Sega Genesis AV mod

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
NWA

Sega Genesis AV mod

Post by NWA »

Hey everyone,

Every time I used to use my genesis I would use rf because I couldn't find an AV cables in my area, so I decided to almost permanently mod my genesis model 2 for AV. I can take it apart with a little bit of effort but whatever. Let's get into it:

So I took apart the genesis and looked at the pinout at the back and wasnt able to pin point where goes what, so I found this little picture online that shows me the points soldered to the board's meaning, which is exactly what I needed. Now because I have a Sega CD attached to my Genesis, I didn't apply any audio jacks, I only put a video one. heres the pic of the pinout btw: http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en& ... 3,s:0,i:78 So this was very simple. I took a composite video cord and stripped it on one end, then I actually glued the composite wires, twisted them together so they all are like one thick cord btw remember to do that, to the composite solder point on the board, then I took the ground wires, twisted them together, and glued those wires to the ground solder point, then after all that I had a short yellow end of a video cord hanging out, so I decided that I'd then attach an rca single extension adapter. If you feel like its cramped in there to solder the composite wires to the pinout there are two other solder points on the same trace so those will work too. I also did this because my genesis I just got off a friend didnt come with an rf switch, well, at least not a working one :D This is a fun and easy mod to do if you know what are doing and I suppose you could do an s video mod also if you know the solder point pinouts on the board for s video but thats one I'll sit out on for now! Hoped this helped if anyone will actually read it and yeah Happy Gaming!

P.S, Here's what my finished product looked like:
Attachments
Here it is! I know, I know it looks like crap but the fact is it works!!! Plus If ever I'm missing the cords I can just go to the dollar store an get some for, well, a dollar! :D
Here it is! I know, I know it looks like crap but the fact is it works!!! Plus If ever I'm missing the cords I can just go to the dollar store an get some for, well, a dollar! :D
rsz_sega_mega_d_mod.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 7851 times
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: Sega Genesis AV mod

Post by Warp2063 »

I just purchased the correct cable off of the internet. No modding required!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Re: Sega Genesis AV mod

Post by NWA »

You could do that..... but I found this a much funner experience, the game store that let's me buy off ebay was closed, and I didnt want to wait a week or so for the cable to arrive, and like I said the required cable is now much more easy to find :D so I'm feeling like a boss after successfully completing this mod :mrgreen:
Better run home to momma now!