Carters Retro Reviews

This is the place for anything about Sega Saturn
Oho

Carters Retro Reviews

Post by Oho »

Hi All,

Just letting you know that I review Sega Saturn games (among other Sega-related games and a few Nintendo games but I tend to ignore them mostly). I'd love it if you check it out. I have a (typically unrelated) intro, a title screen and then the review.

Night Warriors - Darkstalkers Revenge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK389-yvPus
Contra - Legacy of War:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzr64cHnGJs
Hang On 96:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR6EH0ZMkY
Dragonheart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7PNmmbzHJw
In the Hunt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El6hPdoh18s
There a lots more. When there are more uploaded, I shall post here.
Thank you for checking it out. :)
xDerekRx

Re: Carters Retro Reviews

Post by xDerekRx »

Good stuff Carter, keep em coming. I love when people do reviews of lesser played Saturn games.

I assume youre an Aussie from the sound of it
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Oho

Post by Oho »

I am very much Australian. Some say painfully Australian as everyone has point out to me I pronounce Sega wrong. We always had ads here that said Seega. Whereas, the rest of the world assures me it is pronounced Sayga. And yes, I have had it pointed out to me at the Start of Sonic games it goes Saaaaaaaayyyyga.
It reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dZ5ZnwDEol
Oho

Post by Oho »

xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Ha No need to apologize for your Auzziness.

I traveled around Australia last year. Really enjoyed it. Im a big cricket and AFL fan (Go Roos). What part are you from or currently occupy.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Oho

Post by Oho »

Brisbane. There is literally no retro scene here at all. There are flea markets but the retro stuff they do have is common crap. And it is all kept in the worst condition.
mick_aka

Post by mick_aka »

He gets around this lad ;-)
Oho

Post by Oho »

Hey Mick! And yep - I am busy whoring my reviews out to other forums as well. Still doesn't detract from my love of the Saturn. :D
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I was hoping youd say like Perth, Adelaide, or Melbourne... dont care much for the Brisbin' types

Just kidding

Keep pumping out those reviews. They are good quality which is most important to me. And your jokes arent toooo forced which helps :)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Oho

Post by Oho »

New review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIiSHc-A78
Thanks for letting me post here. :)
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIiSHc-A78

This is less of a review and more of a platform for your comedy. I'm way burnt out on that shit. When I watch a review I want to hear about the game not about the presenter and how he feels about dicks, guns and jerking off all wonderful things I found out about you. I don't mind watching longer videos but I feel more than 5 minutes for a review can be a real pain to watch when 60% of the content is about the presenter and a lot of the youtube audience won't have patience for it. Almost 40 seconds on an unrelated hand job joke before the intro...had I been looking for a review and saw that I probably would have skipped it. Production quality is great. If I were being anal I'd say work on your lighting but I live in that glass house so I'll hold onto my stones.

So it boils down to this; Are you trying to make a comedy video or a video game review?

Also you aren't familiar with the legendary Game Fan magazine? Shameful display. :D Look up Dave Halversons review of Cyber Morph. He was allegedly high as fuck on Acid at the time which having tried LSD I totally get that vibe from that review.
Game collection on my site.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Agreed production value is great... Love the intros.

But could do with more about the game and less jokes that take 2 minutes to unfold :)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On

Oho

Post by Oho »

JerryTerrifying, I guess I'm not really sure. Originally it was all about the game. Then I realized these reviews have no personality. Hard to believe that it took me like 2 months (and four attempts) to get the first video out. My friends were not being supportive or anything. I was learning how to edit videos and how to do it right. Still took me like 10 reviews to get it to near where I am today.

What would be the difference between CGR and my reviews if I just stuck to the game? You get my flavour about with my videos. Yes, you also get opinions and stuff about me but I also thought that gave it a real personal edge you don't get with typical reviews. When I watch a review, they're usually boring. So I try and add comedy to keep you watching.
I get that you're burnt out on videos in the guise of something else and there is not much I can do about that except just tell you not to watch them. I appreciate them if you do but, if you don't, I'm not going to be upset about it. I've had too many people already give me a hard time over my videos. ESPECIALLY on reddit - they were fucking brutal. Nothing constructive - just telling me I was fat, ugly and should go die was one comment. Another said my video making skills looked like it was done by 3 downies and Monkey with a crayon or I was a Zero Punctuation and AVGN wannabe...etc. If I am ever feeling good about my videos or myself, I just post it on reddit to take me down a few pegs, hah. In a weird way though, those reviews I post get more views. Even if it is people hating on me constantly. I don't know what it proves apart from making me feel bad. I tend to never reply to those posts. Plus, I learnt early on not to do that. I've already pissed people off by replying. I am just really lucky that I've had a small handful of people who have been really supportive to keep me going.
The videos never get a big audience and I have accepted this no matter how good the videos look because a lot of people don't really care about the parts I talk about myself. Why would I do it then if I got a bigger audience by sticking to the game and keeping it on topic? They're my videos and that is how I want them to be. If it makes you feel any better, I've seen other videos/channels poorly recorded, poorly edited (if at all), poorly written and they still fare a lot better than mine do.
It's a review in the sense that you get my opinion and I do talk about the game somewhat. Sometimes I talk about completely unrelated things to spice things up. I told you the stuff you need to here, I made the recommendation AND here is something else/different. I am not saying you had to watch all of the video. These videos started because I it was a mixture of showing off my game collection by going through what I had and then writing about whatever I thought of at the time.
The intros were these things that weren't ever about the game and some people love them and some people hate them. Prime example right here: xDerekRx loves the intros whereas you didn't. I have no plans on changing them until I run out of funny things (I think) to do/say.

Oh and I am very aware of who Game Fan are. It was a bad attempt at a joke.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll take that into consideration next time. Not this upcoming review since I've already written it but the ones after that. It certainly has given me something to think about, though.
Oho

Post by Oho »

By the way, there ARE reviews I have done (eg. Columns) that the review was all about the game (minus the intro, of course).
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Well what bothered me the most was the political comments. Your stance on gun control has absolutely no place in a video about a 15 year old side scrolling action game. Shit like that is happening way to much on sites like Shitaku. While you weren't click baiting or trying to be controversial for clicks this is just a bad time to have that shit. A lot of people are getting fed up with gender politics in the world of gaming right now. It's why I've stopped following games for the time being.

"What would be the difference between CGR and my reviews if I just stuck to the game?" But Mark doesn't stick to just the game. He makes tons of pop culture references and jokes in every video nearly. If you made a pure video game review it would MORE unique. Everyone wants to be a youtube star so they ape all the character reviews and a lot of people are getting tired of it. While you're not creating a character I doubt in your every day life you try to toss out that many jokes rapid fire.

Also when you make threads to promote yourself you're going to get a much harsher reaction from some people. And your biggest sin is going to Reddit. That place is a dump.

Here are two of my reviews.

Three Dirty Dwarves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeAACVXKNPY

Super GB Booster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYVJzpk3DE

Nothing amazing and the production values could be way higher. Now lets hear why my videos are shit. :D
Game collection on my site.