How Did You Find Out About Saturn?

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
NWA

How Did You Find Out About Saturn?

Post by NWA »

How did you find out about the saturn? for me I was looking up playstation on youtube and found this review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEXCdVaThkY part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPcRVEJ8 ... ure=relmfu And I thought it would be great for the collection since I was kinda fond on the ps1 but what really had me sold were these commercials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lCJr0yVo8 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEBVe0IbqNc , and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYyztfOc-0 . after that I looked everywhere for a saturn but couldn't find one. But fate intervened when a game store opened up afew streets away from my house and I ended up accidently finding a model 2 there the second time I went. It was as is 20 bucks... It didn't work. It eventually started to work after adjusting the laser resistance, but it stil wouldn't work until i tilted the cd drive then it started responding. after that I got another model 2.. long story short i sold it. Then after that i got this model 1:

AND after that i got another model 1 thats dead. the end!
Attachments
sega saturn model 1, canadian version. May, 1995 production s/n B5 040653
sega saturn model 1, canadian version. May, 1995 production s/n B5 040653
rsz_11dscf1589.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: How Did You Find Out About Saturn?

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm sure I heard about the Saturn back when it came out, but my parents were very against video games at the time. All I had back then was edutainment software for Windows and DOS. Anyway, I'm sure the lack of popularity of the system and the fact that I wasn't aware of any of my friends owning one made me forget about it. Until 2008, when I finally purchased my first Dreamcast. I can't remember exactly what made me look online... I think I was watching a video of the boot sequences for various game systems. I was entranced by the Saturn's start up screens. I did a search to find more information about the Saturn, and that's how I discovered this site and the NetLink. I decided I wanted to help out with the NetLink community, so I found a nearby (sketchy) used game store and purchased the only Saturn they had, a Model 1. Online I purchased a copy of Sega Rally Championship (NetLink Edition), a NetLink and an Action Replay 4-in-1 Plus. Unfortunately, it turned out that the system didn't work. I didn't have any tools with me at school to open it up to see if I could fix it. During summer break I discovered that the disc was rubbing against the inside of the disc tray, preventing the disc from spinning. I removed the tray and filed its supports down about a millimeter so that the disc would sit higher relative to the bottom of the tray. Presto! It worked. I used it as my main system for a while, until I purchased a pair of Model 2's. I'm glad I have the Model 2's... my Model 1 had a weird graphics glitch with certain games... specifically anything involving NetLink menus and pretty much the entire game of NiGHTs.

Actually, I had heard of the NetLink many years before... after finding out about the NetLink, I vaguely remembered reading an article in a Boy's Life magazine years before that talked about some kind of modem for a Sega system, although I thought it had been called the Sega Satellite.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Well. IMO, this is a weird question to ask in any games forum.

Saturn is a mainstream console. Anyone that played Sonic or Street Fighter and Daytona USA in the arcades should know about the Saturn...

But well, here in Brazil it was popular. And everyone with a Sega console received periodics about the releases, so the Saturn was very anticipated. It could play almost all the games the PCs could at the time, like Myst. And anyone who played the 3 Sonic games in the Mega Drive was hoping for a Saturn version.

Well, maybe I'm too much "into" gaming to notice that some people just "don't know"... o.O
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
NWA

Post by NWA »

Where I'm from, if you know about saturn you're a little too into gaming, so thats kinda why I asked. Some people will know what I mean, for example, my friend came to my house and asked me "what are those ugly black boxes next to your tv?" And I replied "those are Sega Saturns" he said "And I'm guessing your the only person in the world that owns these?" My face :d
Better run home to momma now!
Oho

Post by Oho »

A friend had one back in high school. I wanted one so badly but couldn't afford it so I bought the magazines and followed it that way. I got a Saturn a few years ago for Christmas.