I bought Steeldom with the link cable

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
bellotto

I bought Steeldom with the link cable

Post by bellotto »

The impossible to find Link Cable was being sold on ebay with Steeldom. Paid 26 dollars. I don't know if it's Sega brand.

Anyone know where to find a list of games using the link cable?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: I bought Steeldom with the link cable

Post by Warp2063 »

I've looked for such a list and never actually found one... only forum threads with wild speculation and debate backed up by little to no proof whatsoever.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
agent2112

Post by agent2112 »

I just bought Geoblockers with the link cable for $15 on ebay. I know Virtual On will work, so I have bought another copy of that. While searching for more compatible games, I found this on wiki. If true, there is not much to choose from.

DirectLink

The DirectLink, also known as Link Cable, is a device that enables two Sega Saturns to connect to each other for multiplayer gameplay. The device requires two televisions and two copies of the same game.

Only 8 Games utilize the Link Cable:

Daytona USA (CCE Netlink Edition)
Doom (European and Japanese Versions Only)
Geoblockers
Gungriffon
Hexen (accessed through debug mode)
Steeldom
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers
Wipeout (Japanese Version only).
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Wish I could justify spending that $80 on a cable right now that I would probably use for only five minutes, even if I had my Saturns here at school. :/

Being a jobless, busy student is tough.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
bellotto

Post by bellotto »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steeldom-L-E-Co ... 53ea61112a

Don't buy that. That's what I originally started this thread about buying, and it didn't come with the link cable. It seems he has multiple copies of steeldom, and it's the exact listing I purchased

I just now found one that has the box, cd case, and link cable pictured, and already bought it for 13 + 10 shipping.

When I first bought the other one, it was the only listing I could find for a link cable, I did various searches. Now there's a few, although it might not last. Getting one soon is a good idea.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I don't think it is "that rare".
I've seen plenty of brand new and used copies in the last years.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
bellotto

Post by bellotto »

I wasn't saying it's rare. It's just over time to come people will buy the link cables, and from what I've seen usually there isn't a link cable at all on Ebay, and at most 2 or 3, like right now. So to get them before they do get very rare, as already they aren't around often, is a good idea.

By the way, I never meant Steeldom, just the link cable. And right now theres around 10 copies of Steeldom, and only 2 have the link cable. In the past I've seen just as many copies of Steeldom, none having the link cable.
Lakster37

Post by Lakster37 »

I saw this thread and decided I need to pick up a cable for myself (bundled with Steeldom). I've been going through the list of compatible games on both Wikipedia and Sega Retro and trying out the games I have. Here's the lists on both, they're similar but have some slight differences:

Wikipedia:
  • Daytona USA (CCE Netlink Edition)
  • Doom (European and Japanese Versions Only)
  • Geoblockers
  • Gungriffon
  • Hexen (accessed through debug mode)
  • Steeldom
  • Virtual On: Cyber Troopers
  • Wipeout (Japanese Version only)
Sega Retro:
USA/Europe DirectLink Games
  • Daytona USA Demo
  • Doom *
  • Independence Day **
  • Hexen (accessed through debug menu) *
  • Virtual-On
  • Wipeout
* - Does not work in Europe. However, they have only been tested on Blaze's system link, which is the unofficial brand.
** - According to the manual (pages 7 & 8), there is a 'Network' mode which allows you to use the DirectLinks. However, when you start the game, even with a 'Network' hooked up, it appears to do nothing.

Japanese DirectLink Games
  • Daytona USA: CCE
  • Gebockers Special Pack
  • Gun Griffon 2
  • Steeldom
  • Wipeout
I tried out both the Daytona USA Demo and Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (non-Netlink edition) and couldn't find any option for it on the menu screens of either. I did try my Japanese version of Daytona USA: CCE and got it to work, but the menus for that and the USA Demo are very different, so I may just not have been able to find it. I got the cable with Steeldom but haven't bothered testing it yet since it came bundled with the cable in the first place and I'm sure it works.

Have any of you tested any of these games or have these games and the cables and could test them against the lists? It'd be much appreciated from me at least!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I have everything I'd need for testing except for a link cable.
Lakster37

Post by Lakster37 »

Warp2063 wrote:I have everything I'd need for testing except for a link cable.
I got mine on Amazon for $30 including shipping and it got here in about a week: Used Steeldom on Amazon. I bought it from Play Import and it looks like they still have some in stock - it says used but mine came in very good condition. Came with the box and everything and it looked like the cable and game themselves had never been used. You could also keep your eye on eBay to see if any other good deals pop-up.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

The "used" games of japanese people seems to be taken care very well. Of course there are excpetions, but generally is that way.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D