Yet another 'phone service' thread

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
ellanceo

Yet another 'phone service' thread

Post by ellanceo »

So the Saturn was the first console that I purchased which sparked my Sega collecting kick. I now have a Genesis + CD attachment and Saturn (modchip + AR 4 in 1, video card on the way) hooked up via SCART>RGB, also a Dreamcast with a VGAbox.

Now I LOVE Saturn Bomberman, me and my girlfriend play it offline all the time, still waiting to get a multitap and some more controllers to play at video game parties that I hold regularly.

Now I really want to blow some minds and show off a Netlink setup on the Saturn. I already purchased the adapter for $7.58 in the box, just waiting for it to be delivered. However I can't seem to find a compatible service. So let's review the options:

Analog

AT&T(?) = ~$58/month + $60 activation
Qwest/Centurylink(?) = $52/month

Digital

Comcast (no analog service provided)
MagicJack
Vonage
Lingo

And as far as I can tell, those are the only options in my area. I really cannot believe that I have to pay more for a POTS landline than I would for my hi-speed cable just to play Netlink on my Saturn.

Does anyone know of any independent providers? Or even better, someway to use those phone line simulators I keep hearing about to create a networked connection via PC without latency? I am DYING to get my Saturn online, but so far it looks hopeless. :cry:
Last edited by ellanceo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"War has changed. It's no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines."
-Old Snake
ellanceo

Re: Yet another 'phone service' thread

Post by ellanceo »

rush6432 wrote:The codec the magic jack or voip unit uses for transmission is the culprit.

i know for a fact the sega mega modem will probably work over G.726 codec as that codec was built to work with slower modems. yes built for modems.... however that modem is slow (1600 to 2400 baud) and thats the reason why it will work.

faster modems like the netlink modem. you havn't really got a chance in hell unless you write the codec yourself. most of the codecs for modems over a magic jack type connection only allow for a maximum speed of 14.4 kbps...

Very good document http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html about this topic and why some stuff works and others do not.

There is a point where the modem speed exceeds the speed that the codec can ENCODE the digital info and send it over the internet and un pack it. if you exceed that speed then it starts losing info and packets thus causing lag or connection problems. if the netlink modem could be set to 14.4 speeds (like the japanese counter part, you could play this over the modem probably on magic jack.
Ok so, according to this: http://www.voipmechanic.com/faxingissue ... evices.htm, if we changed the codec, it could possibly work as fax machines still work on a G711 codec, while G729 and G.726 aren't going to be able to handle the 28.8k connection, nor have the correct latency. Now that webpage says for faxes to work, you have to reduce the speed down to 9600bps, so not sure if the G711 with a "typical algorithmic delay of 0.125 ms, with no look-ahead delay", is the answer here?
Warp2063 wrote:Another potential problem is the VOIP software. You're talking analog transmission to digital conversion to digital transmission to analog conversion to analog transmission, which while seeming nearly instantaneous to us, is actually very slow (lots of latency) to a computer or game system. The Saturn's NetLink games were never designed to tolerate much latency, as an analog-analog connection was expected to be nearly instantaneous - or at least much more so than having all these go-betweens in the way. This latency and the quality of the audio codecs used are why most digital phone services do not work with the NetLink.
So I think the easiest thing to do would be try and create a modified version of a basic VOIP system to emulate phone line tones to be recognized by traditional analog receivers, and use the G711 codec to ensure better latency. Now even if we could just get a VOIP>VOIP set up with Netlink, I think this would be HUGE! We could definitely contact others in the homebrew/classic console collective and see if anyone would be interested in helping in a project like this.

Once my Netlink comes in next week, I will DEFINITELY volunteer to experiment with a few things to at least try to play with someone on Saturn Bomberman :mrgreen:
"War has changed. It's no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines."
-Old Snake
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I like seeing people getting interested in making the netlink work on a modern network. I'd love to get more people into the Netlink and the biggest hurdle is the damn phone lines.
Game collection on my site.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I like seeing people getting interested in making the netlink work on a modern network. I'd love to get more people into the Netlink and the biggest hurdle is the damn phone lines.

I agree I got the netlink able to connect to the internet just not able to navigate space in this modern era..What I wanna see is someone surfing the web on a netlink lol..Another problem I ran into sega no longer has their severs up on the netlink anymore..When ever I can get a analog adapter to make it think its analog I would be more than happy to play with someone from overseas lol.

Everybody is super sonic race-in try to keep your feet right on the ground!!

Netlink games owned: Duke Nukem3D more to come in the future
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Chaosomega wrote:
JerryTerrifying wrote:I like seeing people getting interested in making the netlink work on a modern network. I'd love to get more people into the Netlink and the biggest hurdle is the damn phone lines.

I agree I got the netlink able to connect to the internet just not able to navigate space in this modern era..What I wanna see is someone surfing the web on a netlink lol..Another problem I ran into sega no longer has their severs up on the netlink anymore..When ever I can get a analog adapter to make it think its analog I would be more than happy to play with someone from overseas lol.
An analog adapter, as you put it, should allow you to use the NetLink browser as long as you find a compatible dial-up ISP. The browser will tolerate more delays than the NetLink-compatible games will, as web browsing doesn't require a synchronous connection to the Internet. NetLink games do. Unfortunately, there are many delays inherent in using a digital connection and converting it to an analog phone line that the NetLink games were never programmed to tolerate.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

lol yet in another forum umm what analog phone adapter do you recommend?

Everybody is super sonic race-in try to keep your feet right on the ground!!

Netlink games owned: Duke Nukem3D more to come in the future
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Chaosomega wrote:lol yet in another forum umm what analog phone adapter do you recommend?
See my other post. But as I said, it won't help you play NetLink games. You might be able to use it for the PlanetWeb browser, but you'll still have to find a compatible dial-up ISP.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!