sega saturn us and jp mod please help!

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
NWA

sega saturn us and jp mod please help!

Post by NWA »

Hi all,

I am going to purchase a copy of shining the holy ark on ebay that japanese and i have a us saturn. I've seen how to's but they make me reeally confused so can someone help me on how to do this? im not looking to have a switch, just it being able to play both us and jp games. I just need someone to tell me which jumpers to solder to! here are the pics of the jumpers:
Attachments
Its a model 1
Its a model 1
satjumpers2[2].jpg (37.52 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: sega saturn us and jp mod please help!

Post by Warp2063 »

There isn't a jumper setting that allows for both US and Japanese game versions. If you tried to solder both the jumpers for the Japanese region setting AND the US region setting... depending on which jumpers would have to be linked, you'd end up doing one of several things:

1) Setting the Saturn to a region that doesn't exist
2) Setting the Saturn to a region that does exist but isn't the one that you want, or
3) In the worst case - causing an electrical short.

That's the point of the switch - it switches which jumpers are connected depending on which region you're trying to set your system to.

It's far easier to just get an Action Replay Plus, and then you don't run the risk of messing up your Saturn permanently. You'll be able to play Saturn imports from any region with it, back up game saves, and it acts as a 1MB and 4MB RAM expansion for most of the games that need them.

Edit: I remembered correctly... the US and Japan jumper settings are almost identical, but with one difference. For Japan, JP7 (+5V) is sent to the chip that decodes the region setting. For the US, JP6 (Ground) is sent to that chip. By linking both of those, you'd be connecting both +5V and the Ground to the chip... causing a short circuit. Usually when short circuits occur, things burn out, sometimes smoking or catching fire. If you're lucky, it just won't work. That's why a switch is used... You want one or the other connected to the chip, but never both.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

well I think I've found my solution! Intstead of getting an Action Replay Plus, I've found a saturn gameshark that save's games, uses codes, and will work with all region games if I go down to start game without cheats enabled and press all at he same time X,Y,Z,START. And they're only 14 bucks new!! I'm not interested in any of the games that need extra ram from japan, so this will do just fine! :mrgreen:
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I hadn't been aware that there were GameSharks for the Saturn, but I found a site that said it would work. Where did you buy yours from, out of curiosity?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

Ebay :mrgreen: there are actually two variations, this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMESHARK-FOR-S ... 27c79fb8fc and this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Shark-for- ... 5648d02b59 I got the second one off another seller for alittle cheaper :D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It's quite possible that Chinese knockoffs were made of the GameShark as well - all of the Action Replays for the Saturn these days are knockoffs manufactured in China. As long as it works as advertised...