Saturn model 2 restoration: everything you can do in here!

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
NWA

Saturn model 2 restoration: everything you can do in here!

Post by NWA »

Hi all,

here is my mk2 saturn resotration guide! very simple to do!! here you go:

Motherboard:
take off the laser drive assembly and simply spray it with compressed air. make sure it's real clean :D

Laser drive assembly:
clean the laser with a solution that wont hurt it, for example, use alcohol and q tip. its the cheapest way and works. If your laser has a hard time going up and down on the gears, its suggested you grease the gear rails just a bit. sometimes the gears just aren't alligned correctly, so just make sure everything is placed right. If you still have problems, There are 2 fixes: the laser will not run at the POT it is at, or the sega saturn is not noticing the door is closed. To fix the laser, in the back of the laser there is a yellow/orange screw, you cant miss it :mrgreen: turn it ever so slightly counter clock wise. if the problem persists, you could keep trying turning it or just buy a new laser. lasers are easy to find on ebay for around 20 dollars depending in what model you have. it is much easier to find the jvc laser online. To fix it not knowing the door is closed, just take your thumb and press together the drive door lever to the metal prong behind it. it will be located in the top left of the saturns motherboard right next to the psu, you really cant miss it. It is located on later model 1's there too, but I'm pretty sure the early ones had it attached by a cord to the top shell, so if you are using this as a model 1 restoration and cant find the lever, follow the cord that leads to the drive door. Its a much tinnier lever, but you will find it by opening and closing the door, you will see where the plastic touches the lever. It is suggested you also spray the cd board with compressed air to get the dirt outta that too. I almost forgot, get the psu with compressed air also. its the place that gets the hottest, so you really dont want dirt there.

Controller ports: not really much you can do about these but also spray them with air. some models have them seperated to the motherboard, just a little side note.

Shell portions: This is where it gets tough to remember where goes what if you're not paying attention. Anyways, let's get into it:

Cartridge slot piece: very simple to clean. Just get some water and soap to get the dirt out of those letters. VERY IMPORTANT: Remember to know which way the spring mechanism goes and how and where it fits, if you forget will not be able to put it back together. If the spring screeches when being opened, just grease it. Simply put.

Door: You may wash it under complete water, but a wet cloth will do. add soap to the water and start cleaning! Don't use anything too abrasive like rough rag or strong soap because you risk damaging the paint and plastic. Also remember which way the spring mechanism goes again, and greased it if it screeches. After everything is dry, it is still recommended that you grease the spring anyway because it helps you get a nice and slow opening door, as if the saturn was new. Grease the spikes that fit the little gear attached to the top of the shell to also help it give a like new door opening. Put everything back together and you're good to go! Wait, actualyy, you're not! that little gear I was talking about needs to be grased! get the top of the shell and unscrew the gear off then grease it. once again, this will help give it that like new door opening. once you're done, you can screw it back on to the top of the shell.

Buttons: I hacen't tried to get off the power button because I'm scrared to break it. If you want you can clean it with a damp cloth. For the reset button just take it off, and clean it with water and soap. put it back on when dry.

OPEN BUTTON: this will bee the most noticable change. It will be much tighter! Like it should! take off the open button and clean if you'd like. unscrew the screws and take off the white plastic peice and remeber the spring mechanism's way it was put. clean the white peice too if you'd like. Once you're done cleaning the peices, put them back in place. make sure the spring is placed correctly and fits well around the hole where the screw to the right goes. This is key for it to be tighter, because after a while what happens to some model 2 saturns like in my case, the spring gets out of place and gets loose, resulting in you being able to easily move the open button left, right, up, and down. the only way to make sure your spring will stay is by screwing both screws VERY tight. For me I heard a clicking noise after tightening it, but that might not happen for you. after all that check to see if it's tight, you'll notice an extreme difference right away :D I don't know if i mentioned to grease this spring too, so if you want you can, but I didn't.

Top shell: Clean it with water and soap, nothing too abrasive. if it's scratched you could buff it, but I wouldnt try it though I've seen someone do it before and it turned out REALLY nice. I didn't need to do it in my case. If you want it to shine without the buff, you can put armor all or anything like that. nothing too strong tough. I used vaseline, and after rubbed in, it looked beutiful! :D

Bottom shell: You can do the same as the top, but you risk taking off the stickers. I just rubbed it down around the sides with a damp cloth. If you're gonna clean it big time, LET IT DRY ALOT. iT'S WHERE THE MOTHERBOARD SITS, REMEMBER THAT.

Well, thats about all you can do to resotre it. You could get more technical but whatever, this is what I did and I was really happy with the result.

Happy Gaming,

NWA
Better run home to momma now!
NWA

Re: Saturn model 2 restoration: everything you can do in her

Post by NWA »

BTW please no hate Worked really hard on this :D
Better run home to momma now!