Sega cd model 2 question

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
NWA

Sega cd model 2 question

Post by NWA »

My sega cd model 2's spindle is weird.... It looks like the picture provided, but the black part around the spindle can spin freelyby itself. Is this normal? It also can be pressed down like a spring is under it
Attachments
It is the dnut shaped black part that spins freely * this one is not mine i got this pic online. Mine has a silver circle around the black round peice
It is the dnut shaped black part that spins freely * this one is not mine i got this pic online. Mine has a silver circle around the black round peice
SEGACD01[1].jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 13269 times
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: Sega cd model 2 question

Post by Warp2063 »

The black ring spins on mine, but not independently of the "peg" that fits through the center hole of a CD. There is some give to the spindle when I press down on it to absorb shocks, but if I recall correctly, there were rubber bumpers within that gave it that range of movement, not a spring.

I read that there were at least two models of the SEGA CD 2, so it's possible that you got a different model than mine. Or maybe yours was repaired by someone in the past who used a different part. I can't guarantee that all the parts of mine came from the same machine - I bought mine from a reseller that buys lots of old systems and repairs them. Sometimes parts get mixed and matched between machines.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

Thanks for the info Warp. Here's a pic of mine with a screw driver pointed at the black piece, just to be more specific:
Attachments
The black circle I'm pointing at spins freely, so the silver circle doesn't spin with it, does yours do this?
The black circle I'm pointing at spins freely, so the silver circle doesn't spin with it, does yours do this?
rsz_dscf1625.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 13264 times
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Interesting. Does that little black circle lift off? I wonder if someone set something on it and it just... stayed there. Or maybe it is indeed part of that particular spindle. Mine does not have that. Unrelated - I do notice that you're missing the shield that goes over the laser unit track, at least in that picture. I would be fairly surprised if the other SEGA CD 2 model came without one, so my guess is that someone opened yours up at some point... possibly replacing the spindle. Does your unit work properly?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

I took off the sheild :D I twas rubbing up against the disc because someone who previously went under the hood (sega: This is a refurbished unit) placed it uneven. When I tried it at the store it didn't work it said no disc, but I cleaned the laser since then and someone whos spindle looks exactly like mine on youtube said it is perfectly normal :D so my problem is resolved and everything is working well now. *EDIT: Do you know if my scd would be an early or late production unit? It is manafactured august 1994
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Mine was November 1994. But as I said before, the seller I bought it from buys up lots of old units and repairs and resells as many as he can. I have no idea if mine has all the original parts or not. When I received it, it was missing most of the screws that hold the unit shut, so he mailed me a set of screws in an envelope.

As for the shield... I wonder if you could do what I did for my Saturn. I sanded down the underside of the shield to drop it a millimeter or two to allow the disc to spin freely.
NWA

Post by NWA »

nah, its made of medal
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

What about the supports that the shield screws into?
NWA

Post by NWA »

let me take a look at that ill have to go under the hood
NWA

Post by NWA »

well the piece that supports the laser and gears in place on a rail is what the shield screws onto. this is also made of metal
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Oh, wait! On my SEGA CD 2 I had to raise the spindle to get discs to spin without rubbing against the shield! I forgot about that! It worked okay when I got it, but you could hear the disc scraping as it spun. So... I fixed it!

With the shield and drive casing removed, I chose a flat metal tool (I chose a small paint scraper) and placed the flat surface on top of the metal rod from the spindle assembly. I then placed my index and middle finger underneath the surface that the CD sits on, with the metal rod between the two fingers. I placed my thumb on top of the paint scraper. I then gently squeezed those two fingers towards my thumb, causing the surface to move up the rod. Once the top of the metal rod was even with the top of that support surface, I stopped. No more scraping. Easy-peasy!
NWA

Post by NWA »

I think I'll have to do this too. look what my sega cd did to my copy of sewer shark:
Attachments
See those rings?? scratches.. -_-
See those rings?? scratches.. -_-
rsz_dscf1626.jpg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 13252 times
NWA

Post by NWA »

*Something I found out thats a little interesting: The sega cd model 1 has THE EXACT identical spindle as my model 2