-HELP- What Satun game is this - If it even is a Saturn game

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Rockman1974

Re: -HELP- What Satun game is this - If it even is a Saturn

Post by Rockman1974 »

Warp2063 wrote:Yes. I didn't have any plans to buy the Saturn until I found this forum.
That's actually pretty awesome. Are you a long-time gamer? If you're ever interested in checking out what the Saturn can really do, I can give you some suggestions for some really great games. Just let me know what genres you're into. If you solely want to use a Saturn for NetLink, well that's perfectly cool too.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Depends on your definition of "long-time gamer". I got a computer and edutainment software back in 1994, but it wasn't until around three years later that I got my first video game machine, the Game Boy Pocket. I now have a reasonable, if not complete collection, ranging from as old as an Atari 400 to as new as the PS3, spanning Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sega's product lines. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I don't really have a nostalgia factor for the Saturn, I don't really play on it much. I'm really fascinated by technological accomplishments. That isn't to say that if the right game comes along, I won't play it, though...

I like adventure games, puzzles, RPGs... but I like a lot of other stuff too. It just really depends on what grabs me. I'm not usually a racing fan, but enjoy Sega Rally and Daytona... I'd love to play Policenauts if I were fluent in Japanese... Sonic Jam was kind of fun, even though I'm bad at platformers...

Several issues at the moment, though, are time and money. I'm a student again, and therefore rather poor, and also lacking in free time. Also, due to space considerations, I was only able to bring a few game systems with me to school. I won't have another opportunity to use my Sega systems until spring break at the earliest. I picked up a number of games that looked interesting back when I had a job, but I don't really have that same opportunity now.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Thanks for the info Warp. It helps. I've been gaming since 1983 and have played through virtually every console generation as it happened, which is why I asked if you were a long-time gamer. Without the nostalgia factor some of these games I would mention may not really be accessible anymore. It really depends on the gamer though. For example sometimes I recommend early 2D or early 3D games and some people love them, while others just can't overlook the sheer age of the game.

Based on what you listed for genres you enjoy, the Saturn is mostly known for Shining the Holy Ark (RPG), Shining Force III (RPG), Shining Wisdom (Adventure akin to Zelda), Dragon Force (SRPG), Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean (RPG), Dracula X - Symphony of the Night (Action adventure), The Legend of Oasis (Adventure), and Magic Knight Rayearth (RPG). I know there's the excellent Super Puzzler Fighter II Turbo as well for all your puzzle needs. There are quite a few other good ones that I just can't think of off the top of my head.

The Saturn's biggest strength is its 2D library of arcade perfect shoot 'em ups and fighters though. For those you'd have to import them all and it can be quite pricey for some. If you're curious start off with something like X-Men vs. Street Fighter which you can get for around $20, but don't forget the Action Replay Plus card to bypass the region encoding, and it actions as a 4MB RAM expansion and a memory card. Can't go wrong with that. For shooters, a nice cheaper one would be DonPachi, but that still will run you $40 or so. It's also a bullet hell shooter which may not be the best way to start getting into Shmups.

Let me know if you'd like to know any more about any of these games. I plan to review them all in time.
Chemowski

Post by Chemowski »

Thanks for telling me what game that was aswell as all those other games, Rockman. You are the man!
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

No worries. If you have any questions about anything just let me know. I've been in the industry for over 20 years now so I can recommend a ton of obscure and awesome games for almost every system out there.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm not really a huge arcade gamer... other than, again, my interest in the technical feats accomplished with arcade systems, I'm not that interested in many of the games, save a few classics... Galaga, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. I'm really bad at bullet hell games, so I'm not very interested in those outside of their artwork. I do already own an Action Replay Plus card, so I'm set in that department, despite my lack of interest in most of the games that can use it. Castlevania... I'm only so good at platformers. I like the art, story, and music... but I'm just not that into the games.

It's a bit sad - I'm more an admirer of games than an actual gamer, although I still play a fair bit. I do really enjoy RPGs and SRPGs... I just lack the time and patience to invest in them these days.

As for your other recommendations...

I already own a copy of Magic Knight Rayearth in Japanese... I couldn't justify the cost of the US release. Same goes for Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG. On top of those, I own Sakura Taisen 1 and 2 on the Saturn (and Dreamcast and PSP...). I have Shining Force III Scenario 1 in Japanese as well. I *think* I also own Super Puzzler Fighter II Turbo on the PS3...

You've listed off a number of games I wanted, but had trouble deciding to spend the money on back when I had money to spend. I'm intrigued especially by your mention of Shining Wisdom and the comparison to Zelda... It's one of those ones I kept watching on eBay, but never purchased. It would be neat to give it a shot, as well as the other games you mentioned in that block.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

sorry if i sounded like a dick warp lol, it was just abit of a slap to the face to me because the saturn has to be my fav game console, even if i never owned it when i was little. I actually grew up with an N64, SNES, PS1 (PSone tiny), and the genesis, so you'd think i'd actually be a sony fanboy but i never really enjoyed my ps1 compared to all my other systems, the only game i actually like on my ps1 was driver and driver 2, thats probably why i love the gta series so much, especially sanandreas, that one never gets old and i can play through it everytime with fun and challenge, and the music is great! Rage Against The Machine, Tupac, NWA (It was a rap group), dr.dre, ozzy, just terrific, so i actually only REALLY like sony's newest consoles, but dont get me wrong, if i find a ps1 at the right price i'll adopt it into my collection. My bro likes rpg's alot and wouldnt stop bugging me to get a copy of mario rpg on snes, so i told him its was also for virtual console because i couldnt afford the real deal of 50 bucks. but i hate rpg's for some reason, my games need to have ALOT OF murder, action, and speed lol
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

No offense was taken. My initial draw to the Saturn was more for what Sega tried to accomplish with its unique hardware than for any particular game. I do enjoy a few games for it - I mentioned that Daytona USA and Sega Rally are fun to pop in once in awhile, as is NiGHTs and Sonic Jam. If I were fluent in Japanese, I would really like to play the Japanese games I own for the system. Unfortunately, despite the fact that I can read and understand a little, I can't translate nearly quickly or accurately enough to make playing a text-heavy game enjoyable. I'd love to play my Saturn copies of Snatcher and Policenauts... I do own Virtua Cop 1 & 2, which are pretty fun, although I don't like to haul the guns out of storage.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Warp unfortunately you've hit the biggest problem when owning a system that sadly didn't take off in North America. That problem is purchasing some of the better games is going to cost you, big time. Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon Saga are best enjoyed in English unless you're perfectly fluent in Jaoanese. Both of these games are over $100 typically. Buying Snatcher and Policenauts is pretty well useless too, and the Sega CD version of Snatcher in English is $200. So umm, yeah sadly it's expected. Like I'll mention in my history of the NetLink, by mid to late 1997 the Saturn was kicked out of retail meaning that pretty well any popular game for the Saturn at that point is extremely expensive today because of just how few copies were released.

You mentioned Virtua Cop 1 and 2, so I'd recommend The House of the Dead, but again, you'd have to check out the Japanese version because the US version is over $100. I am curious, which NetLink games did you buy and how much did they end up costing because today the five games are crazy expensive.

Both you and NWA should have been there years ago, it was really rough being a Saturn fan. I spend over $120 for Panzer Dragoon Saga because it wasn't available at your local Wal Mart lol. You had to go to specialty shops in order to buy anything for the Saturn from September 1997 onward. This is why I never herd of the NetLink stuff because literally no one carried it. Those were the dark days of Sega. It started with the Sega CD and just lastest up until the launch of the Dreamcast. Thankfully things turned around, until Sega pulled the plug. That still ticks me off.

Anyways, if you guys want to check out some of the best Saturn games, sadly they're going to cost you a lot of cash unless you import, but then you won't be able to understand everything. It's a real shame because I'm sure many people would enjoy some of those RPGs I mentioned above.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I got a cheap, scratched (but with some buffing, readable) copy of Sega Rally for around $5 back in 2008. A bit later, someone informed me about a sealed box set which contained another Sega Rally and Virtua On on some random site... I think I spent around $20 on that. Duke cost me about $30, I think. Back when I was paying attention to Bomberman's price, it was around $80-100, but I don't know what it is today. I've never seriously followed Daytona's prices because they've always been ridiculous.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Wow Warp you did great man. I just bought Duke for $40, but the others are around $100 each for Virtual On, Sega Rally, and Bomberman. Daytona is just inane as you said. It was $25 back in the day lol. Crazy stuff.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I guess I just bought the stuff at the right time...
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Yeah you're telling me. Had I known of this years ago I would have bought all the games at only $25 each from Sega, well all the Sega-made ones at least. A real shame that all the third parties dropped out like Blizarrd, Capcom and GT Interactive. We would have had way more selection had the Saturn not be killed off.