Sharing SEGA Saturn game save files

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
alpha&omega

Sharing SEGA Saturn game save files

Post by alpha&omega »

Does any one here have a Saturn USB Datalink device? I just ordered one. It allows you to transfer save files from the Saturn console to your PC so you can back them up and send to others via email or post online for all to use. You can also use game saves created by Saturn emulators. I know it's been around since 2009 but I haven't seen much about it on the internet.

I'm ready to share some save files with anyone who has a Datalink device. Just let me know what game saves you may be looking for. The Netlink used to be the only way to upload and download save files to the Saturn, but this Datalink device is even better. You can even download homebrew games onto the Saturn with this device.

http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/DataLink
Got Netlink?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: Sharing SEGA Saturn game save files

Post by Warp2063 »

I own one. It doesn't let you back up individual saves, as I recall - it just makes a full backup of your Saturn's battery-backed save RAM. You also need to have an Action Replay Plus with the comms port on top to use it. It has been a while, though, so I could be mistaken, or maybe he's added functionality that wasn't there before. But if I'm correct... unless you really want to write over the entirety of your save RAM with the entirety of someone else's save RAM... it's less useful than you'd think. Especially if you're writing over your own NetLink configuration files with someone else's. It does a few other neat things too, like let you transfer and run very small homebrew programs on the Saturn when used with your Action Replay Plus, but those don't persist when you shut off the power.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

For me, "USB" and Saturn just doesn't look right together.

And, sharing save files is also a thing that I'm not really into. I think that the (my) save files themselves are the interesting part. Not like today with all that integrated scores and stuff.

But for those who like trying stuff like said above, looks fine. Tell us about the results when tryed, if possible.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
alpha&omega

Post by alpha&omega »

Warp2063, do you use the latest version of the software? The latest hardware revision allows user defined memory backup of saves.
Got Netlink?
alpha&omega

Post by alpha&omega »

Rogue wrote:For me, "USB" and Saturn just doesn't look right together.

And, sharing save files is also a thing that I'm not really into. I think that the (my) save files themselves are the interesting part. Not like today with all that integrated scores and stuff.

But for those who like trying stuff like said above, looks fine. Tell us about the results when tryed, if possible.
I thInk the main factor for me is archiving my save files to PC. If my memory carts ever lose my fIles, at least I can download the save files to the Saturn from PC.
Got Netlink?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I honestly haven't used my Saturn much in the last year, and consequently haven't been using the accessories. I updated the software when I last used it, but I don't remember when that occurred. Being back at school has meant much more time for studies and much less time for gaming. As such, I don't even bring most of my stuff with me, as it's a pain to haul around.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!