Japanese Sega Saturn Console Question

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
NWA

Japanese Sega Saturn Console Question

Post by NWA »

Hi all!

I'm writing this post because I recently purchased a non-working white Sega Saturn japanese region console, but I already knew it was broke before I bought it, I figured I can easily fix it and only paid 15$, it hasn't come in yet BTW lol.

My question for this console is can I use the A/V cables from my NTSC saturn on this japanese saturn?? because I only bought the console itself, with no controllers, A/V cables, or AC Adapter (or plug, idk) so i have the A/V for my NTSC console and the ac adapter, which im pretty sure is compatible with this saturn, i dont need a volt changer or anything, and controllers which must work, so can anyone shed some light on this????? Thank you. :mrgreen: And the problem with it is that the disc never spins, as if the drive was open, thar must be an easy fix, if some know the fix plz tell me. Thanks.
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: Japanese Sega Saturn Console Question

Post by Warp2063 »

You've asked a lot of questions...

The Japanese and US systems are internally identical, except for the region setting which determines what discs the system will play. Also, the BIOS is different, so it has a different boot screen. All of the connectors are identical to the US systems, although the Japanese systems came with a different color controller. Japan's power system is close enough to that of the US that you won't need any sort of power adapter. Their TV standard is also identical.

As for a disc that won't spin... there are several possibilities. My first-gen Saturn had a spindle that had dropped... it should be possible to gently raise it - at least that's what I did with my Sega CD 2. In the case of my first-gen Saturn, I actually dropped the disc tray by a millimeter or so to prevent the disc from rubbing against the inside of the tray. To accomplish that, I removed the tray and gently filed down the underside of the tray where it rested on its supports.

Another possibility is that the drive has burnt out. To fix that, you'd need to find a replacement part. It's also possible that the cables that power or control the drive have been damaged or are loose.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

sorry for asking so many questions, im mainly here for netlink, but there are so many people on here i knew someone would have an answer. i will try your suggestions, my diagnosis was that the lever in side some how got bent and was too far out of reach so the door couldnt determine it as closed
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Oh, it's not recognizing that the drive is closed? You can run the Saturn without the whole top of the system; test the door close switch. Just make sure not to look at the laser while it's running.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

ya learnt will do lol