I will need to assemble all game devs soon

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
segasaturndude

I will need to assemble all game devs soon

Post by segasaturndude »

soon i will be learning C language, and other computer languages so i can make games, and i would like to make games for the Sega Saturn. hell maybey i will be able to use the three processors to my advantage.
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: I will need to assemble all game devs soon

Post by Warp2063 »

Um... there are two main processors, and a bunch of various subprocessors. Far more than three. As for C compilers... I don't know what the state of Saturn-compatible ones are. I know when the Saturn first came out, the C compilers for it were horrible, and it turned out to be better to write the games in assembly. The twin main processors are each a Hitachi SH-2... I don't have a list of the other processors memorized. Even if you do write the main program in C, you might have to write some sections in assembly for the other processors... which means learning the assembly languages for each of them. This last part I'm not sure on - I'm sure that the Saturn utilizes memory-mapped I/O; I'm just not sure on what's involved in making the other processors process that data.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chemowski

Post by Chemowski »

What programming language did the Dreamcast use?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Machines don't use a programming language. Programming languages are parsed, compiled and assembled into machine code, which a processor (in the Dreamcast's case, a Hitachi SH-4) can run.

Presumably, two such programming languages people used when programming for the Dreamcast were C or C++. People probably wrote a bit in SH-4 assembly as well.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!