pick it up when it finally comes out. It's just not quite worth it to me. On top of that, I'm trying to cut back on the number of games I buy.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I will definitely be picking it up. Don't know if I'll have the money to buy it on day one but I'd like to.
Game collection on my site.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

I figured Id try to make a splash in this forum after some quiet time.

But I just played the Duke Nukem Forever demo and got really excited.

I still remember the first time I ever played Duke Nukem 3D all the way through was on the Sega Saturn when I was younger. Went to Toys R Us and got it for my Bday.

Then 10+ years later was able to play it on Netlink with some members here to complete the experience.
Hello its been some time since I been back been busy with life these days lol. I remember when I was 13 back in 1995 duke nukem was introduced to me by my couisen he showed me a demo of duke 3d and I was blown away by the killer graphics and dukes one liners lol. Duke has always been apart of my of childhood same with sonic and the sega consoles.. Just thinking about the past about sega saddens me but thats life. Things come and go but I always remember the awesome good times >:D. But yeah my friend can't wait for duke nukem forever to come out.. I already put money down on the collectors edition, ALL ON DUKE!!!

Everybody is super sonic race-in try to keep your feet right on the ground!!

Netlink games owned: Duke Nukem3D more to come in the future
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Doom is still probably my #1 game of all time... tied with Mario 3, Sonic 2 etc

But after Doom the next big FPS was certainly Duke Nukem. It was the first real Doom clone that did things different.

Such a fun game. I just played through alot of it single played on Xbox Live.

The classic 2D sprite FPS games were the real starters. Then Quake pushed FPS into the polygon era.

When I was a kid I never had a good enough computer to run these popular games so as odd as it sounds my first solid playthrough of Quake and Duke were on Saturn. Back in like... 97?... I actually loved the Saturn as an FPS system (this was back when there were like 4-5 FPS on consoles total. Labotomy Software brought Quake and Duke ports (which to some the Duke port was the best console version). They also did Powerslave which again most consider the Saturn version as the best version as it was a Saturn exclusive to start.

I just dusted off my Saturn copy of Duke and I will probably play through it again before DNF comes out next week.

I wish I still had my analog phone line from last year Id like to Netlink it up again but not sure if I can.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I want to see what the reviews and user reaction is like before buying a copy. It's epic that Duke Nukem Forever will be released soon. Kind of surreal that it will be out soon.

My gut feeling is that this is going to be a very average game, but should be fun for a nostalgia trip and some old school shooter action.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Xranger60 wrote: My gut feeling is that this is going to be a very average game, but should be fun for a nostalgia trip and some old school shooter action.
This is sorta exactly what Im expecting and would be thrilled with.

if the game plays like a... lets say 6.5/10 then Ill be more than happy. As long as its enjoyable enough gameplay wise, Duke himself and the old school nostalgia will carry it.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

You play Duke for Duke not the gameplay. What disappointed me about the demo was I could only carry two weapons at a time. Something I've never liked about modern shooters is having to manage ammo and which weapons you carry....kind of lame.
Game collection on my site.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Yeah it looks like the 2 gun limit is going to stay. And Dukes ego meter makes health a simple duck and cover system.

I would have preferred old school on both of those features. Im super stoked that the old weapons are all intact. They added a Railgun ala Quake... I dont mind that because modern shooters you need a range weapon so its not bad.

Also in the demo there are some small secrets. Holoduke is in the back of the white pickup and trip mines are near the ammo crate. Its cool you can actually stick the mines to the side of enemies now.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

lazyhoboguy

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I havent played any of the old duke games, so I'd feel dirty if I played this new one first. I need to find some time to play the old duke nukem game.
ps2onlinegaming.com (Site for scheduling PS2 online and PS2 LAN tunneling (Xlink Kai) matches)

www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Since the game got a Europe release first reviews are starting to come in. 80/100 from PC Gamer.

Overall its looking like what I expect - Graphics are from 2004-2006 which to me is fine. If it looks like Half Life 2 Im ok with it. I dont need Crysis 2 graphics.

However gameplay is also oldschool. I dont need ultra real Black Ops or anything. Just give me old fun gameplay.

So the reviews are sorta pointing to a throwback 3D polygon update to Duke which to me is cool. The 2 wep limit and Ego meter might be the only things holding it back a bit.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Well, I got the game on Day 1

As most have seen the reviews have been pretty bad. Some mediocre.

The truth is the game feels old and unpolished. Which is obvious since its a rushed game that was in production forever.

But in the end its a fun romp with old duke one liners, weapons and enemies. Nothing more or less.

The real value is the multiplayer though. Its fun, fast and they even remade Hollywood Holocaust from DN3D.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Macabre

Post by Macabre »

I think there was a youtube videogame reviewer named snowcon3 who said the perfect quote regarding this game;

"If your into modern day shooters like Halo, then this game won't appeal to you, but if you grew up playing the Doom, Blood, etc, then you will feel right at home."

Personally, I've been around long enough to see the fps genre evolve from Wolfenstein 3D to Halo Reach.

Duke Nukem Forever feels right at home with me. The game is vulgar and childish because that is what Duke is. There isn't much of an excuse for the slumpy graphics being that it is now 2011, and god this thing has locked up on me a few times which is very annoying since Halo Reach has seen multiple magnitudes more of gaming hours and hasn't even hiccuped yet.

But 13 years of hype and speculation will destroy a game - its impossible to make the game so perfect to appeal to that many people waiting for it.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Yeah Im still playing the game 2 weeks after release. Mostly the multiplayer.

Its fun watching the behind the development history series on youtube. Makes you more ok with the games graphics and shortcomings knowing what was done. The fact the game was released at all is amazing.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

SonicGamer99

Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Post by SonicGamer99 »

i love duke nukem forever