i cant believe the netlink league is still going strong

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
psychy

i cant believe the netlink league is still going strong

Post by psychy »

i cant believe the netlink league is still going strong after all these years. not sure if this is the same netlink league from 1997-1999. well, i just decided to sound off and let everyone know that i was here just in case i run into a few familiar faces.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: i cant believe the netlink league is still going strong

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, there are at least a few of us who poke around here. I don't know how many are original Netlinkers, though. I've only owned a Saturn since 2008, so I can't count myself as one of them.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I found out about the netlink around 2009. Wish I had heard of it earlier.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'd heard about the NetLink back around when it came out - I remember reading about it in one of my old Boys' Life magazines. Years later, though, I'd forgotten the name - I somehow remembered it as the "Sega Satellite". Apparently there are third-party devices by such a name, but they're very rare. I don't remember what they were supposed to have done.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Well I forgot the Saturn even existed. The last memory I have from back in the day was seeing a commercial for NiGHTS and thinking it looked pretty cool. Then it was around 2006 that I started getting heavily into video games due to having a real job and being able to buy all the shit I didn't have as a kid. One night on wikipedia I saw a one sentence entry on the Saturn page about the netlink and found this place right here.

After some reason I got a huge boner for the Netlink and Saturn in general. Saw that the modem itself was dirt cheap and found all the games for a fucking steal. Duke Nukem I got $15 complete, Sega Rally came in a bundle I bought for a friend so I got that as payment for my efforts and picked up a shrink wrapped copy of Virtual On for $4.95 shipped. The listing said it was for the ps1 but it had a picture so I figured fuck it worst case I'm out $5. It was glorious opening the shrink wrap on a Saturn game for the first time. And Manji sold me a copy of Saturn Bomberman for $30 that he found at a thrift shop where he lives. Really thankful for that. Have you seen the prices that goes for these days? It's gotten really popular for the 10 player feature and I keep hearing about it at conventions.
Game collection on my site.
psychy

Post by psychy »

got my netlink in 1997 and frequented irc until about 1999. came back to planetweb after the dreamcast's release but didnt chat much with it.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've owned my NetLinks since 2008, with the intention of working on them. Now I've moved cross-country, my Saturn stuff is all in boxes back home, and I *still* want to work on them.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I've got my saturn in 2006 I think.
But I always knew about the Saturn. In Brazil Sega stuff was very popular with even Master System and Mega Drive being comercialized in the N64 and Dreamcast days.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I was only vaguely aware of the Saturn up until shortly before I bought mine in 2008. Back when it was released, I was much more interested in the N64 and to a lesser extent, the PlayStation.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Good to see most of the core still check the boards. I try to look once a month.

I moved onto the sega-saturn.co.uk boards. Very deep and active Saturn community there. No Netlink talk though, thats still just here :)

Warp I see you left comfy Western New York :)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yup. Came out here looking for work and stuff.
Sonic_Ecco

Post by Sonic_Ecco »

I am new to these forums and Net link. Have had my Saturn since the mid 90's. Just got my Net Link cards this year and have doubles of Rally and Virtual On to have battles. I love this technology. No system or game updates to download and play, no intrusive hackers(I like the friendly ones). Just plug and play. I will not be dialing outside of my phone simulator until I have access to a analogue line, probably just a few times a year, unless I find another mode.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I like the classic racing games most of all. I'd like to try Bomberman, but never got a game of it going.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I like how the league is going strong lol
it's our fault...yes... u_u'
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I try to check the boards once a month for nostalgia :)

I moved onto the sega-saturn.co.uk boards . Its a very active Saturn community. Just no netlink since its a lot of Europeans.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!